Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy today, yay! Looks pretty cool. I guess I'm getting more stuff later, though what and when is not at all clear to me. But pressing on...

I got everything organized and picked up a card to start perusing. I picked up "To the Knee". It reads:

Quote:
(Optional - Ammo) Target is Prone
Effects Captains and Minions

My immediate thoughts:

a. Good joke in the title
b. No, sorry, the target is not prone. Perhaps you mean "Target becomes Prone"?
c. Effects? What effects? Perhaps you mean "Affects Captains and Minions".

After looking at a few more cards and reading about half the rules, I have to wonder... for the amount of money you raised, couldn't you hire an editor?

I don't much mind the missing or ambiguous rules. Those are easy to fix post-production. But so many card errors / ambiguities is just sad.

Ok, rant off. Looks like it will be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for starting another thread for this, we were running out of space in the other ones. I've always feared the day the internet was full.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
n3rd wrote:
Thank you for starting another thread for this,

wow, you're unfriendly.

instead of kidding Drake, you could have pointed him to another thread where these discussions take place.

you know, the bgg forum search engine sucks, and with so many new myth threads coming up every day, it can be hard to find the one you should have posted in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
Got my copy today, yay! Looks pretty cool. I guess I'm getting more stuff later, though what and when is not at all clear to me.

So, why don't you take a look at the Kickstarter page. And then you'd know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Moir
Canada
Cold Lake
Alberta
flag msg tools
Yes
I commented on the rule book in the kickstarter comments after they posted the final version. I mentioned the incorrect usage of "effect" for the context they are intending and I was told it was an "editing decision" to use effect instead of affect.

Interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
Got my copy today, yay! Looks pretty cool. I guess I'm getting more stuff later, though what and when is not at all clear to me. But pressing on...

I got everything organized and picked up a card to start perusing. I picked up "To the Knee". It reads:

Quote:

My immediate thoughts:

After looking at a few more cards and reading about half the rules, I have to wonder... for the amount of money you raised, couldn't you hire an editor?

I don't much mind the missing or ambiguous rules. Those are easy to fix post-production. But so many card errors / ambiguities is just sad.

I felt the exact same.

zachmoir wrote:
I commented on the rule book in the kickstarter comments after they posted the final version. I mentioned the incorrect usage of "effect" for the context they are intending and I was told it was an "editing decision" to use effect instead of affect.

Interesting.

Editing decision? It's the English language! Granted most people couldn't tell you the difference between the two but come on. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was the editing decision not to use an editor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:

Can't help but picture Kelso yelling BURN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:

My thought exactly. What editor would purposely use bad grammar if not being cheeky with a hidden meaning or alternate spelling for thematic purposes. Let's hope that's the case and we just haven't found it yet. If it isn't, I hope the entire game isn't riddled with "editing decisions."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
proclaimed wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:

My thought exactly. What editor would purposely use bad grammar if not being cheeky with a hidden meaning or alternate spelling for thematic purposes. Let's hope that's the case and we just haven't found it yet. If it isn't, I hope the entire game isn't riddled with "editing decisions."

I'm getting the impression more and more that the rules and cards were passed to another company / group to proof read, play, and adjust.
And that that group dropped the ball and told Mercs that all was good.
And Mercs excepted (purposeful) what they were told and printed it?

I'm still wanting to know, the people that play tested and proof read it, were they taught it from Mercs or given the game and cards blind to try it out?

Undead viking did a video, and got many rules wrong iirc.
Wonder why he didn't see the type errors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typos are, let's face it, the least of the game's problems. And to be fair, even the largest of companies issue stuff with typos. I'm not going to sweat the correct usage of Affect/Effect when there are much larger issues at hand.

That being said, a revised rulebook should be able to address 90 percent of my issues with this game and bring it to a level of playability I expected out of the box.

There really is a fun game here. I've got a couple of great solo games out of it so far. So this is not meant as a slam, but rather as constructive criticism. And I think that the designers are listening and have started taking steps towards resolving this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
n3rd wrote:
Thank you for starting another thread for this, we were running out of space in the other ones. I've always feared the day the internet was full.

You are most welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:
Got my copy today, yay! Looks pretty cool. I guess I'm getting more stuff later, though what and when is not at all clear to me.

So, why don't you take a look at the Kickstarter page. And then you'd know.

Thanks, good idea! Update #97 mentions what I received in what I guess is "wave 1". As it turns out, this is not terribly helpful today since I already know what I received. I did look at the web page and casually searched for "wave 2" here before posting.

As for your question: with 52 Kickstarter projects backed, I find the daily updates don't leave much of a lasting impression with me and I just assume the corresponding web sites will have the key information when I need to find it. Admittedly, this is an optimistic assumption
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Austin
msg tools
mb
Are all these issues going to be fixed in the retail version of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Vany
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, the second shipment should have everything else that you had pledged for and added on during the campaign. For those who are international everything that was pledged/added on at once.

