Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
Move a little closer so I can reach out and light your beard on fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my 9th game. Once again I attempt the solo for "No Guts, No Glory" with Challara & Brightblaze. I'm starting in the NW Tower with the Rune of Drain Life.

This time I wanted to try and keep Challara out of the Catacombs if possible and see just how far I could get. My goal was to go straight to the Treasure Room and not do any searching. If I made it back out of the Treasure Room, I would take my chances on searches if I had time.

Hopefully I've not made any mistakes but If any errors are found I'll post them as errata at the end of the session.

1) Move East -> Tile : Dungeon Room (Exits S, Door W) -> Dungeon Deck : Shade -> Use ability -> Dungeon Deck: Crypt but I'm leaving it

2) Move South -> Portcullis (Exits E, W, Portcullis N) -> Dungeon Deck : Dead Adventurer but I'm leaving it -> Test Strength (5) for Portcullis : 1D*2 = 5+3 = 8 and fail by 3. Well I can't get in there so I think I'll try the door west on my next turn

3)Move West -> Door Deck : Door Opens -> Bridge (Exit East) -> I will try to cross it by testing Agility (6) and I have no loot so I don't need to add any more to the dice roll -> 1D*2 = 6 + 4 = 10 and I have fallen off the bridge and into the catacombs -> Roll 1D for wounds -> 1D = 3 and I just injured myself for 3 -> Set Catacomb marker for South

4) Catacomb Deck : Hole in the roof -> Test Agility (6) -> 1D*2 = 4+2 = 6 and I have succeeded in crawling back up out of the hole -> Dungeon Tile : Dungeon Room (exits N, S) and I will have to encounter this room next turn

5) Dungeon Deck : Secret door -> I decide to take a chance on the secret door -> Tile : Spider Web (exits N, S, E, W) and I'm going to retreat due to my weak strength because I don't want to get stuck in there

6) Dungeon Deck : Razor Wings -> Use ability -> Dungeon Deck : Empty Room

7) Move South -> Tile : Dungeon Room (exits S, Door E, W) -> Dungeon Deck : Trap Door -> Use ability -> Dungeon Deck : Arrows fire from the wall -> Test Armour (5) -> 1D*2 = 4+2 = 6 and I have taken 1 wound from an arrow

8) Move South -> Tile : Catacomb (exits S, W) -> Dungeon Deck : Sorcerer -> Use ability -> Dungeon Deck : Crypt but I'm leaving it alone

9) Move South -> Tile : Corridor (exits S, W) -> Move South -> Tile : Dungeon Room (exits S, E, W) -> Dungeon Deck : Dead Adventurer but I'm leaving that stench alone

10) Move East -> Tile : Trap Room -> Trap Deck : Cave in -> Now I must test Agility (6) at the start of each turn

11) Test Agility (6) -> 1D*2 = 10 for Fail (add a determination token)

12) Test Agility (7) -> 1D*2 = 9 for Fail (add a determination token)

13) Test Agility (8) -> 1D*2 = 7 and I Pass -> Move East -> Tile : Corridor (exits N, S, E) -> Move East -> Tile : Web and it directly blocks the Treasure Room -> I retreat to try and go around it.

14) Move North -> Tile : Dungeon Room (exits N, E, W) -> Dungeon Deck : Skeleton -> Use ability -> Dungeon Deck : Swinging Blade -> I must now test my armor (5) to see if I get killed or not because if I fail I'm dead. I do my best to dodge it and dive for the floor -> Roll 1D*2 = 6 + 3 and I'm dead and off with my head!

NICE SHOT!

Errata:

- It looks like in turn 2 I should have gone into the Porcullis room letting the Porcullis shut behind me. I didn't need to test for it. So I should have entered that room, and then drawn my Dungeon Deck card. The only time I needed to test for the Portcullis is if I had wanted to go back the way I came, or the Porcullis had been on an exit from the room which I wanted to take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah the swinging blade, one of the most reliable insta-death cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
Ah the swinging blade, one of the most reliable insta-death cards!

Poor Challara, and with that weak Armor it was just a slice of cheese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
great game, I may have to play again with my kiddos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fribian wrote:
2) Move South -> Portcullis (Exits E, W, Portcullis N) -> Dungeon Deck : Dead Adventurer but I'm leaving it -> Test Strength (5) for Portcullis : 1D*2 = 5+3 = 8 and fail by 3. Well I can't get in there so I think I'll try the door west on my next turn

You don't roll for the portcullis the turn you draw it, but the following turn IF you choose to try and force it.

