Subject: Gloom vs Cthulhu Gloom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Looking at buying this game.. but curious about this or its lovecraftian variant? I would probably pick up the expansions if I got either version that were compatible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Bazar
United States
Visalia
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Lovecraftiana adds nothing to the game, get the original version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
so it is an exact same game.. no rule diffrences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Gőbölös
Hungary
Pécs
flag msg tools
I prefer the original one. Cthulhu Gloom is good enough, but it's just a different theme on the same game. It's quite the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bob742
msg tools
War is a Racket - Maj Gen Smedley Darlington Butler d
mbmb
Regular Gloom as 4 expansions.

The most recent expansion: Gloom: Unquiet Dead introduces some of the newer aspects that were unique to Cthulhu Gloom base game, such as "story cards" and transformations.

Cthulhu Gloom's sole expansion: Cthulhu Gloom: Unpleasant Dreams provides 2 'unwelcome guest' cards, which begin at the center of the table but jump from player's family to player's family depending on certain cards played and thus function as another family member to be killed.
This function of the 'unwelcome guests' first appeared in the regular Gloom expansion Gloom: Unwelcome Guests.

The remaining regular Gloom expansions Gloom: Unhappy Homes, which introduces an optional house for your family, and Gloom: Unfortunate Expeditions which deals with 4 cards at the center of the table representing the four cardinal directions, are not represented in Cthulhu Gloom. In my opinion, Unfortunate Expeditions is the most annoying to deal with and the houses are not really needed, but can add some extras to the story telling aspect of the game depending on how much you play that stuff up.

Either game is good, if you play just on making your own family sad and deceased. If you play up more of the story telling stuff, I'd have to agree with others that the Cthulhu stuff may be more enjoyable if you know the ins & outs of the various Lovecraft stories.

So maybe what the expansions have to offer might help you with your decision.

I have them all because I love Gloom. I hope our posts help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The big reason I tell people to stay away from Cthulhu Gloom is its focus; while the game was prettied up, and the art is fantastic as always, it's a lot easier for people to find fun and humor in being Mauled by Manatees versus Squashed by a Shoggoth. The former is easier to picture, is a bit more ridiculous, a lot sillier when you compound it with a Drowned by Ducks or any other number of things.

Cthulhu Gloom would probably be alright with a group of fellow HARDCORE Lovecraft lovers, and you can really use it to tell stories, but the entire tone is less of the wacky, generalized macabre of the original. Does your regular group know what a Tcho-Tcho is? Can they roughly draw what an Elder Thing and Yithian looks like, and describe their basic backgrounds? If so, you might enjoy Cthulhu Gloom just fine. If not, it's just a bunch of random words for 'em.

Of course, maybe a story with people who didn't have any clue what these things were would be MORE funny to those who knew, just for the absurdity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bob742
msg tools
War is a Racket - Maj Gen Smedley Darlington Butler d
mbmb
Cthulhu does things a bit more wackier with the cards as well.

Combined with the immediate post above, I'd start with regular Gloom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Priddy
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed that between the two, also as a big Lovecraft fan of that mythos fiction, the original Gloom is quite accessible to new players as it hits on that Addams Family/Edward Gorey vibe that many more can relate to.

Alternatively in support of getting Cthulhu Gloom, there are a lot of cards similar to the normal Gloom 'rest in peace' cards that are in the Cthulhu Gloom that might bring someone back to life or do other things so there are some fun new mechanics in it.

But as others have posted I'd say get this over the normal Gloom you are big into Lovecraft/Cthulhu (as this is not a game to get to introduce people into Lovecraft/Cthulhu, go with the fiction or the Dark Adventure Radio adaptations from the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society). You will enjoy the text & stories in Cthulhu Gloom more but it doesn't add a ton to the overall game. They are both good for someone like me, just depends on who you are playing with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.