Subject: Custom Environment: Kaiju City rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewis Cabibi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing all of the awesome custom decks for this game, I decided to take a crack at it. I have absolutely zero (Ha!) game design experience, and I haven't playtested this at all yet, so it might be horribly imbalanced, but I wanted to get it out there, if only for some feedback on the idea.

The inspiration for this deck is twofold. First is the recently released Pacific Rim, the upcoming Godzilla film, and the (hopefully) upcoming Gamera film. The second motivation for this deck is I wanted an epic scale environment that would allow any villain to work side by side with the heroes to combat a greater foe(s). My favorite comics always had the biggest bad guys resorting to helping the heroes when they realized all would be for naught otherwise. This is an attempt to create that epic, super-cooperative feeling, if only tentatively.

I took some liberty creating a rules card for the environment deck as well, similar to the villain rules cards. This forces the heroes to accomplish the objective spelled out by the environment deck, without jumping the shark and killing the villain while he's distracted. Not very heroic, imho.

One more thing: I am able to make cards, but I cannot do the art, and I don't know what BGG's policy is on using borrowed art from the internet for custom variants. If anyone knows if I can use internet images, or is even willing to make some art, feel free to let me know or simply make them yourself!

I have uploaded most of the images for the deck so far; I will try to get the rest uploaded tonight. All of the images for this deck have now been uploaded. The boarders have extra bleed so that they can be printed on Printer Studio without any further editing.

EDIT 3/24/14 - I updated the text of the cards with the most recent versions. The images are still out of date; I will redo them once playtesting is complete.

EDIT 4/25/14 - All uploaded images are the (hopefully) final versions. Feel free to order these from Printer Studio... I know I will be soon!

EDIT 5/7/14 - Added the Divider.

Without further ado, the cards:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Card Back

Rules Card Side A – Emerging Behemoths
Setup
- At the Start of the game, find the card “Alien Invaders” and put it into play. Shuffle the Environment deck.
Game play
- The Heroes cannot win the game.
- Whenever a villain target would deal damage to a hero target, you may instead deal that damage to the corresponding environment target.
- Whenever a Kaiju is reduced to 0 or fewer HP, put that card under this card.
- Whenever H cards are under this card, flip this card.
- Whenever the villain is completely defeated, and the heroes would otherwise win the game, remove all villain cards from the game.
- After the end of the environment turn, if the card “Alien Invaders” is in the Environment trash, put it into play.
Advanced
- Reduce damage dealt to Kaiju targets by 1.

Rules Card Side B – Enraged Titans
Game Play

- Once this card has flipped, return all cards from under this card to the environment trash. Shuffle the environment trash into the environment deck.
- Hero and Villain targets cannot be immune to environment damage.
- After the end of the environment turn, if the card “Alien Invaders” is in the environment trash, put it into play.
Advanced
- At the end of the environment turn, put the top card of the environment deck into play.

Alien Invaders (5 HP)
- Alien Invaders cannot be targeted by Kaiju.
- All Kaiju reduce damage taken by 1.
- All Kaiju increase damage dealt by 1.
- At the start of the environment turn, each Kaiju deals each target other than itself H infernal damage.
- Flavor: “What do you mean we're not the only invaders?!? Blow those amateurs out of the sky!” Bellowed Grand Warlord Voss. “Fire with everything we've got!”

King of the Monsters, Kaiju (45 HP)
- At the start of the environment turn, this card deals the H targets other than itself with the highest HP H+2 energy damage.
- At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the H targets other than itself with the lowest HP H-1 toxic damage.
- Flavor: A Japanese pedestrian shouts, "Run, it's Godzilla!" as civilians flee in fear. Another pedestrian replies, "It looks like Godzilla, but due to international copyright law, it's not!"

Astro Monster, Kaiju (50 HP)
- When this card is put into play, destroy the non-character card target with the lowest HP.
- At the start of the environment turn, this card deals the three targets other than itself with the highest HP H Lightning damage.
- At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the target other than itself with the highest HP 8 lightning damage.
- Flavor: In February 1944, a US Navy officer sees the spacecraft that caused the creation of Astro Monster, but his commander dismisses the possibility of a UFO; the commander then says, "You can tell your son about when he's born, Major Spielberg."

