Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Bear
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought this game looked cool at Walmart but never bought it because my kids were too young. Now they are old enough we are playing with mage knight miniatures and paper terrain, I was thinking about picking up this game. However, I am not sad to see that it is out of production, so here is my question. With the inflated prices of all the heroscape pieces, is this game still worth getting into? I would really love to, but not sure I want to pay the prices 3 to 4 times higher than what they sold for at new... Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say this:

It is awesome. So awesome. BUT...if you are like me and lots of other gamers who only play a game a few times and move on to whatever is next, don't buy it. I spent 800 dollars on this stuff one year and we played it maybe 4 times, right after we got it. The time sink of building it, creating armies, the space it takes up, it's just hard to get to the table.

If you guys can get an awesome game and just keep playing it, by all means, dig in Master sets can be gotten for 60-120 dollars. I bought a ton at one time and that was the price range on master sets, so don't just buy the first one you see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reaser
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I think so. You can still find some of the master sets on craigslist for a good price. Usually someone cleaning out their kids stuff after they've moved out. I've purchased several for $50-$60. Also, there are many figures and their cards on ebay that are still under $2. Trick is to buy several from the same person so to save on shipping costs.

If you want to get the entire set, it will definitely cost you. The nice part is you don't need the entire set to have a great time. Get what you can and have your kids watch for deals on craigslist and ebay. They'll love it and you will find some good deals.

Good luck.

Brease

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely don't need all the figures. I have WAY too many and its not even half of everything. Don't treat it like a CCG, just get what you need or think is especially cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, if you don't end up liking the game, you'll recoup your investment easily enough.

If cost is a concern, it's mostly the terrain that should be acquired. You could always proxy the miniatures with other figures and print out the cards. But if you're going to play with others -- like in tournaments, etc -- then getting a sufficient amount of the more competitive squads can be costly. In my opinion, army building is part of the charm, so the more you have the more options there are to try. But if it's just a game to play with the family, having a lot of the various squads aren't necessary to have fun. Keeping it more like "Heroscape" instead of "Squadscape" is an equally good time and less expensive.

Get ahold of a Rise of the Valkyrie master set to start with and see if it's for you. If you like it, be very patient and search Craigslist and ebay and http://www.auggiesgamestore.com/catalog/heroscape/699 daily as deals can still be had (relatively speaking) and rare stuff worth getting can still be found. Check here often as well: http://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=110

If I had to do it all over again, I definitely would, even though the cost of entry has gone way up. But I'm lucky in that I live in an area with a very active Heroscape scene and I'm close enough to attend the tournaments at GenCon so that such a decision is easily made. By way of comparison, I've given a lot of Heroscape to my nephew over the past few years and he loves the game, but he effectively only plays it when I come visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Everett-Lane
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And you can use your Mage Knight minis as proxy figures for other HS units....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your kids are of a Certain Age where they might like Heroscape, it's probably worth it. You & your adult gaming group may move on with only a few plays of each, but based on my experience you may find they really dig in.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always sell it if you find that it doesn't last...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dennard
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have any thrift stores nearby, you could always check there. I've purchased two master sets for a total of $20 (one $5 and one $15) at local thrift stores. I've also spent way too much money completing my collection.
It's a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybear wrote:
not sure I want to pay the prices 3 to 4 times higher than what they sold for at new... Thoughts?

Most (admittedly, not all) of the parts don't go for such inflated prices, fortunately. You can camp eBay and find some decent lots sometimes. Or send me a GeekMail, because I've been thinking about shedding some of my collection

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Bear
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, thank you very much for all the responses. I am going to go ahead and try to get into the game then. I really think that my kids will enjoy it. I will take your advice on trying to pick up the games. I went by two different thrift stores at lunch and no luck there. Nothing on craigslist in my area either. I'll let you know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Check Geekbay auctions and also inquire at heroscapers.com

You can get some stuff at good prices that way. I'd avoid ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to thrift stores to look for Heroscape only is probably a waste of time. In all my years of thrifting I considered myself lucky to find an expansion once. Effective thrifting requires patience and openness to finding awesome things you weren't expecting.

As for Ebay, sometimes you get lucky and get a good deal. Just make sure you know what you want your maximum bid to be and don't go over that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, visit Heroscapers.com. They have a trade/for sale section that can be a bit... friendlier than eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
some geek
msg tools
I had great luck buying a few base sets at great prices$30 or $35 each on heroscapers.com. My 4 and 6 year olds enjoy playing. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.