BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » The Village Square

Subject: Wolf of the Week #193: Meet Chronomodra! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucky Me, Lucky Mud
msg tools
badge
mb
It is my pleasure to introduce a fun teammate, a worthy opponent, and a writer of memorable RP diary entries and mordant soliloquies. Heeeere's ... Chronomodra!

Quote:
I am honored and humbled to be Rhanddom's chosen wolf of the week, though I suppose it's appropriate since he's the only person who's been my wolf partner. So thank you, fellow wolf! (Who I threw under the bus so hard he probably has asphalt marks.)

I've always had a passion for games in general; learning the rules, applying those rules to solve problems, and the proud moment when you realize you've won.

Unfortunately my love of gaming didn't spread to the rest of my family. And as an army brat, I moved around too much to have a solid circle of gaming friends.

However, as the internet became more popular, I was able to expand my solitary video-gaming habits into a wider social circle, and eventually join up with more permanent gamer groups for video gaming, board gaming, and pen & paper rpgs.

After playing Resistance a few times with one offline gaming group, I had the hankering to play werewolf, which I had tried once or twice in college (except it was called Mafia, with no special roles except for one 'seer'.) My gaming group didn't want to, because they don't like elimination-style games, but someone mentioned that they thought people played it online somewhere.

I had been to BGG numerous times while researching what games I wanted to purchase, but never realized there were actually forums here, much less ones that people played games in. But a quick google search of 'play werewolf online' brought me to the site, and from there it was just a few 'Hi!' games before I was hooked.

You know what comes next: Two truths, one lie.
Poll
Which of these is a lie?
I spent one week in the hospital with a collapsed lung because I rolled over in bed incorrectly.
My name is in the credits of one of the top ten most popular PC video games of all time.
The only physical fight I've been in ended when I tore open the other guy's eyelid.
      13 answers
Poll created by Rhanddom

Felicitations, Chrono! Keep those flavor gems coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrono! A name I am always happy to see on a roster.

I kind of refuse to believe you've ever been in a physical fight.

Do you prefer to be on the good side or the evil side of a claim war?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemonplease wrote:

Good side, because it helps me to feel more righteous and truthful. Catching an evil that's up to no good is sort of an adrenaline rush.

I imagine losing a claim war would be better for me as good too, because I'd be more inclined to believe the village is partially to blame for my getting lynched. Whereas if I lose a claim war as evil, I have no one to blame but myself. And trust me, when I make a stupid mistake in-game, I do a lot of self-blaming and it is not pleasant.

That said, *winning* a claim war is probably more satisfying as evil, because you not only won through the validity of your arguments, you did it while being completely full of it. And chances are, winning was the result of a lot of hard work building up your fake case before you even made your initial claim.

So long story short: during or after a loss, I prefer good. But winning a claim war is more fun as evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
Chronomodra wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:

Good side, because it helps me to feel more righteous and truthful. Catching an evil that's up to no good is sort of an adrenaline rush.

I imagine losing a claim war would be better for me as good too, because I'd be more inclined to believe the village is partially to blame for my getting lynched. Whereas if I lose a claim war as evil, I have no one to blame but myself. And trust me, when I make a stupid mistake in-game, I do a lot of self-blaming and it is not pleasant.

That said, *winning* a claim war is probably more satisfying as evil, because you not only won through the validity of your arguments, you did it while being completely full of it. And chances are, winning was the result of a lot of hard work building up your fake case before you even made your initial claim.

So long story short: during or after a loss, I prefer good. But winning a claim war is more fun as evil.

Do you prefer to play good in general?

How bout the usual question? Favorite role(s)? Least favorite?

What role do you think you excel at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemonplease wrote:
Chronomodra wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:

Do you prefer to play good in general?

How bout the usual question? Favorite role(s)? Least favorite?

What role do you think you excel at?

This is sort of a complicated question.

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of purists up in arms, but I'm actually not a fan of the villager role, at least to start with.

I like having information I can rely on and base the foundations of my arguments on. I have a hard time trusting anyone in this game, so starting day 1 completely blind is frustrating at times.