The Great Old One, Kaiju (30 HP)
- At the start of the environment turn, this card deals the H-1 targets other than itself with the highest HP H infernal damage.
- At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the H-1 targets other than itself with the lowest HP H-1 psychic damage.
- Flavor: Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Mosura, The Divine Moth, Kaiju (25 HP)
- Mosura, The Divine Moth cannot be targeted by Kaiju.
- At the start of the environment turn, all kaiju targets regain 5 HP.
- At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the target with the highest HP H sonic damage and the target with the lowest HP H-1 radiant damage.
- Flavor: “Who decided to decree that this moth is sacred and divine?!?” demanded Fanatic. “I believe it's those little twin ladies over there. That and their entire nation of religious followers.” Ra replied, smirking.

Guardian of the Universe, Kaiju (30 HP)
- Reduce damage dealt to guardian of the universe by 1.
- At the end of the environment turn, this card deals each target 2 fire damage.
- Flavor: “Another Atlantean monster? What the devil was going on that they needed to make so many giant monsters?!?” asked an infuriated Ra. “Why are you asking me? I'm an alien!” replied Tempest.

The Destroyer, Kaiju (50 HP)
- When this card is put into play, destroy H hero or villain ongoing and equipment cards.
- At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the H-2 non-environment targets with the lowest HP H+1 cold damage. Cards cannot be played from the decks where the targets dealt damage this way originated.
- Flavor: the only known location of the technology responsible for this abomination lies at the bottom of the ocean, where a brilliant scientist is quietly sleeping.

L.S.A. Clover, Kaiju (20 HP)
- At the start of the environment turn, deal each non-environment target 2 melee damage.
- Whenever a hero or villain plays a card, deal that hero or villain H-1 psychic damage.
- Flavor: Maybe it erupted from an ocean trench, you know? Or a crevasse. Crevice. It's just a theory. I mean, for all we know, it's from another planet and it flew here.

Mark III Jaeger, Jaeger (35 HP)
- If this card is ever reduced to 0 or fewer hp, the atomic reactor melts down, and everyone dies. Game over.
- Whenever a hero target deals damage to this card, Mark III Jaeger may regain that much HP instead.
- At the end of the environment turn, Mark III Jaeger deals the villain or Kaiju target with the highest HP 5 projectile damage.
- Flavor: The world came together, pooling its resources, throwing aside old rivalry for the sake of the greater good. To fight monsters we created monsters of our own.

Category V Kaiju, Kaiju (40 HP)
- When this card enters play, play the top card of the environment deck.
- At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the three targets other than itself with the lowest HP H infernal damage.
- Whenever the environment trash is shuffled into the environment deck, play the top card of the environment deck.
- Flavor: This is the first and only known Category V Kaiju to ever be encountered by humanity. And it was decided that its name would refer to a sexually promiscuous or dirty woman.

The Colossal Kong, Kaiju (35 HP)
- At the start of the environment turn, put one hero equipment card under this card.
- At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the hero and the villain target with the highest HP H melee damage.
- Whenever The Colossal Kong is destroyed or reduced to 0 or fewer HP, place all cards under this card on the bottom of their respective decks.
- Flavor: The King of the Monsters has a brain about the size of a marble. He is sheer brute force, while Kong is a thinking animal. His brain is considerably larger, about 10 times the size of a gorilla skull.

Irradiated Ankylosaurus, Kaiju (35 HP)

- Irradiated Ankylosaurus cannot be targeted by King of the Monsters.
- At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the non-environment target with the highest HP H+1 sonic Damage and the non-environment target with the lowest HP H-1 melee damage.
- If King of the Monsters is in play, Irradiated Ankylosaurus and King of the Monsters regain 10 HP at the end of the environment turn.
- Flavor: This ancient beast was the first Kaiju to cross paths with the King of the Monsters. Ever since their first confrontation, they have had a unique sense of understanding and respect for one another.

Alien Cyborg, Kaiju (40 HP)
- At the start of the environment turn, this card deals the target other than itself with the second highest HP H+3 energy damage.
- At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the target other than itself with the second lowest HP H+1 melee damage.
- Flavor: “so is this guy controlled by the atlanteans or the aliens?” asked a confused absolute zero. To which unity responded, “judging by that random tech he's packing, he probably got hacked like 5 times already.”
- Alt. Flavor: “That thing has lasers and a buzzsaw?!? Where can I get one of those?” asked Unity. “From my cold, dead hands!” shouted Baron Blade from the distance.

Atomic Meltdown
- At the start of the environment turn, if a Kaiju's current HP is below 15, destroy it, and play the top card of the environment deck.
- Flavor: “He's turned Kaiju City into a ghost town,” a scientist observed. “and it looks like we paid for it at the end,” a girl replied. “paid for what?” “All of it. All of man's stupid use of nuclear energy.”

