Myth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Threat Range rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When calculating Threat Range, does one measure the range identically to how one measures range for an attack? That is, the space in front of the hero/enemy is the 1st space?

(Brian confirmed range for us in this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1139943/lets-start-small-how...)

The example in the book is similar to this, but at 6 range instead of 3

E = Enemy
H = Hero
X = Space

E
X
X
H

So, let's say the Threat Range is 3. The enemy would activate because the hero is three spaces away (similar to how we calculate attack range).

Now, let's move the hero back a space.

E
X
X
X
H

If the Threat Range is still 3 and we measure Threat Range like we do attack range, the enemy does NOT activate. However, this is the sentence in the rulebook that is making me question this:

"If the cumulative Threat is equal to or greater than the number of spaces between the Hero and monster, then the enemy is considered to be active."

So, by this definition, the second configuration activates an enemy with a Threat Range of 3 as well because the number of spaces "between" the enemy and hero is equal to the threat range. Is this correct? It seems a little odd that you'd measure threat range and attack range differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When i translated that i made it work as a combat range, but your question about the wording is valid.

I will add that to the question email i will send today, i will have an official answer during the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
We've been playing with threat range as any other range check. I think it's just a wording snafu but I've got no official reason to think that.

More interesting to me is that I haven't really figured out when this matters. Maybe we haven't played enough 12x12 tiles with enemies spread out, but usually the Heroes are attacking monsters before the first Darkness Cycle, which if I understand correctly makes them active so the threat range check isn't needed. We've only had one case of enemies on a tile not being activated due to threat range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VoicelessFaces wrote:
More interesting to me is that I haven't really figured out when this matters.

Agreed. We’ve had this question as well because the AP increases during the Refresh Phase for each monster type that is active. The question we have is can a monster type become active if the heroes are in threat range BEFORE a Darkness Cycle has been triggered? Logically, it seems like they could be. Monsters would certainly notice heroes walking around next to them. However, I’m not sure if that’s translated into the game mechanics/rules or not.

Anyone have clarification on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bucketeyo wrote:
VoicelessFaces wrote:

Agreed. We’ve had this question as well because the AP increases during the Refresh Phase for each monster type that is active. The question we have is can a monster type become active if the heroes are in threat range BEFORE a Darkness Cycle has been triggered? Logically, it seems like they could be. Monsters would certainly notice heroes walking around next to them. However, I’m not sure if that’s translated into the game mechanics/rules or not.

In the rules, you check threat range ONLY in step 1 of the darkness phase. Thematically, I wholeheartedly agree with you, but the rules don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
RemiBureau wrote:
Bucketeyo wrote:
VoicelessFaces wrote:

In the rules, you check threat range ONLY in step 1 of the darkness phase. Thematically, I wholeheartedly agree with you, but the rules don't.

That was my read on it too. Activation only happens when it is checked for, and it is only checked for in the DC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That was my read on it too. Activation only happens when it is checked for, and it is only checked for in the DC.

Okay. We played it that way on Saturday and then reversed our stance to activating whenever we were in threat range (seemed logical) when we tried on Sunday. Since a lot the rules are a bit of crapshoot at this point we just weren’t sure.

We are trying again this Thursday so we’ll go back to activating only during the Darkness Cycle and see how that goes.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bucketeyo wrote:
Quote:

Okay. We played it that way on Saturday and then reversed our stance to activating whenever we were in threat range (seemed logical) when we tried on Sunday. Since a lot the rules are a bit of crapshoot at this point we just weren’t sure.

We are trying again this Thursday so we’ll go back to activating only during the Darkness Cycle and see how that goes.

Thanks.

I'm not saying it's the intended method. I'm just saying that those are the rules we have in the book. Maybe one of the videos show it differently. I'm not big on watching the videos myself because I hear they have mistakes too, and don't want to hunt down errata for videos on top of errata for the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
RemiBureau wrote:
Bucketeyo wrote:
VoicelessFaces wrote:

So then I guess this only becomes relevant if there are multiple hunting packs spread out on a tile. Usually packs become active from a hero attack well before I have to check for threat range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm not saying it's the intended method. I'm just saying that those are the rules we have in the book. Maybe one of the videos show it differently. I'm not big on watching the videos myself because I hear they have mistakes too, and don't want to hunt down errata for videos on top of errata for the book.

I’m with you. I haven’t watched any of the videos for the same reason. This has been an extremely frustrating process and I’m doing my best to stay positive and just post questions here on the Geek and work through them.

Quote:
So then I guess this only becomes relevant if there are multiple hunting packs spread out on a tile.

Well, the first time this became part of our discussion is when we moved up next to monsters (within Threat range) and didn’t have any attacks. So, we ended the hero cycle standing next to a bunch of monsters.

Quote:
Usually packs become active from a hero attack well before I have to check for threat range.

Does the rulebook explicitly say that a monster becomes active when you attack it? Again, this seems logical to me but I don’t recall that from the rulebook. If so, do all monsters of a type become active or just the monster you attacked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
It doesn't explicitly say they become active when attacking. I though I saw that on here somewhere but maybe I'm making it up - can't seem to find an official word on it.

Even if you're adjacent to monsters at the end of the hero cycle, they still won't activate or become active if you haven't hit 6AP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, from an email conversation I had with Brian:

ME: Some people believe that a monster type becomes activated regardless of threat range if any of them have been attacked, regardless of threat range limits. Is this the case?

Brian: This is true.

ME: if the darkness meter has NOT filled up yet in a given tile, so there's been no enemies activated, but I am within threat distance of enemies when we get to the Refresh phase, do those enemies add AP to the darkness meter?

Brian: Yes.

I also asked him if the last page of the manual is correct, where it says

Quote:
At the start of the Refresh Phase increase the Darkness Meter by +1 per Monster-type on
the Realm Tile. This can trigger a Darkness Cycle immediately.

He must be really busy, actually, because he hasn't answered a lot of my questions, so I can't do my runthrough yet... hopefully he'll find the time soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kenny on the mercs forum made an official answer, if you attack a monster all the monster type become active immediately, they will activate on the next DC.

I am working with Phorin to add everything to the unofficial FAQ and make a PDF from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
FYI, from an email conversation I had with Brian:

ME: if the darkness meter has NOT filled up yet in a given tile, so there's been no enemies activated, but I am within threat distance of enemies when we get to the Refresh phase, do those enemies add AP to the darkness meter?

Brian: Yes.

This is new, should be included in the official and unofficial FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.