Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own 1 Core Set, A Study in Static, What Lies Ahead, and Opening Moves.

Is this a decent Weyland deck to bring to a local tournament? (This is the first tournament for ANR the place has ever done, so there's no telling what people will be running).

Sorry, I know, I keep asking, but in playtesting, I'm finding it doing okay, and I wish it was doing better.

Here's the deck list:
BABW 4.0

Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World (Core Set)

Agenda (10)
1x Geothermal Fracking (Opening Moves)
3x Hostile Takeover (Core Set)
3x Priority Requisition (Core Set)
3x Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead)

Asset (6)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••
3x PAD Campaign (Core Set)

Upgrade (3)
2x Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead) ••••
1x Corporate Troubleshooter (Core Set)

Operation (12)
3x Beanstalk Royalties (Core Set)
3x Green Level Clearance (A Study in Static) •••
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
3x Oversight AI (A Study in Static)

Barrier (6)
2x Hadrian's Wall (Core Set)
2x Ice Wall (Core Set)
2x Wall of Static (Core Set)

Code Gate (5)
3x Enigma (Core Set)
2x Tollbooth (Core Set) ••••

Sentry (7)
2x Archer (Core Set)
3x Caduceus (What Lies Ahead)
2x Grim (Opening Moves)

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Opening Moves

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Would it be better to focus on Scorched Earth tag-n-bad, even if I only have 2 Scorched Earth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spencer
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a regular Weyland player, so feel free to grain of salt all of this.

Overall, I think it looks pretty solid. Nothing complicated or tricky here, but it looks like a decently consistent build which is going to be good for a tournament. Not having played it, your economy looks pretty solid (especially if you can spare a Jackson to get some of that stuff back in play).

I do worry a little about your Ice layout(though I always have trouble with this until I've played a deck a few times). I'm guessing this deck will tend to favor a long game. The problem you may run into is that several of your ice get very cheap to break once the runner is equipped. Ice wall, enigma, wall of static, and grim are great early game ice, but they'll falter later in the game (especially with some bad publicity in the mix). Unfortunately, the same is true of anything you use Oversight AI on. It's a super strong early play, but it puts a target on that piece of ice since the runner only has to break it once to take it out of the equation. That said, I do think Tollbooth and Hadrian's are great here (and Archer speaks for itself). All that rambling to say I'm wondering if you're finding your servers porous mid to late game.

As to your scorched earth question, I'm not a believer in building a deck with that as a primary win condition (that's just preference). If you have the space to add it so that it can threaten the runner then it can help you quite a lot. If they underestimate the threat, then you might score yourself a quick win or two. If they are patient and prepare for it, then you've bought yourself time to start scoring agendas. So it's not a bad thing to consider, but it will boil down to how much room and influence you can spare and how much you want to work towards the combo.

You said in playtesting it's playing ok, but not great. What do you find yourself losing to or wishing you had more or less of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hurricanespence wrote:
I'm not a regular Weyland player, so feel free to grain of salt all of this.

Overall, I think it looks pretty solid. Nothing complicated or tricky here, but it looks like a decently consistent build which is going to be good for a tournament. Not having played it, your economy looks pretty solid (especially if you can spare a Jackson to get some of that stuff back in play).

I do worry a little about your Ice layout(though I always have trouble with this until I've played a deck a few times). I'm guessing this deck will tend to favor a long game. The problem you may run into is that several of your ice get very cheap to break once the runner is equipped. Ice wall, enigma, wall of static, and grim are great early game ice, but they'll falter later in the game (especially with some bad publicity in the mix). Unfortunately, the same is true of anything you use Oversight AI on. It's a super strong early play, but it puts a target on that piece of ice since the runner only has to break it once to take it out of the equation. That said, I do think Tollbooth and Hadrian's are great here (and Archer speaks for itself). All that rambling to say I'm wondering if you're finding your servers porous mid to late game.

Any ideas for what Ice I could take out and put in?