"On your next turn, if you choose to
move through the portcullis, you must
test Strength." (p. 31)

If I'm picturing the situation correctly, and I think all the portcullises have the grill in the same direction as their entry arrow, if the portcullis chamber had been there from earlier, you'd have had to roll (or if there was a Door there), but moving into a blank spot and drawing Door/Portcullis, you don't roll or draw for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report! Sorry you ran into the dreaded swinging blade.

As for searches, I don't think it's such a great risk early on. Rope is always handy. And the potion could come in handy when your health is low and you still have many steps ahead of you.

Searching on the way back I'd avoid. You won't find anything comparable to the Treasure Room loot and you could get chomped by a Scorpion or a Centipede. No need to tempt fate unless you must.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Fribian wrote:

You don't roll for the portcullis the turn you draw it, but the following turn IF you choose to try and force it.

test Strength." (p. 31)

If I'm picturing the situation correctly, and I think all the portcullises have the grill in the same direction as their entry arrow, if the portcullis chamber had been there from earlier, you'd have had to roll (or if there was a Door there), but moving into a blank spot and drawing Door/Portcullis, you don't roll or draw for them.

Hmmmm... OK. The Portcullis did block me from getting into the room. Did I still need to draw that Dungeon Deck card to then since I never made it into the room? I'll have to correct all this once I get time to go over it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
Great report! Sorry you ran into the dreaded swinging blade.

As for searches, I don't think it's such a great risk early on. Rope is always handy. And the potion could come in handy when your health is low and you still have many steps ahead of you.

Searching on the way back I'd avoid. You won't find anything comparable to the Treasure Room loot and you could get chomped by a Scorpion or a Centipede. No need to tempt fate unless you must.

Maybe I'll try that on my next adventure and do a little more searching. I did get a rope once and have gotten a few of the potions in some attempts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Fribian wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
Fribian wrote:

test Strength." (p. 31)

Hmmmm... OK. The Portcullis did block me from getting into the room. Did I still need to draw that Dungeon Deck card to then since I never made it into the room? I'll have to correct all this once I get time to go over it again.

If you are trying to go through a portcullis and fail, your turn ends. You do not draw a dungeon card on that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scout13 wrote:
great game, I may have to play again with my kiddos

Yes, it's fun. I held off for a long time. I'm pretty sure I've had it for a couple years or so now but I had so many other fun games that it just never hit the table. Once it's out on the table it's easy enough to set it all up again. I put all the tiles in a black painted Cashew jug (a plastic cashew container), then I don't have to keep flipping them over on the table. I just dump it out, shuffle them around, and throw them all back in. A quick shuffle of the decks and I'm ready to go again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Fribian wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
Fribian wrote:

test Strength." (p. 31)

If you are trying to go through a portcullis and fail, your turn ends. You do not draw a dungeon card on that turn.

OK. That's a significant difference, as I had drawn a Dungeon Card for the Portcullis room even though I couldn't enter it. I was still in the original room because I couldn't get in the Portcullis room. So does this mean I need to draw Dungeon Card for the original room (on my next turn then)? I already drew a card for the room when I went into it originally. I then drew the Tile for the Portcullis but couldn't enter due to failing. That would put me back into the same room I was trying to move out of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Fribian wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
Fribian wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
Fribian wrote:

test Strength." (p. 31)

OK. That's a significant difference, as I had drawn a Dungeon Card for the Portcullis room even though I couldn't enter it. I was still in the original room because I couldn't get in the Portcullis room. So does this mean I need to draw Dungeon Card for the original room (on my next turn then)? I already drew a card for the room when I went into it originally. I then drew the Tile for the Portcullis but couldn't enter due to failing. That would put me back into the same room I was trying to move out of.

If the portcullis is on the tile you just drew, you DO enter the room; the portcullis shuts behind you after you enter the room, and you draw a dungeon card.

You only have to open the portcullis if you are trying to go through that passageway again later (usually if you want to go back to the original room). If you fail in this case, you don't draw a card; if you pass, you move through the portcullis and draw a card for the previous room following normal rules.

So it sounds like in the case you describe, the portcullis doesn't block you yet. You enter the room just fine, but would have to try and open it if you wanted to leave that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Fribian wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
Fribian wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
Fribian wrote:

test Strength." (p. 31)

If the portcullis is on the tile you just drew, you DO enter the room; the portcullis shuts behind you after you enter the room, and you draw a dungeon card.

You only have to open the portcullis if you are trying to go through that passageway again later (usually if you want to go back to the original room). If you fail in this case, you don't draw a card; if you pass, you move through the portcullis and draw a card for the previous room following normal rules.

So it sounds like in the case you describe, the portcullis doesn't block you yet. You enter the room just fine, but would have to try and open it if you wanted to leave that way.

Ah, OK. That makes it a lot easier to progress. I missed that in the rules somehow. Thanks for the feedback here Scott.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.