Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

While looking through the mechanics section of BGG, I didn't see anything that really identified the mechanic where characters grow in power during the game (level up, gain new skills, all that cheese). Does this fall under one of the existing categories, or are there just not enough games to warrant a mechanic for this?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd call it character development, but it may just be part of campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't "character development" a result of some game mechanism?

For example, if you draw a card and it improves your character, that's a result of the card draw.

The same would happen if you gain power by other mechanisms such as auction, card draft, die roll, swapping cards, chit draws, etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because that isn't a mechanic, gaining power is the effect of a mechanic. Mechanics describe how a game is played, not really goals or what occurs during the game. So in a game like Pathfinder, where your character gets more powerful, he's getting more powerful through card drafting. Pool building is the mechanic, but the effect is that the character has "new skills, all that cheese."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh ok, thanks for the explanation.

So.... that leads me to think about a game like Descent, where the scenario finishes the character is assigned experience and gold and can use that to purchase skills and equipment to carry to the next scenario. So in this case would the mechanic be 'scenario based
and the effect is the level up?

Am I even on the right track?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.