Popular Tags: [View All]
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Just wanting some input on playing lopsided battles. Basically I am going to use Bolt Action to simulate battles from a ww2 board game.

Like all ww2 board games Germany is strong at the start and then it swings back in the allies favour. This means that some battles in BA will have to be where one side is outnumbered making it hard or almost impossible to win (and just trying to hold on or do as much damage to the opponent as possible).

I can explain more about the system I am using if you are interested but it’s basically each 'pip' on the counter/block in the board game would give you 250points in Bolt Action.

I am thinking that the armies will be made up of 250point increments, however, I am thinking in a close battle (i.e. 6pips vs. 5pips) the board game that I am using pretty much means the battle could go either way. In Bolt Action though would say a 250point difference (i.e. 1500points vs 1250points) be generally too much to overcome and thus not make it a close battle?

If so I could always reduce the increment (to any number) to 100points to make close battles more fair. I suppose I could argue that British army’s lose 1000point games and they always have 1100points (due to the artillery obs).

Any thoughts or experiences are welcome

Thanks,

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive played around with some home made scenarios. When a defender is holding a location, I reduce the forces by 1/3. Seemed to do ok. This is also how they do it on the Omaha beach scenario

400 points for defender. 600 for the attacker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You also might want to think of some special scenario rules to balance things out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RayGuns wrote:
You also might want to think of some special scenario rules to balance things out.

Yeah, some ideas about the defender getting to lay down the terrain as he chooses the battlefield to engage the attacker ... maybe get some bunkers and trenches as extra defenses ... what are the objectives, so the defender can focus his best troops to protect them ... Yeah, lots to think on/play about with!

Walts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Alligator Creek scenario released by Warlords has uneven points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the information.

In an unmodified scenario what do you think is the most points difference there can be while still giving the person who has the less points an 'ok to good' chance of winning?

I am guessing it would be at least 100 points (judging all British armies are basically 100 points up (free FAO)) but I am not sure how far to take it....250points is my current limit but this may be too much. I was thinking more like 150-200 points.

Any input/opinions are greatly appreaciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.