Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asen Aleksandrov
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
How would you play this game competitively? Are there any good variants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the top of my head the only idea would be for a semi-coop were you keep track of how many genestealers each player kills.
Not sure how balanced this would be between the teams though. It might be easier to balance if you play with 2 teams per player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One 2-p competitive game I could imagine would use all the expansions except Space Marine Pack 1:

- Base Game Blood Angel Marines vs. Tyranid Enemies in Base Game Locations
- Deathwing Expansion Marines vs. Base Game GS Enemies in Mission Pack 1 Locations

Both players would play parallel solo games, taking turns phase-by-phase, and pulling a single event card with its effects on both players. The first one to die would lose, of course. Otherwise, the first one to complete location 4 would win. (Note: First player disadvantage for "losing first" is balanced by an advantage for "winning first")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came up with a 2p vs variant a while back.
Another 2p Versus Variant

I didn't get any feedback, or have a chance to test it, so it's just an idea rather than anything balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
Carthoris wrote:
One 2-p competitive game I could imagine would use all the expansions except Space Marine Pack 1:

- Base Game Blood Angel Marines vs. Tyranid Enemies in Base Game Locations
- Deathwing Expansion Marines vs. Base Game GS Enemies in Mission Pack 1 Locations

Both players would play parallel solo games, taking turns phase-by-phase, and pulling a single event card with its effects on both players. The first one to die would lose, of course. Otherwise, the first one to complete location 4 would win. (Note: First player disadvantage for "losing first" is balanced by an advantage for "winning first")

Then swap missions after (keeping the same location set ups)and make it the best aggregate score? That way you eliminate whining that one player got harder locations than the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True_Dave wrote:
Then swap missions after (keeping the same location set ups)and make it the best aggregate score? That way you eliminate whining that one player got harder locations than the other.

Well, luck of the draw is not necessarily much more profound than luck of the roll. I'd find the second game a bit of a re-tread, and knowing what locations are in store provides an advantage not otherwise present.

Also, how would you derive an individual "score" to aggregate? (My idea was just "first across the finish line" -- to failure or success, depending.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Competitive? Are the Genestealers not eating up your marines as quickly as you would like?

Sorry for the light hearted stab, but this made me laugh because this game is so hard as it is - let alone having to compete with your fellow players instead of working with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.