Collateral Damage
- Whenever an environment target deals 10 or more damage in a turn, destroy one hero ongoing or equipment card.
- Flavor: “Whoah! How did that robot do that?” an astonished Haka asked. “He was able to modify his programming to grow like that,” Dr. Stinson replied. “Well if you didn't know, you could have just said so.”

Divider
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Cabibi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated the first post to include images for the entire deck, including formatting the first post.

I'm hoping to try to playtest it a bit tomorrow, but now that there are some cards to PNP with, feel free to try it out and let me know what works/doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it isn't impossible to use the Ongoing keyword on environment cards, it isn't normally done. Environment cards remain in play until destroyed by virtue of the rules governing their card type. Adding the Ongoing keyword allows them to be destroyed in more ways than usual ("Destroy an Ongoing card" & "Destroy an Environment card" effects). If this is your intention, then proceed. If not, you should remove it from Atomic Meltdown and Collateral Damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some first-glance editing:

Set-Up card, under Game Play, should probably say
"When a villain card would deal damage..." or
"When a villain target would deal damage..." instead of
"If a villain would deal damage to a hero target..."

Only the character card with the Villain keyword is the villain. If you want to include all the villain cards or (just) all the villain targets, use a suggested line above.

As for "Whenever a kaiju is reduced to 0 or fewer hp, flip that card over. It is considered to be in play, but is not a target and has no keywords," you can drop the second line altogether. On the flip side, the card has no keywords or hit points. Compare this to any other card that flips, especially those that have hit points on one side only. If the idea is to keep the name active, then I can see why you would want to state this, but I don't see any reason why you would. There's rules in this deck for Kaiju being in play, but without keywords, these flipped cards won't verify. What I think you are attempting would be better handled as such:

"Whenever a Kaiju card is reduced to 0 or fewer HP, put that card under this one. When (H) plus 2 cards are under this card, flip this card."

Alien Invaders (7 HP)
All kaiju reduce damage taken by 1.
All kaiju increase damage dealt by 1.
At the start of the environment turn, each kaiju deals each target other than itself H infernal damage.

This card is played from the trash via the Set-Up card (on either side). It is extremely powerful, too, making it one of those things that'll cause a huge difference in power level if it shows up early or very late, because once it is in play, it pretty much remains in play. Savage Mana can take all its significance away, but, barring that, there isn't much to be done about it. Also, it is a bit confusing. As written, each Kaiju will harm all other Kaiju. I'm not sure, but I think you wanted each Kaiju to harm all non-Kaiju. Am I right? If not, I don't think there is really any way to print this properly without looking like it is meant to be that way. So, I understand that you want to destroy this card first, each round, then fight the Kaiju without their damage reduction, and if you fail to destroy this one, then they whoop serious butt. Still, it is a bit over-the-top.

King of the Monsters, Kaiju (55 HP)
At the start of the environment turn, this card deals the h targets other than itself with the highest hp H+2 energy damage.
At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the H targets other than itself with the lowest hp H-1 toxic damage.

I'm interested to see how this one plays out. Usually, it is unadvised that a card should hit (H)-based targets for (H)-based damage, since you are just multiplying the significance of (H), but within the unique context of this deck, it probably works. Citizen Dawn, Gloomweaver, Akash'Bhuta, and many other villain decks (attempt to) play more targets if more heroes are involved, so a deck that seeks to fight both teams at once probably needs to hit more targets at a time, and harder.

Astro Monster, Kaiju (60 HP)
When this card is put into play, destroy the non-character card target with the lowest HP.
At the start of the environment turn, this card deals the three targets other than itself with the highest HP H Lightning damage.
At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the target other than itself with the highest HP 10 lightning damage.

Again, is the intention that this card can harm other Kaiju? If so, it certainly explains the really high HP of all Kaiju cards; they're all trying to take on every other comer.

Mosura, The divine moth, Kaiju (35 HP)
At the start of the environment turn, all kaiju targets regain 5 hp.
At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the target with the highest hp H Sonic Damage and the target with the lowest hp H-1 radiant damage.

But then this guy comes along and suggests that the Kaiju are all in cahoots. Also, notice that it can damage itself with its attack, which is definitely not intended, even if Kaiju are at war with each other. To prevent the Kaiju from attack Alien Invasion, also, you should probably have them all attack "non-environment" targets. If they are not on the same team, at the very least "other than itself" and probably tag Alien Invasion with some keyword that Kaiju also avoid. Something like giving Alien Invasion the keyword UFO and stating that Kaiju attack "the non-UFO target, other than itself, with the highest HP," or something like that.

