Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: POLL: Post-Daybreak Expansion Balance Comparison rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nandor V
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Battlestar Galactica has 3 expansions with different objectives (destinations) and other optional game variants it can cause a real headache to combine them into a well-balanced game.

I searched for a summary where the players share their experience about this topic, but all I have found is the following thread:
POLL: Balance.

I think making it was a great idea, but unfortunately it is outdated. So let's make an up-to-date version of it - to aid the puzzled players, or just to give recommendations to each other!

Consider the 5-player Base Game as "Balanced" in order to be unified.

I have created different questions for each expansion combinations, so you can easily find and edit your answers and the combinations you have played with.

EDIT: Don't scare anyone the size of the poll, you probably won't answer all of the questions!
You can skip questions, there's no need for a huge amount of "Don't know" answer - basically it's just for correction as it was a problem before: Re: POLL: Balance.

Poll: Post-Daybreak Expansion Balance Comparison
Kobol = Destination Kobol
New Caprica = Destination New Caprica + Basic Pegasus elements
Ionian Nebula = Destination Ionian Nebula + Basic Exodus elements
Earth = Destination Earth + Basic Daybreak elements

Pegasus = Basic Pegasus elements
CL = Conflicted Loyalties + Basic Exodus elements
CFB = Cylon Fleet Board + Basic Exodus elements
Daybreak = Basic Daybreak elements
1. Pegasus Expansion Balance
  Favors Cylons Slightly favors Cylons Balanced Slightly favors Humans Favors Humans Don't know
Kobol + Pegasus
New Caprica
2. Exodus Expansion Balance
  Favors Cylons Slightly favors Cylons Balanced Slightly favors Humans Favors Humans Don't know
Kobol + CL
Kobol + CFB
Kobol + CL + CFB
Ionian Nebula
Ionian Nebula + CL
Ionian Nebula + CFB
Ionian Nebula + CL + CFB
3. Daybreak Expansion Balance
Kobol + Daybreak
Earth
4. Pegasus + Exodus Expansions Balance
Kobol + Pegasus + CL
Kobol + Pegasus + CFB
Kobol + Pegasus + CL + CFB
New Caprica + CL
New Caprica + CFB
New Caprica + CL + CFB
Ionian Nebula + Pegasus
Ionian Nebula + Pegasus + CL
Ionian Nebula + Pegasus + CFB
Ionian Nebula + Pegasus + CL + CFB
5. Pegasus + Daybreak Expansions Balance
Kobol + Pegasus + Daybreak
New Caprica + Daybreak
Earth + Pegasus
6. Exodus + Daybreak Expansions Balance
Kobol + Daybreak + CL
Kobol + Daybreak + CFB
Kobol + Daybreak + CL + CFB
Ionian Nebula + Daybreak
Ionian Nebula + Daybreak + CL
Ionian Nebula + Daybreak + CFB
Ionian Nebula + Daybreak + CL + CFB
Earth + CL
Earth + CFB
Earth + CL + CFB
7. Pegasus + Exodus + Daybreak Expansions Balance
Kobol + Pegasus + Daybreak + CL
Kobol + Pegasus + Daybreak + CFB
Kobol + Pegasus + Daybreak + CL + CFB
New Caprica + Daybreak + CL
New Caprica + Daybreak + CFB
New Caprica + Daybreak + CL + CFB
Ionian Nebula + Pegasus + Daybreak
Ionian Nebula + Pegasus + Daybreak + CL
Ionian Nebula + Pegasus + Daybreak + CFB
Ionian Nebula + Pegasus + Daybreak + CL + CFB
Earth + Pegasus + CL
Earth + Pegasus + CFB
Earth + Pegasus + CL + CFB
      10 answers
Poll created by XPLogan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Holy spreadsheet batman.

I don't think anyone has played the game enough in all of those combinations for this vote to have any relevance. But kudos for making an epic poll like that, must have taken some effort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nandor V
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, I know that there's a huge amount of possible combinations. And I agree with you: probably nobody has played with all of them (enough time).
But I didn't even think that anyone will answer all of the questions. Just deliver an opinion on what you're familiar with.

However I have edited the post to avoid misunderstandings in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you by balance?

Do you mean every game is equally winnable by a skilfull player, or that across all games played with the same parameters there is some expected percentage of human wins, or that games are close, decided at the last possible moment?

The number of pre-sleeper and post-sleeper cylons, and CL Agendas or CL Motives, and the order of the crisis deck, and how the players are playing the game have much more profound effects than which modules are added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any discussion of game balance in BSG requires splitting out the 5-player and 6-player game (and with Cylon Leader or Mutineer). Do you want 5er or 6er responses in your poll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.