Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
1/182 Betty miniature

Some of you have most likely noticed the 1/182 miniature of Mitsubishi G4M2 Betty that is being offered by a few internet shops. 1/182 scale is fairly close to our beloved 1/200 - actually, in case of this classic Japanese bomber the difference is just 1cm across the whole wing span. That means you can easily mix it with your 1/200 minis - considering the perspective view of the planes on the mat, there is nothing to be really bothered with.

My one arrived recently - i purchased it on eBay, here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODEL-POWER-MITSUBISHI-G4M2-BETTY-....

Here is some basic info on the bomber (gamewise):

Crew of 7
1. Pilot
2. Co-Pilot
3. Radio operator / bomb dropper / front gunner
4. Left side gunner
5. Right side gunner
6. Dorsal gunner
7. Tail gunner

I decided to simulate G4M2 Model 22 and 24C.

Model 22

- The Radio operator was handling a ball-mounted (= wide fire arc) front MG as well as a hand-held MG that could shoot through holes
on both sides of the nose. All that 7.7 mm MGs
- Both side gunners had 7.7 mm MGs
- The dorsal turret (360 deg.) had a 20 mm cannon
- The tail gunner was shooting 20 mm cannon

Model 24C
The later model 24C had the 7.7mm side MGs replaced by 20mm cannons, and the frontal 7.7 mm MG was upgraded to a 13mm MG.

Building a plastic base

I built my own base from acrylic sheets, as a sandwich of two sheets with a foil slip between them to get the fire angles.
For more information on how to build a bomber base please check out this: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1060098/make-your-own-cu...

This is a foil slip i use for my Betty 22 and 24C base

Airplane cards and management card
Click on the picture (or open it in a separate tab). That will get you to the Geek gallery, then click on the biggest format (1299 x 956) and save it on your disk. That is a 1:1 card ready for print, 300dpi.

Model 22

Model 24C

Management card

- I left the front MG fire arc same as what i use for my He111 - it had also a ball-mount system.
- Betty has the side posts a bit asymmetrical, as you can see ...
- I omitted the hand-held 7.7 front gun that was shot from either left or right side of the front "greenhouse", it had 80 deg fire arc in case anyone wants to add it.
- The tail MG can be moved +/- 30 deg.
- The maximum damage was counted from the given empty weight of G4M2, which was 17,623 lb. I used the pattern that was invented in http://www.wingsofwar.org forums, which is 2x empty weight in tons + 12.

Mounting the bomber on a bomber stand

You will need to mount the model on a bomber stand, which means you will need a hand-made peg that fits in a small hole on the model (that hole is already there) on one side, and into a bit larger hole on the bomber stand on the other side.
Since this mini is die-cast, and thus quite heavy comparing to Ares minis, i recommend using aluminium for making the peg.

Making a mounting peg
I found an old potentiometer and used its shaft to make the peg.

Use a file and a strip of sandpaper to shape it to your needs. You will need to keep checking how it fits to a bomber stand and the hole on bomber's belly quite often, just to be sure you won't make it to tiny and wiggly.
When the peg is finished, use a super-glue and fix it into bomber's belly.

And this is how Betty looks after completition.
Tora! Tora! Tora!

You can also download a pdf file that holds the cards and foil slips right from the File section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Available in resin for $10.

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/armamentsinminiature/aircraftin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am gonna rework the airplane card yet. It is lacking the maximum damage of 28, and the statement that the guns deal the same damage at both long and short distance. And i will round the corners too

EDIT: done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Management card added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You completely convinced me. I have ordered 2 of these planes via eBay.

I plan to copy the pics of the cards to print out at a FedEx outlet near where I live. Do you know if it print out in the correct size?

Also for the base. Does anyone know if I can buy a blank base for this anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, make sure you download the real size of the cards - use the zoom button in their top-lefthand corner or wait for pdf i am preparing.
I used acrylic sheets to cut the bases from.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1060098/make-your-own-cu...

You can also buy a bomber base at
http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/
However those have the fire arcs carved in already for other types of bombers.

Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jan!

As for the bases, I am hoping that the guys at "Armaments in Miniature" will produce some generic blank ones. That would be perfect to go with your templates.

My next big Wings of Glory project is to recreate Jimmy Doolittle's Squadron. I need to find some way (besides painting the numbers myself) to change the tail numbers and add nose art. That will still be awhile as I only have 9 of the 16 planes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
16 Mitchells? That sounds like great fun! I have to get one green Mitch for myself and rework it into a standard plane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes indeed... I can't wait till the day I have all 16 for a full squadron. I have a third project too.

I have a B-36 that's a 1/181 scale. Now if I could figure out the card for that! That will be something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan

I wished you had posted this a Month ago. I was just in Germany working on a Base at Grafenwoehr and left not even a week ago. I went to Prague to vist with my Wife (got a traffic ticket as a reward for good driving).

Ah well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, what a pitty, next time you are here let me know , we have a WoG group and play every Tuesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.