My favorite roles are those that let me know the alignments of others for certain, and let me bounce ideas off of allies: namely, mason, wolf, or some other role with a chat. Seer and sorcerer are nice, though they come loaded with a lot of 'don't screw up' overhead.

Oddly enough, my least favorite role is hunter. It comes with very little information, doesn't want to die preemptively, and if they have a brutal, have to worry about accidentally killing a good.

Bottom line, though, I think I prefer evil just because they have more information, on average, and not because I like lying to people. I've yet to play an uninformed evil, but I'm sure I wouldn't care for it any more than hunter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting! That's a unique answer. I like it a lot.

Do you know of any evil tells? Or on the flip side, anything that shows that you're likely good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Henning
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rawr Im up in arms!

I cant wait to see you play a sorcerer in like a no-reveal 9er. It is so stressful having no idea if you are killing your own evils, AND you have to lie.

Do you like videogames? What are your favorite kinds?

Are robots evil or super evil?

If you were a fantasy character what would your class be?

What is your werewolf superpower - the thing you think you are best at in the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed TwoEggs
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Please rank the following in order of favorite to least favorite.

Abba
Agricola
all-claiming
Angry Video Game Nerd
bonfires
calculators
children
Cosmic Encounter
dinosaurs
Dominant Species
echoes
filters
Final Fantasy Tactics
flamethrowers
guns
Hanabi
Henry David Thoreau
igloos
Jewel
jewels
keys
knives
lemurs
logic
marriage
nightfalling
oral fixations
physics
pink
quarters
rainbows
Sailor Moon
seer hits
surf
Timesplitters
umbrellas
unicorns
veins
Warsong
Xenogears
yellow
Zulu time

Also, please add a word of your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemonplease wrote:
Interesting! That's a unique answer. I like it a lot.

Do you know of any evil tells? Or on the flip side, anything that shows that you're likely good?

If I did, I would immediately squash them or use them intentionally.

One thing I will say: me being defensive is not an evil tell, or a special tell, or any other kind of tell. I just can't help but try to defend myself, no matter what role I'm in. I need to get better at it, or better yet, not get so worked up about people voting for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickismyname wrote:
Rawr Im up in arms!

I cant wait to see you play a sorcerer in like a no-reveal 9er. It is so stressful having no idea if you are killing your own evils, AND you have to lie.

Do you like videogames? What are your favorite kinds?

Are robots evil or super evil?

If you were a fantasy character what would your class be?

What is your werewolf superpower - the thing you think you are best at in the game?

Yes, I play a lot of video games. I tend to lean towards those with actual story: RPGs and interactive fiction games, and less the 'omg kill everything that moves'. My screen name actually evolved out of various video games.

Robots are only evil in the sense that they have no morals to speak of. But it is their handlers that have the most potential for evil.

What class am I personally? Because I've played at least a dozen different classes in various RPGs. I'd probably end up at some sort of rogue/stealth type, because I'm skinny, silent, and don't draw notice unless I want to.

I'd say my werewolf superpower is math and logic -- being able to sort things out once I have a lot of information. Though maybe I should say winning claim wars, since I don't think I've lost one yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zd00 wrote:
Please rank the following in order of favorite to least favorite.

Final Fantasy Tactics
logic
Writing
seer hits
all-claiming
unicorns
Cosmic Encounter
Dominant Species
children
marriage
quarters
Agricola
Hanabi
calculators
physics
nightfalling
Xenogears
Warsong
echoes
bonfires
dinosaurs
lemurs
surf
rainbows
Angry Video Game Nerd
jewels
keys
knives
Timesplitters
Zulu time
Henry David Thoreau
veins
yellow
oral fixations
flamethrowers
guns
umbrellas
Sailor Moon
pink
filters
igloos
Abba
Jewel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed TwoEggs
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
lovely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the origin of your username?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemonplease wrote:

That will be answered at the end of the week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morcerf
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
The danger's in the subtlety...
badge
That's in between the lines... Between the darkness and the light...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hungry. What's your favourite food?
Do you like pizza? Pasta? Favourite dessert?