Irradiated Ankylosaurus, Kaiju (45 HP)
Irradiated Ankylosaurus cannot be targeted by King of the Monsters.
At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the non-environment target with the highest HP H+1 sonic damage and the non-environment target with the lowest HP H-1 melee damage.
If King of the Monsters is in play, Irradiated Ankylosaurus and King of the Monsters regain 10 HP at the end of the environment turn.

Skip to this guy, and it looks like Kaiju are meant to fight each other again. Or maybe it is supposed to prevent damage redirected from King of the Monsters to it. Still can't tell. Anyway, you should have it prevent damage from King of the Monsters that would be dealt to it or else have King of the Monsters state that it attacks non-whatever this thing is, since "cannot be targeted" is ill-defined by SOTM terms.

My analysis is that you are throwing out some really big numbers in terms of Hit Points and damage-dealing, expecting that the villain deck's strength combined with the heroes' is going to soak it well. Also, going last in turn order is going to be a tad bit better for the players, but only a tad. But the huge variation in villain decks (to say nothing for the hero decks) is going to make it impossible to balance a concept like this. There's no mention of strength based on what the villain deck is doing, so it is all assumed that the villain is pulling a certain amount of weight. I'm pretty sure Ambuscade won't last very long versus these monsters. The Dreamer poses an even bigger problem, since she'll often cause a weak hero to absorb damage directed at her ... but she does offer many useful targets. Spite's "Mynd Phyre" is going to make this environment a non-issue. Miss Information might not be hurting the environment at all, breaking all the heroes' toys, and won't even absorb any damage since she isn't a target (for long enough, while Kaiju City probably delays her flipping even further).

All in all, while I think that a hero & villain tag-team is a cool idea, the variables are way too great to account for. Kaiju City might be more interesting as a full-fledged villain deck and you can make several environment decks themed after Baron Blade assisting (and harassing) the hero team against the Bad Guy Du Jour to realize your teaming-up idea. Balance would be comparatively easy to reach that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Transformation to a villain instead, seconded!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Cabibi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
Some first-glance editing:

Set-Up card, under Game Play, should probably say
"When a villain card would deal damage..." or
"When a villain target would deal damage..." instead of
"If a villain would deal damage to a hero target..."

Only the character card with the Villain keyword is the villain. If you want to include all the villain cards or (just) all the villain targets, use a suggested line above.

As for "Whenever a kaiju is reduced to 0 or fewer hp, flip that card over. It is considered to be in play, but is not a target and has no keywords," you can drop the second line altogether. On the flip side, the card has no keywords or hit points. Compare this to any other card that flips, especially those that have hit points on one side only. If the idea is to keep the name active, then I can see why you would want to state this, but I don't see any reason why you would. There's rules in this deck for Kaiju being in play, but without keywords, these flipped cards won't verify. What I think you are attempting would be better handled as such:

"Whenever a Kaiju card is reduced to 0 or fewer HP, put that card under this one. When (H) plus 2 cards are under this card, flip this card."

Alien Invaders (7 HP)
All kaiju reduce damage taken by 1.
All kaiju increase damage dealt by 1.
At the start of the environment turn, each kaiju deals each target other than itself H infernal damage.

This card is played from the trash via the Set-Up card (on either side). It is extremely powerful, too, making it one of those things that'll cause a huge difference in power level if it shows up early or very late, because once it is in play, it pretty much remains in play. Savage Mana can take all its significance away, but, barring that, there isn't much to be done about it. Also, it is a bit confusing. As written, each Kaiju will harm all other Kaiju. I'm not sure, but I think you wanted each Kaiju to harm all non-Kaiju. Am I right? If not, I don't think there is really any way to print this properly without looking like it is meant to be that way. So, I understand that you want to destroy this card first, each round, then fight the Kaiju without their damage reduction, and if you fail to destroy this one, then they whoop serious butt. Still, it is a bit over-the-top.

King of the Monsters, Kaiju (55 HP)
At the start of the environment turn, this card deals the h targets other than itself with the highest hp H+2 energy damage.
At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the H targets other than itself with the lowest hp H-1 toxic damage.

I'm interested to see how this one plays out. Usually, it is unadvised that a card should hit (H)-based targets for (H)-based damage, since you are just multiplying the significance of (H), but within the unique context of this deck, it probably works. Citizen Dawn, Gloomweaver, Akash'Bhuta, and many other villain decks (attempt to) play more targets if more heroes are involved, so a deck that seeks to fight both teams at once probably needs to hit more targets at a time, and harder.

