Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 smokes, 1 Move order? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the following scenarios allowed?

A) Play a Move order. Before unit(s) move(s) play two (or more) smokes cards to place in or adjacent to any of the units activated to move.

B) Play a Move order. Before unit(s) move(s) play 1 smoke card in or adjacent to the unit(s) ordered to move. Begin moving units. Play another smoke card. Continue moving units, play another smoke card....

Scenario B seems to be addressed in the side note at O21.6 "So if the moving player wanted to play a 'Smoke Grenades'...Action after entering a new hex....



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Both A and B are allowable. The one caveat though is that only units that have boxed movement can place smoke and that smoke must be placed in a hex adjacent to those units only.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:
Are the following scenarios allowed?

A) Play a Move order. Before unit(s) move(s) play two (or more) smokes cards to place in or adjacent to any of the units activated to move.

B) Play a Move order. Before unit(s) move(s) play 1 smoke card in or adjacent to the unit(s) ordered to move. Begin moving units. Play another smoke card. Continue moving units, play another smoke card....

Scenario B seems to be addressed in the side note at O21.6 "So if the moving player wanted to play a 'Smoke Grenades'...Action after entering a new hex....





Both are legal. Recall, however, that the inactive player plays Actions first, so in Scenario B, you could be hit with Op Fire before you can lay the smoke.

That can be a bit dangerous because the units with boxed movement don't have boxed movement when they're broken.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
DiploGuy wrote:
Are the following scenarios allowed?

A) Play a Move order. Before unit(s) move(s) play two (or more) smokes cards to place in or adjacent to any of the units activated to move.

B) Play a Move order. Before unit(s) move(s) play 1 smoke card in or adjacent to the unit(s) ordered to move. Begin moving units. Play another smoke card. Continue moving units, play another smoke card....

Scenario B seems to be addressed in the side note at O21.6 "So if the moving player wanted to play a 'Smoke Grenades'...Action after entering a new hex....





Both are legal. Recall, however, that the inactive player plays Actions first, so in Scenario B, you could be hit with Op Fire before you can lay the smoke.

Re: Scenario B. I thought you had to spend at least a single MP and move into a new hex before your opponent could op fire at you? A33.1 and O21.3 both have the words "enter a new hex" as part of how op fire can be initiated. Playing smoke before you move a unit into a new hex the first time wouldn't allow for op fire prior to laying the first smoke since no movement has occurred ... does it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
DiploGuy wrote:
Are the following scenarios allowed?

A) Play a Move order. Before unit(s) move(s) play two (or more) smokes cards to place in or adjacent to any of the units activated to move.

B) Play a Move order. Before unit(s) move(s) play 1 smoke card in or adjacent to the unit(s) ordered to move. Begin moving units. Play another smoke card. Continue moving units, play another smoke card....

Scenario B seems to be addressed in the side note at O21.6 "So if the moving player wanted to play a 'Smoke Grenades'...Action after entering a new hex....





Both are legal. Recall, however, that the inactive player plays Actions first, so in Scenario B, you could be hit with Op Fire before you can lay the smoke.

Re: Scenario B. I thought you had to spend at least a single MP and move into a new hex before your opponent could op fire at you?

That is true indeed, but the point of OP's Scenario B seems to be about playing smoke after entering a new hex (even though it also mentions playing smoke before moving).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
DiploGuy wrote:
Are the following scenarios allowed?

A) Play a Move order. Before unit(s) move(s) play two (or more) smokes cards to place in or adjacent to any of the units activated to move.

B) Play a Move order. Before unit(s) move(s) play 1 smoke card in or adjacent to the unit(s) ordered to move. Begin moving units. Play another smoke card. Continue moving units, play another smoke card....

Scenario B seems to be addressed in the side note at O21.6 "So if the moving player wanted to play a 'Smoke Grenades'...Action after entering a new hex....





Both are legal. Recall, however, that the inactive player plays Actions first, so in Scenario B, you could be hit with Op Fire before you can lay the smoke.

Re: Scenario B. I thought you had to spend at least a single MP and move into a new hex before your opponent could op fire at you?

That is true indeed, but the point of OP's Scenario B seems to be about playing smoke after entering a new hex (even though it also mentions playing smoke before moving).

Ah, right. No op fire before first smoke then move, but after that first move before the second smoke, op fire. Roger.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
DiploGuy wrote:
Are the following scenarios allowed?

A) Play a Move order. Before unit(s) move(s) play two (or more) smokes cards to place in or adjacent to any of the units activated to move.

B) Play a Move order. Before unit(s) move(s) play 1 smoke card in or adjacent to the unit(s) ordered to move. Begin moving units. Play another smoke card. Continue moving units, play another smoke card....

Scenario B seems to be addressed in the side note at O21.6 "So if the moving player wanted to play a 'Smoke Grenades'...Action after entering a new hex....





Both are legal. Recall, however, that the inactive player plays Actions first, so in Scenario B, you could be hit with Op Fire before you can lay the smoke.

Re: Scenario B. I thought you had to spend at least a single MP and move into a new hex before your opponent could op fire at you?

That is true indeed, but the point of OP's Scenario B seems to be about playing smoke after entering a new hex (even though it also mentions playing smoke before moving).


Sorry, yes, that's how I read it. Throw it before you move to avoid Op Fire.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

That is true indeed, but the point of OP's Scenario B seems to be about playing smoke after entering a new hex (even though it also mentions playing smoke before moving).


close enough, main point is if you can play cards in the midst of moving; after you've started moving but before you have finished.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:
russ wrote:

That is true indeed, but the point of OP's Scenario B seems to be about playing smoke after entering a new hex (even though it also mentions playing smoke before moving).


close enough, main point is if you can play cards in the midst of moving; after you've started moving but before you have finished.


Absolutely. Very important for the Assault Fire action as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.