Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Below is the conversion of the Operative made to be used as a team with the Vengeance rules.

My final team conversion, I have changed Gloomweaver to add a nice interaction with other target, he constantly spits out zombies as villain target are destroyed. Not only that but his usual cohort of cultist, keep him a very real threat to the heroes.

For more alternate and custom villains go to Yoshi's Scum and Villainy Thread.

Gloomweaver (HP: 30)
Setup
At the start of the game, put Gloomweaver’s villain character card into play, Nightmare Walker side up.
Search the Gloomweaver deck for the card “Pouch of Bones” and 2 zombie cards, put them into play. Remove these cards from Gloomweaver’s deck” 2 Cursed Acolyte, Drum of Despair, Grimoire of Curses, 1 Vast Following. Shuffle the villain deck.
Gameplay
Whenever a non-zombie villain target is destroyed, search Gloomweaver’s trash for a zombie card and put it into play.
In Gloomweaver’s cards text, replace “Villain deck” by “Gloomweaver’s deck” and “Villain Turn” by “Gloomweaver’s Turn”. (H) = 3 regardless of the number of heroes in play.
Advanced
Gloomweaver is considered a zombie and increase damage dealt by zombies by 1.

Gloomweaver (Incapacitated)
At the start of Gloomweaver’s turn, A hero’s player musT discard a cards choosen, randomly. if it is not A One-Shot, the hero
deals himself 2 Psychic damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
The set up for on the card and in the text is different, one has all zombies in the trash, the other has 2 in play.

He should be fun, hopefully trying him tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The text is right, I will correct the card tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am confusing version with my different version. The text is wrong, the card is right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Oh man, Gloomy is a boss.

That drum just crushes, the healing and the zombie spamming, it's vicious.

It's also perfect. He's not the hardest Team villain, but he's close, and that is an awesome change from his regular version.

I would make a few changes though.

1. Cut the non-character part out of the zombie pulling. Let him turn his allies into zombies. It makes the text easier to read and only brings at most 4 zombies into the game.

2. His advanced text, him being a zombie is fine, but Zombies are only a threat for their healing. They do 1 damage. Chosen Disciple and Strength of the grave help give a Burst effect if you try leaving them all in play so the drum doesn't heal everything, but other than that 1 damage is ignorable. Once the drum is in the trash Zombies are nothing.

I'd make the Advanced text increase damage dealt by zombies by 1. they still aren't a huge threat, but focusing down some other targets and ending up with 4 zombies in play hurts a lot more at 2 per hit.

So Gloomy is a Zombie, Zombies deal +1 damage should be good. The melee and Projectile immunity is rough, since it just crushes certain heroes, and while that works well solo, in this version it kind of stinks.

Overall Gloomy is awesome sitting back turning everything into zombies. It is just wicked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantaskippy wrote:
1. Cut the non-character part out of the zombie pulling. Let him turn his allies into zombies. It makes the text easier to read and only brings at most 4 zombies into the game.

Same problem as with the Dreamer, character are not destroyed, so that would make the wording a bit too complicated.
Phantaskippy wrote:
2. His advanced text, him being a zombie is fine, but Zombies are only a threat for their healing. They do 1 damage. Chosen Disciple and Strength of the grave help give a Burst effect if you try leaving them all in play so the drum doesn't heal everything, but other than that 1 damage is ignorable. Once the drum is in the trash Zombies are nothing.
I'd make the Advanced text increase damage dealt by zombies by 1. they still aren't a huge threat, but focusing down some other targets and ending up with 4 zombies in play hurts a lot more at 2 per hit.
So Gloomy is a Zombie, Zombies deal +1 damage should be good. The melee and Projectile immunity is rough, since it just crushes certain heroes, and while that works well solo, in this version it kind of stinks.

I would assume it is the other way around, the immunity is terrible in a solo game nerfing some heroes completely, in team play, there is always somebody else to destroy. I like that the advanced is defensive as I don't really see him as a damage dealer much more like a damage soak and annoyance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Character cards are destroyed, they just have rules that change what happens to them when they are destroyed.

That's why you can use Wrathful Gaze on a Villain Character card.

The problem with Immunities in this format is that there is no other way to defeat him.
In the original on the side where he has immunities you can win by destroying the relics, which don't have immunity. When he flips Gloomy loses the immunity.

If the goal is to make the drum the focus, you could make Gloomy indestructible if it is in play, but I think the Zombie damage reduction from the drum does enough to achieve that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
I thought character cards (with inactive sides, like heroes and team villains) essentially behaved like "if this card would be destroyed, instead flip it. So they never actually get destroyed (or leave play). I don't have a reference for that on hand though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Villains have always been destroyed, from the rulebook:

"Unless stated otherwise, when a Villain Character Card is reduced to 0 or fewer hp, the villain is destroyed and the heroes win the game."

Some other instances of rules:

Apostate and his flip condition only triggers when he is reduced to 0 or fewer HP, you can defeat him without triggering the Relic revival mechanic with Sucker Punch or Wrathful Gaze (or another ability like those).

It's a really cool trick to pull off, and is official.

I know not everyone hangs out at the official site and reads all the rulings on weird scenarios that can come up, but I love that stuff.

The wording from the Vengeance rulebook for incapping Vengeance villains is the same as the enhanced edition rulebook for heroes. I'm a little sad they didn't update it, but Christopher has stated that it should be treated as saying when a hero is destroyed, by reducing their hp to 0 (or less) or otherwise flip their card.

I believe it is the same for the Vengeance vilains.

If a player treats them as not being destroyed it won't ruin the wording, they will do as they see fit, and at most the difference would be at most 4 zombies entering play over a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
That makes sense; I recall seeing discussion of Final Wasteland removing heroes, and I was trying to remember how it went about it.

Off topic, but what happens to Omnitron if you destroy him before his devices? I know official ruling on the Chairman is that he goes in the trash if he's destroyed first (we remove him from the game instead). What was the ruling on his rules card effects, does the buff go away when he's gone? For Omnitron, can Flechettes and components cause him to deal damage if he's been destroyed?

I should check to see if Spiff has compiled all these answers for me already ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Omnitron's card states that when he's destroyed remove him from play and continue.

I didn't remember that until I looked though, I was like "Ooh, that's a great question."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card updated with Phantaskippy suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.