Astro Monster, Kaiju (60 HP)
When this card is put into play, destroy the non-character card target with the lowest HP.
At the start of the environment turn, this card deals the three targets other than itself with the highest HP H Lightning damage.
At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the target other than itself with the highest HP 10 lightning damage.

Again, is the intention that this card can harm other Kaiju? If so, it certainly explains the really high HP of all Kaiju cards; they're all trying to take on every other comer.

Mosura, The divine moth, Kaiju (35 HP)
At the start of the environment turn, all kaiju targets regain 5 hp.
At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the target with the highest hp H Sonic Damage and the target with the lowest hp H-1 radiant damage.

But then this guy comes along and suggests that the Kaiju are all in cahoots. Also, notice that it can damage itself with its attack, which is definitely not intended, even if Kaiju are at war with each other. To prevent the Kaiju from attack Alien Invasion, also, you should probably have them all attack "non-environment" targets. If they are not on the same team, at the very least "other than itself" and probably tag Alien Invasion with some keyword that Kaiju also avoid. Something like giving Alien Invasion the keyword UFO and stating that Kaiju attack "the non-UFO target, other than itself, with the highest HP," or something like that.

Irradiated Ankylosaurus, Kaiju (45 HP)
Irradiated Ankylosaurus cannot be targeted by King of the Monsters.
At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the non-environment target with the highest HP H+1 sonic damage and the non-environment target with the lowest HP H-1 melee damage.
If King of the Monsters is in play, Irradiated Ankylosaurus and King of the Monsters regain 10 HP at the end of the environment turn.

Skip to this guy, and it looks like Kaiju are meant to fight each other again. Or maybe it is supposed to prevent damage redirected from King of the Monsters to it. Still can't tell. Anyway, you should have it prevent damage from King of the Monsters that would be dealt to it or else have King of the Monsters state that it attacks non-whatever this thing is, since "cannot be targeted" is ill-defined by SOTM terms.

My analysis is that you are throwing out some really big numbers in terms of Hit Points and damage-dealing, expecting that the villain deck's strength combined with the heroes' is going to soak it well. Also, going last in turn order is going to be a tad bit better for the players, but only a tad. But the huge variation in villain decks (to say nothing for the hero decks) is going to make it impossible to balance a concept like this. There's no mention of strength based on what the villain deck is doing, so it is all assumed that the villain is pulling a certain amount of weight. I'm pretty sure Ambuscade won't last very long versus these monsters. The Dreamer poses an even bigger problem, since she'll often cause a weak hero to absorb damage directed at her ... but she does offer many useful targets. Spite's "Mynd Phyre" is going to make this environment a non-issue. Miss Information might not be hurting the environment at all, breaking all the heroes' toys, and won't even absorb any damage since she isn't a target (for long enough, while Kaiju City probably delays her flipping even further).

All in all, while I think that a hero & villain tag-team is a cool idea, the variables are way too great to account for. Kaiju City might be more interesting as a full-fledged villain deck and you can make several environment decks themed after Baron Blade assisting (and harassing) the hero team against the Bad Guy Du Jour to realize your teaming-up idea. Balance would be comparatively easy to reach that way.

Thank you so much. You have no idea how helpful this is.

I really tried going for the flavor first, and then added mechanics that I thought fit the bill. That being said, some of the seemingly odd decisions I made were based on the individual monsters being represented.

For instance, Astro Monster is meant to take on everyone and everything.

Irradiated Ankylosaurus is meant to have a single friend.

The Alien Invaders, while possibly powerful, are meant to represent a nuisance. When they are successful, which should be rare, it represents that they control the kaiju for that turn, and that they hurt everything, including the kaiju, to do their bidding. It's a bit over the top now that you mention it. This was the first card designed for the deck, so the power level was underestimated on my part.

Mosura is full of problems. I pretty much have to rework that card all together.

As for the set up card, there are a few things I was iffy on in the first place. For instance, I've been on the fence about making heroes able to be immune to environment damage or not. The flipping cards over mechanic is inferior to putting cards under this card; I'll be changing that.

The ongoings were left as ongoings to simply be destroyed easier by heroes and villains.

I do plan on keeping this as an environment deck though. Making this deck a villain deck, and then converting over every other villain seems pretty unnecessary. I would rather just set aside a few existing villain decks that this balances well with, such as Iron Legacy and Baron Blade.

When I get home tonight, I'll implement these changes and see how it goes against those two villains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Cabibi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Status Report!

