Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Unfortunately, as you already know, people
badge
Everything happens so much
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading the Grumpus effect and was wondering if its effect only applies when you are attacked or an effect requires you to remove colonies, or if this would also fire any time you move a colony off the planet, such as using one to attack or to defend.

If it'd come into effect any time you move a colony off by any means (even if the colony returns later due to it being defence, that's pretty neat, otherwise it's rather eh.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
"Whenever" means "whenever," so it counts even if you voluntarily abandon a home planet.

But this is often more of a negative than a positive, since the typical means of co-existing with others on your home planets is to make colony trades ... but people will be disinclined to make colony trades with you unless you have foreign colonies that are suitable for them to land on.

So still pretty much a terrible power. Puzzlingly, frustratingly, how-could-they-possibly-not-see-it-ingly terrible. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull bad, with a big slathering of Avatar: The Last Airbender sauce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Collins
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that's marginally better I suppose.

It does fit the 'Get off my lawn' theme pretty well, though it does pretty much guarantee nobody's going to help you ever. Might be useful if you can force your way onto someone else's planet other people have landed on and slowly try and force them off...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BenDTU wrote:
Might be useful if you can force your way onto someone else's planet other people have landed on and slowly try and force them off...

Doesn't sound practical to me. You're going to (a) gain a foreign colony, (b) abandon that foreign colony to make others lose one ship from the planet, (c) gain another foreign colony on the same planet, (d) abandon it again, and (e) keep repeating this cycle really fast until somebody else loses a foreign colony? Nah.

I'd say don't waste your time trying to find a reason to play this alien; it's garbage.

Grumpus was probably designed entirely around its theme, without much attention given to its gameplay value. For some people that's all that matters, and I suspect that, in general, FFG's internal playtesters must fall into that category. When the external beta testers complained about how crappy Sloth is, for example, we were told that the internal playtesters had given it "high marks."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
I'm guessing that "internal playtesters" at FFG are often just the designer and their nuclear family / a few close friends. The Mansions of Madness: Forbidden Alchemy expansion (which naturally shipped with so many problems that you literally couldn't physically set up the game) only listed 6 playtesters, and their last names overlapped with the scenario designers' last names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Collins
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:

Doesn't sound practical to me. You're going to (a) gain a foreign colony, (b) abandon that foreign colony to make others lose one ship from the planet, (c) gain another foreign colony on the same planet, (d) abandon it again, and (e) keep repeating this cycle really fast until somebody else loses a foreign colony? Nah.

I was more thinking that every time you're invited to defend, take your ships from your foreign colonies and just put them back afterwards. If they don't come back then nothing lost, but if they do then you can keep doing that and eventually push everyone else off that planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
BenDTU wrote:
I was more thinking that every time you're invited to defend, take your ships from your foreign colonies and just put them back afterwards. If they don't come back then nothing lost, but if they do then you can keep doing that and eventually push everyone else off that planet.

If you leave any of your ships on the planet, you still have a colony there so nobody else loses ships.

If you don't leave any of your ships on the planet, you no longer have a colony there, so your colony count is reduced and you can no longer return ships to that planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BenDTU wrote:

Either I'm not understanding your plan, or you're not understanding how Grumpus works. You realize you have to completely abandon your entire colony in order to make everyone else lose one ship, right? Removing just part of your colony does absolutely nothing.

Re-reading your OP,
BenDTU wrote:
or if this would also fire any time you move a colony off the planet, such as using one to attack or to defend.
I'm wondering if you are misreading "colony" as if it meant "ship"?

Grumpus is such a laughably ineffective design, I would certainly understand if your intuition led you to misread it as doing something useful. Or, if I'm still missing your point, then I apologize and hope to be corrected.

(Man, this thread is really getting me aggravated all over again about Cosmic Storm. What an irritating waste of so many aliens.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Collins
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, nope that'd be right - I was reading 'colonies' as 'ships'. Yeah that's kind of not great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Koehn
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just house rule it to say ships, then the power would be very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
DuelistofAges wrote:

Let's not be too hasty. Even with that change, it would still basically just be an inferior version of Filth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
DuelistofAges wrote:

Let's not be too hasty. Even with that change, it would still basically just be an inferior version of Filth.

Yeah, Grumpus really does seem to be hopeless; I have no idea how to make it worthwhile without throwing out the design and completely starting over. I gave it a try in my unauthorized repairman thread, and others fought valiantly there as well, but ultimately I think we all lost the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.