Subject: Creating Your Own Cards Easily rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael McGlade
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello everyone,

I posted about this close to a year ago on the Cryptozoic forums, but I've been meaning to post it here. The original version I had posted on Cryptozoic used a simplistic and ugly looking template, but I finished updating the template to give it a much cleaner, realistic look.

The link below will provide a download for Magic Set Editor (MSE), a program I have been using for years to make custom Magic cards, but templates can be added/created for just about any game. The template for DC DBG is already set inside of the MSE folder, so once you download the zip all you'll need to do is extract it and launch MSE.

Unlike most of the custom cards I've seen posted online, NO PhotoShop or image editing software knowledge is required. Simply fill out each of the card fields (Name, Cost, Card Type, etc.) and add in the image for the card.
This way, you can quickly and easily crank out dozens of card ideas that you may have so you can share them online or print them out and play test with them.

Here are just a few of the cards I've made:

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to respond below or private message me. I'm looking forward to seeing your custom cards.

~Zuty

===DC DBG===

DOWNLOAD (LAST UPDATED: 5/12/2014)

Version History:

5/12/14 - Minor aesthetic change.
*Super-Villain cards now look like actual Super-Villain cards.
*Ongoing is now a sub-type that can be selected from an image file, rather than being text.

5/8/14 - Minor fixes to the code.
*Super Hero cards now use the correct mask, allowing for more text in their text box.
*Super Hero cards now correctly scale and center text.

5/4/14 - A few updates added due to suggestions.
*Starter and Weakness cards are now available as an option.
*Super Hero cards now have the correct template.

3/26/14 - MAJOR updates have been added.
*Cleaned up the masking on the card, so text won't "float" over the cost/VP icons on the card.
*Updated the 'Faction' icons to look cleaner and added in a few more icons. Will add more upon request.
*Added a 'Sub-type' line. You can use it for anything you so wish, but the one example I used above was 'Super Power - Ongoing' which saved me space in the text box.
*Removed the old legal jargon at the bottom of the old card images and replaced it with a box where you can enter in your own legal jargon. (IE. Artist credit, set date creation, copyrights, etc.)

3/24/14 - Allowed 'Faction' icons to be added to cards.

3/5/14 - Updated template.

===Blank Cards===

DOWNLOAD (LAST UPDATED: 5/18/2014)

Verion History:

5/18/14 - Released.
*These are blank templates that can be used for any DBG.
*Choose from 15 different colors, each having three different forms.
*Name, Type, Text, Cost, VP ... Every field can be edited to anything you want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cennamo
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McGlade
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
PooEater wrote:
Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You

You're very welcome. Glad I could be of service.

~Zuty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thank you so much! Awesome! I can't wait to make my own and even use this for other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Zuty wrote:
Here are just a few of the cards I've made:

In my humble opinion I believe the Hall of Doom should be an automatic play location that benefits the Super villains.

It's text should read like this:

"Immediately put this card in play. Replace any location this player has already played. Until this location is replace by player who pulled it or removed through another action, all villains and supervillains gain a +1 cost. If the game ends with this card still in play -2 from all players score."

Thematically it helps coordinate the villains actions and enhances their strength. Game play it's a difficulty enhancer without changing the rules. It also acts as a super weakness card in game ending situations.

The cool this is with your contribution...now I can make the card that way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McGlade
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback. I really just made those cards to show how well the program works, but I have been meaning to make my own expansion (had a lot going on recently that has hindered that) and really like your suggestion of *BOOM* It's there! (Meanwhile at the Hall of Doom...) and will take that into consideration.

Again, glad to be of help. I hope to see all your cards soon. And if anyone has any suggestions or questions, just let me know. I'm thinking of adding in a changeable logo icon for the top right corner of the card for either DC or Marvel or even factions the character might belong to if that's something you want.

~Zuty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Zuty wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I really just made those cards to show how well the program works, but I have been meaning to make my own expansion (had a lot going on recently that has hindered that)

My own expansion is where my mind is going. Although Marvel is the first set that comes to mind to make...I would love to see City of Heroes.

