Alan Pysnack
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I was debating on putting this in the RPG forum, but essentially we are looking for a board game. My girlfriend and I have never played a dungeon crawler or a game with a campaign, but I think they would be fun. I've read about claustrophobia quite a bit, but I'm not sure if she'd particularly be interested in the whole "Demons & Hell" theme.

Out of the games we've played, she likes Small World, All Creatures Big & Small, and The Village the most. We both enjoy things with a fantasy (Orcs, Elves, Hobbits, etc.) theme to them. I personally would really like a game that has some kind of first person aspect with character development, but this is more of a preference than a requirement

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely go with Pathfinder. I'm having a blast playing it with my wife. It is co-op without a need for an overlord/DM/keeper. There is a definite and VERY satisfying sense of progression (that is beginning to border on addiction).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game or Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game are both excellent dungeon crawlers.

Mice and Mystics is great if you don't mind playing as mice.

Also... Myth is coming out any day now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind the cuteness factor, Mice and Mystics is pretty popular, though it doesn't meet your first person criteria. Tells a good story, though, and several expansions available/on the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophibia is more if a tactical game in a dungeon setting than a "dungeon crawl". The D&D games fell flat for many, myself included. Just felt very mundane and redundant. Mice and Mystics is a great place to start and well received by many a girlfriends and wives alike. If you don't mind being the overloard player Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) is the way to go and scales great with 2-5 and there is a co-op expansion in the works. I am running my girlfriend through the M&M campaign now and will start Descent soon after. Descent has more to offer in the way of varried scenarios with on objective for both the heroes and overloard as well as character progression and variability. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Mice and Mystics. Excellent art and components and great story-telling. Not the deepest game in terms of mechanics, but it provides a great experience.

Perhaps also Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set. It's the closest thing to a tabletop RPG that I've found. It's actually a card game rather than a board game, but I think it might be a good fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
victor araujo
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The D&D Adventure games (Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game) Lack and real long term character growth between dungeons.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark first edition required an expansion for campaign rules. I believe the second edition has these included. In any case, it requires one player to play the bad guys against all the other players.

I have not tried Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set myself. From everything I've read about it, this sounds close to what you're asking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Light/Gateway: Mice and Mystics
Heavy w/overload: Descent
Heavy pure co-op: Myth

I haven't found much that interest me outside of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.