Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Criminal came naturally to me for Runner. I liked the playstyle right off the bat.

But with Corp, it's not so simple. I tried out all the core set 'starter deck' corps, and none of them really sang to me. I decided on Weyland, but now I'm not sure I like it. Jinteki appeals to me, because I like the mind-game aspect, but I don't how well I'd be able to pilot it (not sure I have the skills). HB appeals to me in the sense that it seems to be able to maintain decent economy, but I have no idea how to play an HB deck. And NBN feels a bit too complicated for me at this stage (I've been playing for just a few weeks now).

So any ideas/suggestions for what I could do to figure out a corp playstyle that works for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi Sheng Siow
msg tools
play them all.

learn why jinteki is bad now (sans gozik's?)
learn why plascrete is needed against weyland
learn how to use hb bioroids
learn why astro is the best corp card printed so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
when all else fails, pic a theme you like so you can talk shit as that Corp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Klabnik
msg tools
We are almost the same person. I immediately gravitated and found success in Criminal, but haven't been able to figure out corp at all, and am totally undecided about how to play.

I figure if I can't figure it out, I might as well just go with what's good, so Supermodernism it is, for now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably depends on what cards you have. If you have all of them, and you enjoy winning - then NBN is where its at. Sweeps week + Wraparound have really given them a big boost.

I personally enjoy HB, despite people saying that ETF stands for ending the fun. I love having tons of money and extremely efficient ice.

I've never really enjoyed Jinteki - as I've always felt that losing to them as the runner was a result of carelessness rather than strong play. At least right now - a strong runner can sit down and say "Whats the worst that can happen if I run that" and decide accordingly. The next big expansion is going to change what Jinteki can do enourmously, and I think they will be much more dangerous.

Weyland is weyland. Blowing up the runner is super fun, but like Jinteki, its possible to play "safe" against them, and alot of your teeth are gone. You can try to mix it up and not try to kill the runner - but a strong runner only falls for that once.

If you're playing base set only, Weyland scorch is tough to beat because plascrete isn't in your card pool. Once you've got the first few datapacks, HB is dominant for a good long while until NBN comes along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:
Probably depends on what cards you have. If you have all of them, and you enjoy winning - then NBN is where its at. Sweeps week + Wraparound have really given them a big boost.

I personally enjoy HB, despite people saying that ETF stands for ending the fun. I love having tons of money and extremely efficient ice.

I've never really enjoyed Jinteki - as I've always felt that losing to them as the runner was a result of carelessness rather than strong play. At least right now - a strong runner can sit down and say "Whats the worst that can happen if I run that" and decide accordingly. The next big expansion is going to change what Jinteki can do enourmously, and I think they will be much more dangerous.

Weyland is weyland. Blowing up the runner is super fun, but like Jinteki, its possible to play "safe" against them, and alot of your teeth are gone. You can try to mix it up and not try to kill the runner - but a strong runner only falls for that once.

If you're playing base set only, Weyland scorch is tough to beat because plascrete isn't in your card pool. Once you've got the first few datapacks, HB is dominant for a good long while until NBN comes along.

Right now I have 1 Core, A Study in Static, Opening Moves, and What Lies Ahead. I might be picking up some more data packs soon. Could you help me build an HB deck, to see if it's something I like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the exact opposite problem.

I love playing NBN.
1. Tag punishment. (closed accounts, scorched earth)
2. Never advance. (click to play agenda, click to advance x2, score.)

For runners I just can't find a runner that I like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
siowy wrote:
play them all.

This is the best advice. As a runner you want to know what are all the possible dirty tricks that the corp can throw at you (the same holds for Corp).

If you are learning try to play often, different playstyles, and against many different opponents. Don't be afraid to test strange combinations and see where they fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:

Right now I have 1 Core, A Study in Static, Opening Moves, and What Lies Ahead. I might be picking up some more data packs soon. Could you help me build an HB deck, to see if it's something I like?

Conveniently I can - I just posted a deck this morning:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1140429/store-championship-n...