Hmmm... favourite desert?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeMorcerf wrote:

My favorite food is Lasagna.

However, my mother is an excellent cook, so all lasagnas are rated on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being my mother's recipe, 5 being Stouffer's, and 9 being the best lasagna I've had in a restaurant thus far. (Unfortunately, said restaurant closed down when the owner got in a shootout with the police.)

Favorite dessert is angel food cake, but unfortunately this is another one where I'm picky. Store-bought angel food is gross; it has to be homemade. So if I had to choose a dessert to love that I could trust people to make properly, I would choose trifle--preferably with a wide variety of berries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chronomodra wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:

That will be answered at the end of the week. ;)

Does it have to do with Chrono trigger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemonplease wrote:
Chronomodra wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:

That will be answered at the end of the week.

Does it have to do with Chrono trigger?

Yes and no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Pruitt
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really have a question, but I just wanted to say that everytime I see your microbadges, it makes me think of the word "Skagos" despite the fact that a letter (probably the "a") is clearly missing. Skagos is a location in the Game of Thrones series.

Uh... that's all I had to say. Congrats, and it is fun playing with you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher D.
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on WotW, Chrono.

Favorite TV series, movie, book? Or top 5 of each? Should I just look in zd00's list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adiamant wrote:
Congratulations on WotW, Chrono.

Favorite TV series, movie, book? Or top 5 of each? Should I just look in zd00's list?

My favorite TV series and movie are probably pretty cliche: I loved Firefly and movie is probably something like Shawshank Redemption.

I actually read more than I watch TV or movies. I tend to read fantasy and sci-fi. My favorite book series are probably the Codex Alera, the Mistborn series, and the Kingkiller chronicles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Chrono!

You have 165 geekgold. Why haven't you bought a geekbadge?

What's your biggest werewolf regret?

Favorite TV show? Movie? Video game? Book? Band? Comic? Brand of cereal?

Toilet paper, do you prefer soft or cheap?

What would you do for a Klondike bar?

Would you commit murder for $25 million?

What kind of car do you drive?

What kind of car don't you drive, but wish you did?

Are you married? Any kids? Pets?

Would you use drugs if they were legal?

If you had a lightsaber, what would you do with it?

You have three wishes, but they have to be SELFISH wishes. No wishing for world peace or anything stupid like that. What do you wish for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morcerf
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
The danger's in the subtlety...
badge
That's in between the lines... Between the darkness and the light...
mbmbmbmbmb
DeMorcerf wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
Congrats, Chrono!

You have 165 geekgold. Why haven't you bought a geekbadge?

What's a geekbadge?

Quote:

What's your biggest werewolf regret?

Lynching villager-Duik instead of wolf-Shawna in Game 2000

Quote:

Favorite TV show? Movie? Video game? Book? Band? Comic? Brand of cereal?

Already answered 3 of these.

Video game = Chrono Trigger

Band = Not applicable, really. I listen to video game remixes and have eclectic tastes. Savatage, maybe?

Comic = Prequel

Brand of Cereal = Cinnamon Toast Crunch

Quote:

Toilet paper, do you prefer soft or cheap?

Soft

Quote:

What would you do for a Klondike bar?

Pay the price of a Klondike bar.

Quote:

Would you commit murder for $25 million?

Hitler, maybe. Random person I don't know? Hell no.

Quote:

What kind of car do you drive?

Pontiac Vibe

Quote:

What kind of car don't you drive, but wish you did?

A newer model of the Pontiac Vibe. They are discontinued.

Quote:

Are you married? Any kids? Pets?

No, no, no. Unless you count my roommate's cats.

Quote:

Would you use drugs if they were legal?

No, no, no. I don't even drink alcohol.

Quote:

If you had a lightsaber, what would you do with it?

Become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

Quote:

You have three wishes, but they have to be SELFISH wishes. No wishing for world peace or anything stupid like that. What do you wish for?

The ability to control time.
To find my soulmate.
I'm honestly having trouble thinking of a third one, so I'll just say, the ability to spontaneously fry the computer of anyone on the internet that I think is an asshole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.