I just finished my first playtest of Kaiju City. It actually feels like I wanted it to, and was hard like I wanted it to be. Unfortunately, it was just way harder than it should have been. Details are as follows:

I did win the game, albeit barely. I selected Legacy, Haka, Ra, and Tempest, in that order. It was honestly a "dream team" due to the crazy damage this team can pump out. They fought against original Baron Blade, just so I could see how the environment played without too much input from the villain deck. This might have been a mistake, due to the lackluster contribution from Baron Blade.

Baron Blade started off to a quiet start, dealing 2 damage to every hero while starting with his mobile defense platform. I had what would be considered optimal draws for almost every hero, right off of the bat. Legacy's first play was Inspiring Presence, so on top of his galvanize, he was boosting every other hero by at least 2 damage for the rest of the game. Haka played a Taiaha that lasted a few rounds, able to deal out 5 to two targets per turn. Ra played the Staff of Ra, boosting himself to 3+ now, and hitting for 5 with his base power. Obviously the Alien Invaders were long gone. Tempest was even sillier, playing Localized Hurricane, allowing him to deal 5 to 2 targets and draw 3 cards a turn. The board was cleared before the Environment turn. On the Environment turn, the first card was The Great Old One, a small threat compared to the rest of the deck. He made his attacks, Alien Invaders showed up again, and it went from there.

I won't give a play by play of the game, but it lasted about 8 or 9 rounds, with Tempest dying the second to last round of the game and Baron Blade being finished off by the environment during the last environment turn. The 6 kaiju reduced to 0 or lower HP were The Great Old One, Astro Monster, The Colossal Kong, The Destroyer, Category V Kaiju, and Guardian of the Universe finishing up the game. Irradiated Ankylosaurus was down to less than 10 HP when Astro Monster destroyed him, thus preventing me from finishing the game sooner. At the end of the game, King of the Monsters, Collateral Damage, and Mark III Jaeger were still in play (Although Mark III Jaeger had 3 HP left...).

All in all, it wasn't bad. But it made a few weaknesses of the deck painfully obvious.

Some of the changes I'm going to make before I playtest it again are to reduce the HP of every kaiju by 10. I was barely killing them every round, and sometimes they still had 10 to 15 HP left, triggering off their start of turn actions. Since my heroes were doing crazy damage and still not killing them, I know it's currently too much.

Another change is to reduce Astro Monster's 10 damage dealt down to 7 or 8. 10 is too high.

Guardian of the Universe will only reduce damage by 1 instead of 2. If I wasn't dealing at least 5 every attack, he would have never gone down.

I'm also going to reduce the HP of the Alien Invaders down to 5 from 7.

The Setup card side A is also going to receive a major overhaul. I will allow Hero targets to be immune to damage from environment cards. I forgot this would render entire cards useless otherwise. Near the end of the game, it started to drag on, and not in the good way. So I'm going to reduce the number of kaiju needed to flip down to H from H+2. As mentioned earlier, the deck will also put the kaiju under the setup card instead of flipping them over and keeping them in play. I also forgot to clarify a few of the villain interactions. Instead of redirecting villain damage, it will redirect any damage dealt by a villain target to a hero target. And finally, I forgot to say what to do if a villain was defeated before the environment setup card flipped. I think I'm going to phrase it this way: "If a villain is completely defeated and the heroes would otherwise win the game, remove all villain cards from the game."

I'm hoping to try it again later tonight against Iron Legacy and Tiamat. I'll hopefully report any more changes tomorrow. I'll also try to update the images in the first post when I can.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I DID NOT play on Advanced. That probably would have been impossible. I'm going to change Side A Advanced to read: "Reduce Damage Dealt to Kaiju targets by 1."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Cabibi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Few quick updates:

The first post has updated card text to reflect the latest revision.

I've had another couple of play sessions. The first was against Tiamat, where we lost due to killing Tiamat too soon and getting stomped by the environment. The second was against Iron Legacy. I lost that game too, but I really think that would have been beatable if I had a different team. It was H=3, with Dark Visionary, Rook City Wraith, and KNYFE. I spent too much time stacking the decks, and not dealing damage, that once Iron Legacy was taken out, there was nothing I could do. (By the way, he was still invincible on his starting side; once he flips, he is no longer immune to environment damage. Next time he will simply soak for the environment )

I still don't know what to have Mosura do, honestly; I think I might leave it as it is unless something else is proposed. The reason she currently heals all environment targets is multifaceted. There wasn't any way for the environment targets to get healed otherwise, and almost all decks have some form of self-healing. In the movies, she is considered to be a sacred creature capable of many good things. Really, she was always a protector of sorts. So unless she reduces damage taken by all environment targets, I'm not sure how to make her fit mechanically and thematically.