Quote:
As to your scorched earth question, I'm not a believer in building a deck with that as a primary win condition (that's just preference). If you have the space to add it so that it can threaten the runner then it can help you quite a lot. If they underestimate the threat, then you might score yourself a quick win or two. If they are patient and prepare for it, then you've bought yourself time to start scoring agendas. So it's not a bad thing to consider, but it will boil down to how much room and influence you can spare and how much you want to work towards the combo.

You said in playtesting it's playing ok, but not great. What do you find yourself losing to or wishing you had more or less of?

Well, the above deck is what I came up with after playtesting my old deck (after making modifications). The problem is generally that I either can't create a strong scoring server, or that R&D isn't protected well enough (sometimes HQ). This might just because I don't have a lot of experience in general with this game (I just started playing a couple weeks ago), but it also could be the deck.

Actually, after reading an article on HB, I'm starting to think that might cater more to my playstyle and the general goal I'm trying to accomplish with this deck (which I think boils down to building a strong defense of ice and having enough economy to rez it, while being able to score agendas without too much worry.) Thoughts on switching to HB, given the data packs I have?

I might be able to get 1 or 2 more data packs before the tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgina Dear
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
agentkuo wrote:
Actually, after reading an article on HB, I'm starting to think that might cater more to my playstyle and the general goal I'm trying to accomplish with this deck (which I think boils down to building a strong defense of ice and having enough economy to rez it, while being able to score agendas without too much worry.) Thoughts on switching to HB, given the data packs I have?

I don't do tournaments, but I played this kind of Weyland deck for months against my friends and it was very solid. My build was similar to yours except I had no PAD or Melanges, Anonymous Tip instead of Jackson Howard, and one Successful Demonstration.

I wonder if you have too much economy. Do you find yourself needing the PAD and the Melanges on top of everything else? When I was playing, I often had 30+ credits through operations and money-generating agendas. There's another reason not to use assets, too: unless you're playing them out naked, each piece of ice you use to defend them is a piece you aren't using to defend something that matters. Your deck's strength is a good economy and big ice. You don't want to dilute that.

Personally, I only ever built one remote. Iced up R&D, HQ and the remote, added a piece to Archives if the runner was playing cards like Datasucker or Sneakdoor Beta, then started looking for windows to score agendas.

I don't love Grim in this deck. It's not ETR and with one Corporate Troubleshooter, it can be tough to trap with. I would swap it for a third Archer and maybe a couple of other pieces of ice.

Do you find yourself using the Oversight AIs? Since this is not a quick-win deck, it might be better to rez your ice the slow way to ensure it sticks around.

Generally Jackson Howard is better than Anonymous Tip but I will say that with very few cards you really want to recur, the speed of Anonymous Tip is nice. I was always happy to see one in my opening hand.

My ideal opening: Turn one, ice R&D, ice HQ, economy card. Turn two, refill hand with Anonymous Tip, play two more cards.

A couple of other thoughts:

- I've noticed new players can be reluctant to spend a turn clearing virus counters, but if you're playing big ice against Datasuckers and fixed-strength breakers, this is an excellent way to open a window to score a 5/3.

- Over-advance your Project Atlas and use the tokens for Hostile Takeovers, which you can then score from hand.

- I love the idea of using CT to boost an Archer high enough that the runner can't break it (bye-bye programs), but I only had one CT at the time and I found it really tough to pull off. Still, if you can do it, it can really put the runner back.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spencer
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Georgina has some great advice here about running Weyland. I think your ice choices are somewhat limited by sets and (to a greater extent) influence. I think you've probably got the best set of ice you can get from the cardpool without freeing up some influence. Unfortunately, I think it looks like you're making pretty good use of the influence as well. I'm wondering if you can follow Georgina's advice and limit yourself to one remote server and have that be enough. What you might lack in punch you can make up for in quantity.

As for HB, it can certainly do a similar thing with big ice and slow-paced scoring. It might be worth throwing something together and playing it a couple of times to see how it suits you. The build would look very similar to this one with (I would imagine) slightly fewer operations and a different ice spread. I would say try not to switch too much close to the tournament, because having a deck you know well will be a big asset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.