Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What games would you recommend for recreating Persian war battles in ancient times (ancient Greeks vs. Persians)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trebormills wrote:
Commands and Colors Ancients (Blocks) this is my pick of the selection

Warmaster Ancients (10mm minis)

Lost Battles/Strategos (minis or cardboard bits)

three games to consider

EDIT>
Can even try Horde of the things (DBA based game with approx 12 bases per side)

Why wouldn't you suggest DBA, then? Just wondering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ames
United States
Pasadena
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Great Battles of History series game coming out on the topic shortly. Promised ship date is March 2014.

Hoplite

While I haven't played Hoplite myself (waiting on the P500 order!) I've played several other entries in the GBoH series (SPQR (Deluxe Edition), War Galley, Devil's Horsemen, Caesar in Alexandria) and been quite impressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hoplite is set to charge on GMT's P500. Would seem to be precisely what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Ancients
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
cdunc123 wrote:
What games would you recommend for recreating Persian war battles in ancient times (ancient Greeks vs. Persians)?

Lots of good suggestions.

If you like boardgames, as mentioned, Hoplite or Commands & Colors: Ancients is probably the way to go. Check out http://www.ccancients.net/ for scenarios available so you can see which expansions you'd need for CCA.

If you are prepared to play miniatures games then you have a lot more to choose from. One you can try for free is Basic Impetus, http://www.dadiepiombo.com/basic2.html, which also has army lists to download. You can demo the game using bits of cardboard cut to the correct base size and if you like it go from there. I think you can download older versions of DBA as well, either from the yahoo group or around the net.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoplite is coming with the Battle of Plataea as one of the scenarios. Probably my favorite Spartan-Persian conflict. Thermopylae was about heart and courage. Plataea was all about brains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the helpful replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.