The way The Guardian of the Universe is currently worded, he deals himself 1 damage per turn. Considering he hurts himself all the time in the movies, and since it is only 1 damage in order to hit EVERY OTHER TARGET, I felt it was balanced.

Other than that, not much to report. I've been having a hard time finding playtesters locally, and this game is a bear to playtest solo, so it might take longer than expected to get this deck finalized. It has definitely played a lot more fairly than it initially did, but I might still reduce the HP of all Kaiju by another 5 HP if I keep consistently losing to this environment. Especially if I keep taking out the villain to soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider tagging Mosura the same as Alien Invaders (Keyword: Happy, e.g.) and have the other Kaiju not attack them. "Each Kaiju deals all targets except itself and Happy targets X melee damage each."

Honestly, I'm thinking that environment destruction would trump heavy damage-dealing. Visionary, Omnitron-X, Argent Adept, and a couple of other heroes can take out an environment card with a power use repeatedly and reliably much faster than most heroes can cut through 30 HP with damage reduction 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Cabibi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a very good idea; I'll try that out on my next playtest.

As for your second point, that's the tricky part of the deck I keep forgetting to explain. Destroying a target is different than reducing it to 0 or fewer HP. In fact, if a kaiju is destroyed, it goes to the trash instead of under the rules card. This makes villain environment destruction and the card Atomic Meltdown particularly annoying. Therefore, environment destruction is actually bad for the first half of this environment, with the exception of Alien Invaders and the two ongoings.

I know a lot of heroes can simply destroy environment cards, but they won't want to most of the time because destroyed kaiju won't count towards making the rules card flip. If the rules card doesn't flip, you can't win. So you and the villain are forced to either reduce the first H kaiju to 0 or less HP, or you can pick and choose which monsters through destruction and deck manipulation. Either way, there's supposed to be no way around killing H kaiju the old fashioned way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what, I forgot that you addressed that possibility already. My apologies! I knew it upon my first read and that's why I didn't mention anything about it in my original response.

Somehow, it slipped my mind and while I was thinking about the deck throughout the next day, it just occurred to me that you don't need to deal crap-loads of damage. You would if you want to win; you wouldn't if you just need to stop that big, ugly monster from stomping on the city for another round.

Good job!

On to another point: I see that you still have the Ongoing keyword on the card images, but your text explains that you removed it from those. I feel that I was hasty in stating that you don't really need it there. (Although, I did point out that if you meant for it to be that way, leave it by all means.) I've come to the conclusion that it serves a good purpose.

The heroes and villain are somewhat working together to defeat the monsters, so the players may not want to destroy the villain's Ongoing cards, since they may be of benefit to the team. To give something valid to destroy with the Ongoing destruction cards, it makes sense to keep Collateral Damage and Atomic Meltdown as Ongoings. Also, if the villain is already defeated but the Kaiju are not, you want some use for the Ongoing destruction effects. I'd vote to let the keyword remain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kingofsouls master of the 27 skies and a generally good lookin guy
United States
California
flag msg tools
So, i just want to clarify. Lets say the heroes beat the villain, but they have not flipped Kaiju City yet. They need to then flip the City, and then they win right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Cabibi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingofsouls wrote:
So, i just want to clarify. Lets say the heroes beat the villain, but they have not flipped Kaiju City yet. They need to then flip the City, and then they win right?

That's exactly right! I phrased the conditioning on the Kaiju City card to work that way. "The Heroes cannot win the game" is only on the first side of the rules card, as is "Whenever the villain is completely defeated, and the heroes would otherwise win the game, remove all villain cards from the game." It's supposed to work by either flipping the city and then defeating the villain, or defeating the villain, removing them entirely, and then flipping the city.

It gives you options. If the villain is actually being helpful in destroying the environment, by all means leave them alone until you're ready to fight them. Or, if they are being a pain and only destroying hero equipment and ongoing cards (like any villain would do such a thing ), they can be dealt with first.

In other news, I've playtested the deck a few more times since the last update and I think I will leave it as is currently phrased in the text. I have one more planned playtest against Akash'bhuta, just beacuse I don't know how the environment would mesh with her, but that's about it.

The images still aren't updated, and hopefully I'll be able to get to it this weekend. If there's any glaringly obvious typos that I keep missing, please let me know.

