Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I was pretty sure that Sean Miller (UofA head coach) is the highest paid public employee in Arizona (www.businessinsider.com/here-are-the-salaries-for-the-highes...) but it's still ... interesting.

When I first came to US Lute Olson's salary was already 4-5 times larger than any full professor at the UofA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ridiculous
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
shakeshake Saw a similar post/map a few weeks back. Just more proof that our priorities are dangerously out of whack.
RSP in...3...2...shakeshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sports bring in a ton of money and develop school/state loyalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
who is your state's highest paid public employee. Not surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow, that's a lot of bread for the production of circuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Sports... develop school/state loyalty.
I have no idea what this is, and whether or not you are serious or kidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

No doubt that's the line used by head coaches (or their agents) to demand such salaries, and by university presidents when they agree to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
This is quite misleading. College football and basketball programs support the bulk of the coaches salaries, not public financing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

How many sports fans do you know who don't wear their team's merchandise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

No doubt that's the line used by head coaches (or their agents) to demand such salaries, and by university presidents when they agree to them.

Well, let's say that school loyalty is kind of abstract, though definitely exist. I'm pretty sure that university presidents agree to those deals just by looking at the money, the basketball/football teams are bringing to them.

Let's just say, that according to the new contract with ESPN every ACC school (one of the top basketball conferences) will get $17.1 million / year in TV revenue. And it's actually not the highest contract - teams in some conferences get more than $20M/year. Factor in the teams merchandise (particularly if playing well), national recognition and other things and you'll see what the pridents see.

I guess they can spare a measly $2-8M/year of this money to hire the best possible coach...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
This is quite misleading. College football and basketball programs support the bulk of the coaches salaries, not public financing.
Are there any serious numbers available on the profitability of these sports programs?

By serious, I mean that take into account the full costs and actual benefits by school:
* "Prestige programs" in general tend to hide costs and "massage" their income numbers
* Are college sports programs profitable for all schools, or just for a lucky few?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Well college sports unquestionably bring in millions of dollars, and since the athletes aren't paid it would be pretty hard to imagine they aren't grossly profitable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
Go New Hampshire!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghis wrote:
Go New Hampshire!
Sure, but part of his "pay" is that they plow his driveway twice a year and he gets all the free ammo he can use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gyc365 wrote:
frumpish wrote:
Are there any serious numbers available on the profitability of these sports programs?

By serious, I mean that take into account the full costs and actual benefits by school:
* "Prestige programs" in general tend to hide costs and "massage" their income numbers
* Are college sports programs profitable for all schools, or just for a lucky few?

The University of Iowa Athletics Department ended FY 2012 with a deficit after six years of being in the black. This was mostly to do with new construction projects.

Quote:

UI’s Athletics Department brought in nearly $98 million in revenue in FY12 and had nearly $105 million in expenses. The resulting deficit is a departure from previous years. The department saw a surplus of $5.3 million in FY11 and $14.3 million in FY10.

One of the UI economics professors looked at the profitability for 226 public universities and found that...

Quote:

In his review of the finances of 226 public athletic departments, Brook found that fewer than than 10 percent were profitable once public subsidy was removed. UI was one of 22 schools that were in the black, having generated about $4.7 million in profit last year once the small amount of subsidy it received was subtracted, he said.

However...

Quote:

Most NCAA athletics departments are not required to be self-sustaining, meaning they don’t need to be able to operate without external subsidies from the university or the state or federal governments, Brook said. UI’s Athletics Department, however, is expected to generate its own operating revenue to sustain itself, Klatt said.

Brook said he thinks UI’s Athletics Department fares well financially compared to its peers because it is accustomed to not relying on outside funding.

These numbers don't take into account the increased exposure on the national level for the university.

Edit: Forgot to link to the source. http://hawkcentral.com/2013/01/17/ui-athletics-department-fi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a single one is an elementary school teacher? COME ON GUYS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
[...]These numbers don't take into account the increased exposure on the national level for the university.
This is only useful for the winners though

Thanks for the rest of the post. TBH it suggests to me that across all schools, these programs probably run at a substantial loss, but the best 5% or 10% probably make a profit.

The only thing that could change that would be TV money - but I'd need to see the raw data before I'd believe there was enough to go around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gyc365 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
[...]These numbers don't take into account the increased exposure on the national level for the university.
This is only useful for the winners though

Thanks for the rest of the post. TBH it suggests to me that across all schools, these programs probably run at a substantial loss, but the best 5% or 10% probably make a profit.

The only thing that could change that would be TV money - but I'd need to see the raw data before I'd believe there was enough to go around.

I edited my previous post to include a link to my source. Here is an ESPN table that shows "College Athletics Revenues and Expenses - 2008".

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/revenue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get your brackets in for the

MEDICAL FINAL FOUR!!!!

Med school dean (north)
Med school dean (south)-----|
|
|------------ WINNER!
|
Med School Plast. Surgeon |
med School Dept Chair-------|

(Note: the Med School Chancellor was ruled ineligible after not testing positive for performance enhancing drugs. C'mon, this is the med school bracket - what was he thinking??)

edit: well, damn. A feeble joke rendered even worse by poor formatting skills... Ah, well, it looked like a bracket when I posted it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn!

I had my money on Garbage man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
The association of sports teams with universities (or any schools, for that matter) is poisonous and stupid. It doesn't make any sense, but it sucks up time, money and attention away from academics.

Anyway, this is the kind of crap that happens when you run a university like a business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
The association of sports teams with universities (or any schools, for that matter) is poisonous and stupid. It doesn't make any sense, but it sucks up time, money and attention away from academics.

Anyway, this is the kind of crap that happens when you run a university like a business.

How else can you fund a university? Someone has to pay for the infrastructure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mlcarter815 wrote:
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

How else can you fund a university? Someone has to pay for the infrastructure.

Run it as a public institution with a focus on producing educated graduates who can give back to society, like the rest of the world does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.