Either way I am excited to play the game and by the prospect of the large box full of stuff arriving at my door. The other part of me is intimidated by the sheer number of minis that I will be looking to paint. Zombicide was one thing, but this is an entirely new monster coming to my doorstep haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Russell
msg tools
Olvenskol wrote:

Quote:

My immediate thoughts:

Unfortunately a lot if cards, if not most, are like this. The optional part doesn't even make a lot of sense to me. Can I choose not to use my ammo? And if so, why would I want to use my ammo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
joshuar56 wrote:

Unfortunately a lot if cards, if not most, are like this. The optional part doesn't even make a lot of sense to me. Can I choose not to use my ammo? And if so, why would I want to use my ammo?

Other way round. It can be used with a weapon that requires the use of ammo [Bows], but can be used with a weapon that doesn't require ammo.

If it said Requires: Ammo it could only be used with a bow [Like Through the needle's eye].

c.f. p5 of the Hero Deck Reference.

Likewise Pincushion can be chained after a Circumvent as a single reaction and Tumble doesn't require you to make an attack but requires Ammo if you make a ranged attack with it.

Orion's Tears, Fool's Errand, Kharon's Payment, Wayfarer's Ruse, Through a Needle’s Eye and Gift of the Underworld all require Ammo and so can only be done with a ranged weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
joshuar56 wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:

Quote:

My immediate thoughts:

We had to read into that one quite a bit, but we came to the conclusion that it probably meant for adjacent enemies, no, you do not have to use ammo.
The answer above mine makes more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Russell
msg tools
dahak wrote:
joshuar56 wrote:

Other way round. It can be used with a weapon that requires the use of ammo [Bows], but can be used with a weapon that doesn't require ammo.

If it said Requires: Ammo it could only be used with a bow [Like Through the needle's eye].

Does this mean that if the brigand is in Shadows, any attack he tries to perform either has to be "optional shadow" or "require shadow"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
joshuar56 wrote:
dahak wrote:
joshuar56 wrote:

Does this mean that if the brigand is in Shadows, any attack he tries to perform either has to be "optional shadow" or "require shadow"?

No. Same as if the Archer has Ammo he doesn't have to make a ranged attack. He can't do Requires Shadows without being in Shadow and he gets bonuses for being in Shadow for Optional Shadow actions.

You don't get the bonus for being in Shadows for making attacks that aren't Optional or Requires Shadows. Dirty Tactics doesn't benefit for example.

Shadows is lost however on making a successful attack unless the attack card says otherwise. Shadows Reach is a partial exception since you can chain a requires Shadows Reach after it and still get the Shadows bonus.

The Bonus for having Ammo is being able to make ranged attacks. The Bonus for Shadows is +2FD on any Optional or Requires Shadows Card (plus other bonuses involving extra movement, damage or dice depending on card).

Out of Shadows you can do a Shadows reach attack for 2 damage range 1. In Shadows you get to move 3 first without it counting as a move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so, is WAVE 2 coming with rules 2.0 rulebook or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skolo wrote:
so, is WAVE 2 coming with rules 2.0 rulebook or what?

Almost certainly not. The Wave 2 stuff should be on its way soon so they don't have time to correct all the mistakes and get new rulebooks printed. I suspect we will get FAQs and eventually a digitally released version 2.0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Russell
msg tools
dahak wrote:
joshuar56 wrote:
dahak wrote:
joshuar56 wrote:

No. Same as if the Archer has Ammo he doesn't have to make a ranged attack. He can't do Requires Shadows without being in Shadow and he gets bonuses for being in Shadow for Optional Shadow actions.

You don't get the bonus for being in Shadows for making attacks that aren't Optional or Requires Shadows. Dirty Tactics doesn't benefit for example.

Shadows is lost however on making a successful attack unless the attack card says otherwise. Shadows Reach is a partial exception since you can chain a requires Shadows Reach after it and still get the Shadows bonus.

The Bonus for having Ammo is being able to make ranged attacks. The Bonus for Shadows is +2FD on any Optional or Requires Shadows Card (plus other bonuses involving extra movement, damage or dice depending on card).

Out of Shadows you can do a Shadows reach attack for 2 damage range 1. In Shadows you get to move 3 first without it counting as a move.
shadows reach has "optional shadows" but is no different ( gets no bonuses) if you're in shadows or not. So what's the point of it having "optional shadows"if you can make any attack regardless if you are in shadows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An editing decision? If that's true, I'm dropkicking this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
joshuar56 wrote:
shadows reach has "optional shadows" but is no different ( gets no bonuses) if you're in shadows or not. So what's the point of it having "optional shadows"if you can make any attack regardless if you are in shadows?

+2 Fate Dice on the attack roll and chain Shadows on to one of the Requires Shadows, Optional Shadows Reach abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.