Unfortunately, it looks like you're missing Cyber Exodus, which is really what ties this deck together (a second 3/2 agenda that you can score from your hand with biotic labor).

You can replace the Eve campaigns with Pad Campaigns, the 3x SanSans with 1x SanSan, an extra archived memories.

You've got Jackson, who is awesome cleaning up the mess that Accelerated Beta tests make.

Most of the ice doesn't really matter (you should have a good variety of cheap ice at varying strengths) and you could probably get the same effect out of a bunch of different mixtures, but you'll have a hard time making the deck work without Project Vitruvius.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United States
rancho cordova
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
How about trying something like this? Beta test to get ice in play and shuffle away agenda's with jackson. It uses only the sets you have so far. Has Snares/Aggressive secs for funnies and to off set manda upgrades.

Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Core)

Total Cards: (49)
Agenda (9)
Accelerated Beta Test (Core #55) x3
Mandatory Upgrades (What Lies Ahead #11) x3
Priority Requisition (Core #106) x3

Asset (14)
Adonis Campaign (Core #56) x3
Aggressive Secretary (Core #57) x2
PAD Campaign (Core #109) x3
Jackson Howard (Opening Moves #15) x3 ■
Snare! (Core #70) x3 ■■

ICE (22)
Enigma (Core #111) x3
Heimdall 1.0 (Core #61) x2
Ichi 1.0 (Core #62) x3
NEXT Bronze (Opening Moves #11) x3
Rototurret (Core #64) x3
Wall of Static (Core #113) x3
Tollbooth (Core #90) x3 ■■
Janus 1.0 (What Lies Ahead #12) x2

Operation (3)
Hedge Fund (Core #110) x3

Upgrade (1)
Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead #13) x1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
We can only give you so much advice. Play the game, learn what you like then play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Echo2Omega wrote:
For runners I just can't find a runner that I like.

Anarch. The same versatility that NBN has, Anarchs do too.
You rarely sit down in front on an Anarch deck and have a very good idea of what it's going to be like; you have to be 3/4 turns into the game before you know for sure what's going to happen. Capitalizing on that is kind of important, and -I believe- part of the reason why anarch can be somewhat difficult to play. It's a lot about tricks and creative playing and swinging the action all over the board. You can feel your game improving a lot the more you play red and personally I find that very rewarding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jigoku81 wrote:
How about trying something like this? Beta test to get ice in play and shuffle away agenda's with jackson. It uses only the sets you have so far. Has Snares/Aggressive secs for funnies and to off set manda upgrades.

Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Core)

Total Cards: (49)
Agenda (9)
Accelerated Beta Test (Core #55) x3
Mandatory Upgrades (What Lies Ahead #11) x3
Priority Requisition (Core #106) x3

Asset (14)
Adonis Campaign (Core #56) x3
Aggressive Secretary (Core #57) x2
PAD Campaign (Core #109) x3
Jackson Howard (Opening Moves #15) x3 ■
Snare! (Core #70) x3 ■■

ICE (22)
Enigma (Core #111) x3
Heimdall 1.0 (Core #61) x2
Ichi 1.0 (Core #62) x3
NEXT Bronze (Opening Moves #11) x3
Rototurret (Core #64) x3
Wall of Static (Core #113) x3
Tollbooth (Core #90) x3 ■■
Janus 1.0 (What Lies Ahead #12) x2

Operation (3)
Hedge Fund (Core #110) x3

Upgrade (1)
Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead #13) x1

Thanks, I'll try that out.

Just a heads up, there's only 2 Rototurret in the core, so I added 1 Viktor 1.0 instead of the 3rd one.

And guys, I get it, I have to play to figure out what I like, I know, I just need a little push in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was convinced I would enjoy Jinteki the most, and after a few attempts to play it had to give up. I've actually now found myself clicking most with Haas Bioroid... I built a Next Design deck recently and started from there! Makes sense, ultimately, as I studied Robotics at Uni.