My end goal is to get these printed along with the rest of The Cauldron decks, so that buys me a little more time due to Gray and the Catacombs.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I do plan on reworking Mosura and the Alien Invaders to have keywords that no kaiju can target, as recommended earlier by flatonhisface. The card Atomic Meltdown and Collateral Damage will also probably have the ongoing keyword again too (I can see both sides to the argument of making them ongoings or not. Since they initially were meant to be ongoings, they will be in the final version). I'll incorporate these and any other changes into the first post with the new images at a later date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any kind of an ETA on those last edits? I'm getting ready to do a PS order and I'd love to get this deck tossed into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Cabibi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to get the images done by Friday night (I have to send my PS order out soon too!). The text in the first post is pretty much the deck's final text. Sorry for the lack of updates; life's been a little crazy lately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, it's fine. I know how that is. I mostly just wanted to make sure that I was going to get a print with the Kaiju-proof Mosura.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Cabibi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated the first post with the (hopefully) final version images. These should be safe to order from Printer Studio or Artscow, as I don't foresee any major change in the near future. If I did miss any glaringly obvious typos, PLEASE tell me, and I will fix it as soon as I can.

I do want to thank everyone on this thread for their helpful feedback, and for helping me make a different kind of environment deck. I really enjoyed making and playtesting Kaiju City, and would like to make another soon.

Enjoy, and happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matrovsky Karobekian
United States
Cantonment
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your hard work on this, Lewis - I absolutely love it!

Is there any chance I could get the .psd of the divider so I can make a vertical version for those of us who store our cards upright?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rabk wrote:
Thanks for all your hard work on this, Lewis - I absolutely love it!

Is there any chance I could get the .psd of the divider so I can make a vertical version for those of us who store our cards upright?

Way ahead of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matrovsky Karobekian
United States
Cantonment
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HikariStarshine wrote:

You sure know how to satisfy a lady - it's everything I dreamed it would be.

modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rabk wrote:
HikariStarshine wrote:

You sure know how to satisfy a lady - it's everything I dreamed it would be.

modest

The images in there are an appropriate size to be printed on PrinterStudio Tarot-sized cards.

Note that the Tarot-sized cards are larger than you're going to want; I used a paper trimmer and a corner-rounder to cut them down to be full-bleed, 2.5"x4".

The template file I used is in there as well, in Photoshop .psd format. Note that it requires the RedStateBlueState font from Blambot in order to work properly (don't worry, the font is free).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Ward
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a chance to play Kaiju City over the weekend, brief review/session report:

I decided to go all custom decks from tosx's The Cauldron for this fight - Vanish, The Knight, Quicksilver, and Tango One vs 3 headed Tiamat. Lots of monsters to kill! devil

The heroes were victorious and it was a relatively stress free fight, as all ended the game with HP in the low teens. All heroes contributed to the cause and by the time 4 Kaiju were defeated Tiamat was down to around 10 HP left on each head, and the heroes were able to make short work of the villain. But the Jaeger was down to about 5 HP thanks to mostly repeated blows by the Astro Monster, so the game was nearly lost due to the meltdown condition on that card.

The approach was to focus damage on the Kaiju and only target the villain with leftover AoE damage, and allow the Kaiju to pound on Tiamat. As a result, it almost felt like the environment was the villain and vice versa - kind of flipped the typical flow of a game.

This game was a lot of fun and I think this might be my new favorite environment deck. Watching the Kaiju beat up on each other was very entertaining. Alien Invaders worked brilliantly and was the first priority for damage on every turn, until Tango One managed to shuffle it into the deck with Wet Work. Initially after looking at the cards my thought was that the Kaiju had too much HP and dealt too much damage, but it ended up feeling just right and very well balanced. Admittedly the hero team was pretty strong and Tiamat isn't the toughest villain, looking forward to playing again with another setup.

Two thumbs way up for Kaiju City! thumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peter

Worcester
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was prepping for a game tonight and I ran into a problem. Am I right that Spite is pretty much impossible to beat in Kaiju City? I mean, he's theoretically beatable, but if Mind-Phyre comes out, it's all over. Agent of Gloom Spite becomes even more difficult, as it is likely that that drug will come out even sooner. Did I miss anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
you'd have to defeat Spite first, then deal with the monsters, it would really just be a sucky game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven deavers
msg tools
mb
So how would cards like grappling hook work?
What would happen when someone uses a card that destroys ongoing/ environment cards. Would it go to trash or under that card. I feel like trash since it didn't reduce it's health to zero...kinda like we just swung away from that area but didn't defeat it so no progress to finishing the goal off and might come find us later when the deck reshuffles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.