Zuty wrote:
really like your suggestion of *BOOM* It's there! (Meanwhile at the Hall of Doom...) and will take that into consideration.

I think the game needs more of this stuff. Things that will enhance the difficulty of the villains and super villains.

Zuty wrote:
Again, glad to be of help. I hope to see all your cards soon. And if anyone has any suggestions or questions, just let me know. I'm thinking of adding in a changeable logo icon for the top right corner of the card for either DC or Marvel or even factions the character might belong to if that's something you want.

Symbols would be awesome.

I would like to see a team symbol on the cards. Then some team cards made that would work like location cards. The text could read "If the first card played this turn is from ---- team, +__ to your __"

This way you could add some flavor with the "Dynamic Duo" or "Bat-Family" team ability. The JLA could live. The Teen Titans could reunite. The Suicide Squad could rise up to save the world or whatever team you like and want to play could exist. This would also influence card buying towards the thematic with killer combo abilities built in. (Please game designers use this idea)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McGlade
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
freedfromthematrix2 wrote:

Symbols would be awesome.

I would like to see a team symbol on the cards. Then some team cards made that would work like location cards. The text could read "If the first card played this turn is from ---- team, +__ to your __"

This way you could add some flavor with the "Dynamic Duo" or "Bat-Family" team ability. The JLA could live. The Teen Titans could reunite. The Suicide Squad could rise up to save the world or whatever team you like and want to play could exist. This would also influence card buying towards the thematic with killer combo abilities built in. (Please game designers use this idea)

I like this idea a lot. I kind of just threw the DC and Marvel update out there and it looks sloppy, because I know I will have time to work on it, so I will go ahead and just change that to the option of adding in your own symbol.

~Zuty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad R
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Michael. I am playing around with the idea of creating a whole new game with the cerberus engine. Have you done anything like this or have you been adding to DC Heroes only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McGlade
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Agen7_0range wrote:
Thanks Michael. I am playing around with the idea of creating a whole new game with the cerberus engine. Have you done anything like this or have you been adding to DC Heroes only?

I've never heard of the cereberus engine. I really like the idea behind it and I just looked up the LOTR cards to see what it will look like. I'd be willing and able to add in these other card looks just as soon as I am able to get my hands on clean templates.

I did try my own take on a Star Wars version of the DC DBG, but the template I used was made in MSPaint and looks horrible. I made all the Super Heroes (Jedi) and Super Villains (Sith) and got frustrated by the awful look of the template I had made and gave up.

~Zuty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Anderson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind too much, I'm currently working with these files to combine with my newest templates. If everything works out the way I want, everyone should be able to make realistic cards without the hassle of Photoshop. Mind you, this is going to be a slow process as I'm still workingon my Marvel version while working on this as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad R
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested in this as I would like to develop another variant using the Cerberus engine but need to change the backgrounds (colors) and card ID structure (hero, villain, etc...). I will subscribe and keep posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McGlade
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Just bumping this to let everyone know that the program files have undergone some updates. So please download the latest version. Link is in the first post of this topic.

~Zuty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McGlade
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Bumping this again to let everyone know of the new update to the DC DBG version as well as a new version.

The 'Blank Card' version allows you to edit the card in any way you want and offers 15 different colors each having three different version (normal, super hero, and super villain). The card type has been left off each template and can be edited to whatever you wish. This allows for you to create new card types in the same style as the DC DBG.

I hope you all enjoy it and I look forward to seeing your creations,

~Zuty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad R
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for continuing the work on this Zuty. Looking forward to working with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
How can I adjust the image of the cards I create so that I can print them via Artscow? I can create the cards quite easily with this tool, but I can't seem to find out how to make the completed card image bigger in size. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Cassel
msg tools
using magic set editor how do I set the card image size so the big hero cards print at the normal card size? any help would be great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Li
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zuty, love what you've done with the MSE.

I'm learning to use it now. Do you have any new updates?

Also,.. am trying to create some other new cards, and I did some work only using MS Paint.

I added them to the data file, and I looked at the text in the "game" and "style" files and copied them with the corresponding name of the image file I added, but for some reason, I can't get my new card types to work.

