Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Prewitt
United States
Rolling Meadows
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I attempted to post this earlier, so apologies if this winds up showing up twice. My computer crashed and I'm not sure it went through.

I was reading some other discussion on the Darkness Falls hidden trap from the starting quest DLC, and it has only made me more confused. Here is how I understand how to play this trap (questions in parentheses):

1. At the beginning of the Hero Cycle, I roll one fate die for every hero. A matching result means that the hero takes one damage (I don't understand when to reduce the AP of the Darkness by one).

2. Once during each Hero Cycle, each hero is allowed to take a non-combat action to attempt to disarm the trap. A non-combat action requires reducing movement points by one (Does this action require placing the discarded card upside down in one of the actions spaces?). The action involves rolling 1d10 plus and additional dice that cards allow.

3. Rolling a 7 (adjusted by cards) brings a success, and a rune token gets placed under that hero. Three tokens and the trap is disarmed, and a treasure token is placed (where?). A failure results in damage to that hero. Again, I assume this is 1 damage, but I don't understand if this also means the Darkness AP is reduced each time.

How close am I? Any suggestions on the questions I've flagged?

Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Denton
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is how we handled it last night based on the description of the trap in the rule book but I have no idea if we were correct.

At the start of the Hero Cycle each of us rolled a Fate Die and if you rolled your symbol you took 1 damage and the Darkness AP track increased by one. Then, once per cycle each hero could discard a card to make a disarm attempt. If you rolled a 7 or higher it was a success and if not that hero took a damage and the Darkness AP went up another one.

This way worked well for us since there wasn't a lot of crawlers on the first tile. Few heroes took damage and the Darkness ramped up to 5 quickly. We thought we were going to fail and then the Archer played Find Weakness to get the third disarm.

We did not put down a treasure token. We just gave the hero that disarmed the trap a draw from the treasure bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chad is right, don't forget if at the beginning of the HC you roll 2 times the same symbol it does not dmg this hero twice just once (it is a blessing).

For the treasure if i remember correctly this trap do not give you a treasure but 3 serendipity.

This trap is not deadly, it is hard to overcome but you can finish your act (the boulder trap is not so kind ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Common_Hero wrote:
Here is how we handled it last night based on the description of the trap in the rule book but I have no idea if we were correct.

At the start of the Hero Cycle each of us rolled a Fate Die and if you rolled your symbol you took 1 damage and the Darkness AP track increased by one. Then, once per cycle each hero could discard a card to make a disarm attempt. If you rolled a 7 or higher it was a success and if not that hero took a damage and the Darkness AP went up another one.

This way worked well for us since there wasn't a lot of crawlers on the first tile. Few heroes took damage and the Darkness ramped up to 5 quickly. We thought we were going to fail and then the Archer played Find Weakness to get the third disarm.

We did not put down a treasure token. We just gave the hero that disarmed the trap a draw from the treasure bag.

To add to what Endevor said, the FD rolled at the start of the HC souldn't be considered only against the hero rolling the die (I feel like it's not clear, lets use an example)

If your party is made of the Soldier, the Archer and the Brigand, at the start of each HC, you'd roll 3 FD. Doesn't matter who rolls, but for simplicity, roll all the dice together. If the symbols rolled are Rage, Rage and Nature, then the Soldier suffers 1 dmg (ignore the 2nd Rage) and the Archer suffers 1 dmg.

I had the feeling from your explanation that you'd suffer 1 dmg only if the Soldier rolled Rage, or the Archer rolled Nature, but who rolled doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Larkin
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the text that describes "affected player" is referring to any player with a Hero on the trap tile? Is there such a thing as an unaffected player? Why do some traps use this terminology and others don't if they all reference the same thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Patterson
United States
Calimesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LordCyler wrote:
So the text that describes "affected player" is referring to any player with a Hero on the trap tile? Is there such a thing as an unaffected player? Why do some traps use this terminology and others don't if they all reference the same thing?

The "affected player" would be the one affected by the symbol you rolled on the fate dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Prewitt
United States
Rolling Meadows
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These explanations help a lot. Thanks. I was rolling each FD individually and only apply the results to the particular hero, so I'll change that. I was also misunderstanding the treasure thing, and will do 3 Serendipity if I disarm it. Moving the Darkness trap along with the damage indicator makes sense as well.

Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Larkin
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fade2Gray wrote:
LordCyler wrote:

The "affected player" would be the one affected by the symbol you rolled on the fate dice.

So you are saying that Hero and Player are exactly the same thing? I wish they just used one term then.

To me, a Player controls the Hero. One Player can control multiple Heroes. So this ambiguity is frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance VanGogh
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what we came up with in a different thread for this trap, with some input from Brian. Work mostly by
J Larkin
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
. I'm just reposting.

Darkness Falls

1. At the start of the Hero Cycle roll 1 Fate Die per Hero on the tile.
2. If any Fate Die symbol matches any Hero on the tile, that Hero is affected and may attempt a single Disarm check. If no Fate Die symbols match any of the Heroes on the tile, no Disarm checks can be attempted this Hero Cycle.
3. If the affected Hero does not atempt a Disarm check, that Hero will revieve 1 damage and increase the Darkness AP by 1.
4. To attempt a Disarm check against the hidden trap the affected Hero must discard a card from their hand and proceed to take a Non-Combat Action to Disarm. The dice pool will include 1d10 plus any modifiers (Equipment or Non-Combat Action cards played).
5. If the Disarm check results in 7+, the Disarm check is successful. Place one Rune token under the avatar. If the Disarm check results in less than 7, the check fails and the affected Hero will take 1 damage and increase the AP track by 1 on the Darkness board.
6. Repeat this process for all affected Heroes.

Conclusion
1. The Darkness Falls trap is completed when either the Heroes have earned 3 Rune tokens (success) or the Darkness AP track reaches 6 (fail).
2. If the Heroes earn 3 Rune tokens thus successfully disarming the trap, receive 3 Serendipity as a reward.
3. If the AP track reaches 6 while the heroes are on the tile, the Heroes have failed to Disarm the trap and the Darkness AP track is reduced to 5 for the remainder of the Act and no reward is given.

Special Note
When the Darkenss AP track reaches 6, if all Heroes have left the tile, the trap will disarm itself. The Darkenss AP track will remain unmodified, and no reward is gained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Davit
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So can each hero attempt a disarm check per cycle, or just the ones that have their fate symbol show up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Larkin
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davitsp wrote:
So can each hero attempt a disarm check per cycle, or just the ones that have their fate symbol show up?

Per Brian the only Heroes who can attempt to disarm are those affected by the trap when their symbol is rolled.

This line was essentially a direct quote: "If no Fate Die symbols match any of the Heroes on the tile, no Disarm checks can be attempted this Hero Cycle."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Edgar
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
but this sucks, if i'm still 6 squares away from leaving the tile, all enemies are cleared, what do i do?

I move 2... Loiter, roll... not affected by trap.. move another two.. loiter.. roll, not affected by the tap. move again....

played a 2 player game, never came up, we cleared the hunting pack quickly and had to loiter twice, never getting a chance to disarm the trap.

I would say anyone should get a chance (since its a 30% success) and damage /AP if you fail.

Those who are affected... are penalized anyway so why wouldn't they try to disarm it?

looks like house rule for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Eric ...

In case you haven't seen this List

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/173592/myth-traps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance VanGogh
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
have fun play(testing) Myth!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.