I'd say don't force it, just keep making/playing decks you think look fun and something will gel eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus MacDonald
msg tools
The advice to play them all is a great one although not what you probably wanted to hear. There are a lot of nuances to all the various factions on both sides of the table which make the game fun. That is what I enjoy and building various decks. Personally I enjoy the variety HB offers at the moment (large card pool/different id's.) You can build a porous brain/net damage deck or a porous brain/meat damage deck. A standard hbetf fast advance deck. A next rush deck. A cerebral combo deck. A big ice, ash deck. A Custom Biotics of choice (best left until your quite an advance player.) Lot's of options as HB has a wide range none of which are overly dominant over the other options.

If your main goal is to win however play NBN, Astroscript has always been broken (and everyone has always known it) and will remain so until banned or they errata it to a 4/2, 5/3 or even a 5/2. There is no way to play around Astroscript and the advantage totally devoid of skill it brings (short of winning 7-0) unlike other cards that have at times been called broken (siphon i'm looking at you.) Any ways that hurt it in a small way such as The Source are far more punishing to other corps anyway. They could in theory print a card that purely counters just Astro (The runner may not advance cards with agenda tokens or something and cost it how they see fit.) Only reason NBN didn't dominate before was because of card pool issues both in faction and courtesy of the fact HBETF and BABW helped with the overall economic issues all the corps had. The fact they have the most splashed card Jackson Howard (the card credited with shifting the corps from being dominated by the runner) in faction too only adds to their strength whilst SanSan/Wraparound/Tollbooth are heavily splashed in competitive decks at the moment as well.

NBN will continue to get more and more dominant as more cards are released, one can only imagine the level of dominance when they have as many options as HB and soon Jinteki. I guess they will do similar to Criminal and release radically different playstyle cards to go with new ID's but still extra options will present themselves as they will to the dominant Gabe/Andy players when H+P is released. Both ID's are viable and unless newer ones are terrible they will be too and even then they will probably hold an edge over most other faction ID's as let's face it neither ability is insanely good at the moment. Yes I know TWIY abilities is why AstroBiotic is a thing (great deck building) but it's Astro that is the key component and the reason why I can give that deck to a very poor player I know who is not suited to this type of game, has not played many games of it, never read about it online or built a deck of his own and he wins with it.

Sorry went into rant mode about Astro, this is my first post as a long time lurker and my first post was originally going to be a well thought out and reasoned article on Astro rather than a rant but yea this article hit that nerve in a roundabout way. NBN are the best and it's not even close (Personal experience, common sense, OCTGN data and store championship results all back this up) but in my view half the fun is finding the faction you like best. You can build good decks with any faction, just not as good as a well built Astro deck and if you throw in competitive elimination rounds (something that plainly doesn't work with netrunner although I understand the reasoning) then Astro decks are in a different universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Galdames
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started playing NBN since the release of the core set, because it was basically Gibson's Sense/Net. Fortunately, NBN appealed to me mechanically as well, as I would soon realize.

I feel that there are two sides to NBN, which convey it's absurd control on what people perceive as reality very well.

There's the fast NBN and the slower, more control oriented NBN.

NBN's fast because it can fast advance. Nothing's faster than pure, raw information, and that's what the yellow corp handles best. Astroscript, SanSan, Psychographics; all of these abuse a strategic vantage point in order to enforce the corp's interests. This is a rush arquetype.

NBN's slow because of it's taxing mechanisms in cyberspace. In the core rulebook it's stated that almost all of the information in 'space flows through NBN infrastructure, which let's the corp leverage its goals with absolute control over it's competitors. Toolbooth, RSVP, Pop-Up Window, Bernice Mai, Data Raven. These, among others, are control tools. This is a control archetype.

If there's anything that NBN is for sure, it's versatile. I've had the most fun playing decks that have just enough tagging, just enough taxing and just enough rush elements in them, making every click an interesting decision.

All in all, you don't have to settle for a single corp. Play all of them, that's the beauty of the LCG system. Maybe eventually you'll find a corp that suits your playstyle best. If so, it'll happen naturally. Just keep playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should clarify, I do plan to play them all eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.