Also, I had wanted to combine your DCDBG and BlankDC, but I think I'm having trouble doing that. But no biggy, I can go back and forth.

Can you also add the CRISIS graphic for CRISIS character cards, and Impossible Villains, or Impossible Heroes?

How do you get MSE to allow you to add new fields to the template?

So far I've learned how to add the main photo and add new icons for the upper right corner symbols. Those seem to work.

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jankowski
msg tools
I have used Magic Set Editor before without problems, but for some reason the DC template cards come out half the size of Magic ones. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruric Rush
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is a new updated MSE DC template.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5bFy4DfzB-YSXk2RFFQanozR3c...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stronach
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey,

Super appreciate the updated template and hoped you could answer a question/troubleshoot this for me.

I am trying to add in a custom logo (as I'm working on a set) and I've gone and added references to it in both the style and game files as well as adding the corresponding images but it refuses to appear either in the set info drop down or even in the image drop down if I unlink the set logo from the set info page. Any suggestions as to why this might be happening? I've attached what I think are the relevant sections of my files.

From Style file

card symbol:
left: 397
top: 37
width: 129
height: 123
render style: image
choice images:
Marvel: logo-marvel.png
DC: logo-dc.png
DBZ: logo-dbz.png
Nintendo: logo-nintendo.png
z index: 2
impossible:
left: 25
top: 446
width:
script: if card.card_type=="defeatable superhero" then 514
else if card.card_type=="defeatable supervillain" then 514
else 0
height: 18
choice images:
Impossible Blue: card-bimpossible.png
Impossible Red: card-rimpossible.png
z index: 3

From Game file

set field:
type: choice
name: logo
choice: none
choice: DBZ
choice: Marvel
choice: DC
Choice: Nintendo
initial: none
save value: true
description: The logo for the company.

Also from Game file

card field:
name: card symbol
show statistics: false
default: set.logo
editable: true

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruric Rush
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The only thing I see is the capitals on "Choice." What about the naming scheme on the Nintendo logo you saved, is it correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Vu
msg tools
Hey I downloaded the part to make my own dc deck building game, but it's only letting me make the larger superhero cards. It won't let me make the other card types (weaknesses, equipment, etc.) Do you know how to fix that. It shows the card templates in the data > DC-standard.mse-style
folder, but it won't me choose the other card types in the "style" section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jackson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Oddly enough, what worked for me is changing the image file that DBZ points to. I'm doing a Disney deck builder, so I changed the DBZ logo to 'logo-disney.png' and that worked.

McBeefsteak wrote:
Hey,

Super appreciate the updated template and hoped you could answer a question/troubleshoot this for me.

I am trying to add in a custom logo (as I'm working on a set) and I've gone and added references to it in both the style and game files as well as adding the corresponding images but it refuses to appear either in the set info drop down or even in the image drop down if I unlink the set logo from the set info page. Any suggestions as to why this might be happening? I've attached what I think are the relevant sections of my files.

From Style file

card symbol:
left: 397
top: 37
width: 129
height: 123
choice images:
Marvel: logo-marvel.png
DC: logo-dc.png
DBZ: logo-dbz.png
Nintendo: logo-nintendo.png
z index: 2
impossible:
left: 25
top: 446
width:
script: if card.card_type=="defeatable superhero" then 514
else if card.card_type=="defeatable supervillain" then 514
else 0
height: 18
choice images:
Impossible Blue: card-bimpossible.png
Impossible Red: card-rimpossible.png
z index: 3

From Game file

set field:
name: logo
initial: none
save value: true
description: The logo for the company.

Also from Game file

card field:
name: card symbol
show statistics: false
default: set.logo
editable: true

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jackson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
BatmanMania1412 wrote:
Hey I downloaded the part to make my own dc deck building game, but it's only letting me make the larger superhero cards. It won't let me make the other card types (weaknesses, equipment, etc.) Do you know how to fix that. It shows the card templates in the data > DC-standard.mse-style
folder, but it won't me choose the other card types in the "style" section.

In the first section that says "Cards", physically click any random open spot on the card itself (I usually click somewhere at the top above the name) and it should give you a drop down menu to change the card type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.