Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Mowery
United States
Hermitage
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

So, does the top part of this Action Card mean that basically you get to do the Civic Improvement action twice…the first time costs no action or mood token and the second time costs only a mood token if you do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.

Note also that #1 could also affect another players city if you desired (unusual, but possible with diplomatic wranglings).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Mowery
United States
Hermitage
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Correct.

Note also that #1 could also affect another players city if you desired.

Hmmm…seems like a strange way to word that card.

And the only reason I can think of why you'd want to improve the mood of another player's city is if their city was angry and it was a part of one of your trade routes. Not sure how that ties in thematically at all with "Heroic General". ???

Kelanen wrote:
(unusual, but possible with diplomatic wranglings).

By that, do you mean negotiating something in return for improving the mood of another player's city? (I don't ever play Clash of Cultures with open negotiation. Not my thing.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
jmmowery wrote:
Hmmm…seems like a strange way to word that card.

I think it is worded that way to ensure the card is clear. The first part lets you improve the mood of a city at no cost. This is NOT a civic improvement action. It is what it is, even if it happens to appear to be a "Civic Improvement Action".

The second part is allowing you to do a "Civic Improvement Action". That is, it is specifically referencing that action and it's associated rules, but it then specifies a change to those rules in that it doesn't cost an action.

Basically it's being redundant but VERY clear. By invoking "Civic Improvement Action" it is invoking already documented information. It's a form of topic based writing. With games that have many moving parts that interact with each other in subtle ways, it pays to be clear, and concise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Mowery
United States
Hermitage
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
Basically it's being redundant but VERY clear.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmmowery wrote:

Kelanen wrote:
(unusual, but possible with diplomatic wranglings).

By that, do you mean negotiating something in return for improving the mood of another player's city? (I don't ever play Clash of Cultures with open negotiation. Not my thing.)

Precisely so - "Attack the other play rather than me, and I'll make that city Happy for you..." etc.

There's often a diplomatic/negotiation element just like most Civ and 4X games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Mowery
United States
Hermitage
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Note the first part only increases the mood one step. Similar to how cards like Local Flood that "reduce the mood" only reduce 1 step.

So if you use the first part to raise a city from "angry" to "neutral", then the second part let's you pay to finish the job and continue to make it "happy". Because being able to raise a large city directly from "angry" to "happy" would be way too powerful… but this card at least does half the job for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmmowery wrote:

Are you aware btw that players can trade most things, and are encouraged to do so - resources, action cards, objectives, mood/culture tokens (P14). Negotiation is very much part of the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Mowery
United States
Hermitage
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:

Are you aware btw that players can trade most things, and are encouraged to do so - resources, action cards, objectives, mood/culture tokens (P14). Negotiation is very much part of the game...

Yep, I'm aware of it. I just don't enjoy negotiation. Feels like work.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wish that rule was not there but I still play with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.