Smash Up: Science Fiction Double Feature» Forums » General

Subject: Aliens/Time Travelers OP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Vandenberg
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I just played a 1v1 with my brother as Alien Time Travelers against his Cyborg Apes/Bear Cavalry. To be fair he was doomed to lose from the start due to Aliens being a direct counter to Apes and very strong anyway in 1v1's. However, I was still able to see how these two could combo well.

For one, the time travelers' "Do Over" (return a minion and replay it as an extra minion) and "Dr. When" (same deal but as a minion) allow an already played invader to grab another victory point. "Into the Time Slip" allows you to return any minion in play to hand, further improving the usefulness of the Invader. "Stasis Field" makes it so a base cannot break until your next turn, buying you time to return your Invaders stuck on bases.

"Time Walk" (extra action, extra minion, draw two cards) combined with "Terraform" let's you play three minions in one turn on a base you choose, almost guaranteeing first place. Additionally, with Jumpers (when this minion goes to the discard pile from play, you may place it in your hand) and Scouts being used to break bases, you will rarely find yourself short on minions. With cards like "Wormhole" (after a base breaks shuffle all minions on it into your deck), "1.21 Gigawatts" (shuffle all minions or all actions from your discard into your deck) and the "Time Raider" minion (3 power, talent allowing you to put a card from your discard on the bottom of your deck), you can easily get any discarded Invaders back into your deck for future use.

Finally, the Time Travelers have multiple ways to reuse powerful actions. "It's astounding" let's you play a discarded action as an extra action and the "Repeater Perfect" power 4 minion let's you put a discarded action on the top of your deck. Using these cards, I terraformed three bases in one game.

Although the Time Travelers may have awkward interactions with some other factions, they seem like they were made to combo with the Aliens. I never really enjoyed the Aliens until I tried this combo out. I was able to constantly return my brothers' minions, resulting in their attached actions being discarded. I probed his Silverback 5 power minion. I scored 5 VP off of my two invaders and ended the game with 15 VP to his 2. Of course this was the best game I could imagine ever having, but you can see how this combo could frustrate your opponents to no end. I could see it being less effective in a 4 player game but still effective nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Post
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhatAChamp wrote:
I just played a 1v1 with my brother as Alien Time Travelers against his Cyborg Apes/Bear Cavalry. To be fair he was doomed to lose from the start due to Aliens being a direct counter to Apes and very strong anyway in 1v1's. However, I was still able to see how these two could combo well.

For one, the time travelers' "Do Over" (return a minion and replay it as an extra minion) and "Dr. When" (same deal but as a minion) allow an already played invader to grab another victory point. "Into the Time Slip" allows you to return any minion in play to hand, further improving the usefulness of the Invader. "Stasis Field" makes it so a base cannot break until your next turn, buying you time to return your Invaders stuck on bases.

"Time Walk" (extra action, extra minion, draw two cards) combined with "Terraform" let's you play three minions in one turn on a base you choose, almost guaranteeing first place. Additionally, with Jumpers (when this minion goes to the discard pile from play, you may place it in your hand) and Scouts being used to break bases, you will rarely find yourself short on minions. With cards like "Wormhole" (after a base breaks shuffle all minions on it into your deck), "1.21 Gigawatts" (shuffle all minions or all actions from your discard into your deck) and the "Time Raider" minion (3 power, talent allowing you to put a card from your discard on the bottom of your deck), you can easily get any discarded Invaders back into your deck for future use.

Finally, the Time Travelers have multiple ways to reuse powerful actions. "It's astounding" let's you play a discarded action as an extra action and the "Repeater Perfect" power 4 minion let's you put a discarded action on the top of your deck. Using these cards, I terraformed three bases in one game.

Although the Time Travelers may have awkward interactions with some other factions, they seem like they were made to combo with the Aliens. I never really enjoyed the Aliens until I tried this combo out. I was able to constantly return my brothers' minions, resulting in their attached actions being discarded. I probed his Silverback 5 power minion. I scored 5 VP off of my two invaders and ended the game with 15 VP to his 2. Of course this was the best game I could imagine ever having, but you can see how this combo could frustrate your opponents to no end. I could see it being less effective in a 4 player game but still effective nonetheless.

Actually, they are nowhere near OP, especially in a larger group. The Time Travelers require you to leave him out there for do over, which is really scary. They don't have a great way to cycle through the deck, so it is hard to make sure you get invader. Your ability to win will be how lucky can you get invader early, otherwise you will be tempted to keep putting strong actions on top and slow your draw so badly you may never get an invader.

Great if you start with an Invader, terrible if they don't show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Vandenberg
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Alright. Perhaps they're not OP if your Invader doesn't come up right away. However, they still have a decent amount of power while getting a good number of their minions back in their hand. If you're worried about not having an Invader, you can always pop out a surprise Terraform onto the plant base that let's you look for a minion from your deck to play if you win. That being said, you are still reliant then on Terraform coming up.

However, there are a number of stalling tactics you can use to delay the game while slowly loading up bases. You can still use a Collector or Overlord and an action to return two cards or even Do Over the Collector or Overlord for two returns. Abduction, Terraforming, and Time Walk all provide extra minion plays which could allow you to drop some decent power. Yes, the Invader is the crux of this strategy but it is by no means your only trick. Most games you'll probably have an Invader by the time you're through half your deck. Since there are so many actions that synergize well with the Invader, you can easily make up for lost time once you get your Invader. You're right in that it's not as consistent as say Robot-Plants or anything with Wizards, but you can pull off bigger surprises than most faction combinations. "It's Astounding" is the only action I know that can let you play a discarded Terraform in one turn (Zombies can pull it up and use it next turn, Steampunks can pull it up and use it next turn, MoC can put it on the top of their deck and use it next turn) which doesn't give opponents any time to break the base before you switch it to something more beneficial for you.

In the end, I agree with you that this deck can be slightly crippled by a late Invader. However, the strength it has with an Invader at any stage in the game is immense. With all the extra minion plays, I feel like it's alright to only get 2-3 VP out of an Invader if it distracts enemies from a base you might be taking. You just have to play smart and only leave your Invader out in the open if it will benefit you in the long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP or not, I am excited to play this combo (my set is supposed to arrive Friday!). I will pretend I am Doctor Who the whole time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard pocklington
United States
California
flag msg tools
This combo is extremely powerful 1v1 due to the card removal both from aliens and time travellers as well as the repeating actions and bouncing minions.

However, once there is a third player, it's nothing OP at all. As you don't have quite enough actions and cards to bounce two players stuff back to their hands. Also, decks that can play multiple minions, like Robots will laugh at your combinations and just get it all down in play.

Don't get me wrong, Alien Time Travellers are SUPER fun, but not too powerful except perhaps in a 1 v 1 situation as you describe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.