Joe Thomas
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just my gaming group, or is playing 5 players is kinda difficult?

To me, if you're playing a 5 player game and you are the last player in the group, there's 5 baddies already out and all you can do is maybe get a Hero for 2 or 3. Plus you can't hurt anybody.

I really don't think that the game scales for a 5 player game at all. 4 is pushing it as well. Are we don't something wrong? I don't think so, maybe we need some kind of variant to compensate for 5 players.

Any thoughts? Please be gentle.. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why there are more bystanders and henchmen in the 5-player deck: More opportunity for a card that doesn't take up a space, or is, at least, easier to deal with.

Admittedly, I haven't played with 5...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, adding more players to any co-op game makes it more difficult. This is because, just like you mentioned, more bad things happen between your turns, making it more difficult to react (and in the case of Legendary, even just get up to speed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 4-5 players is too long and too much downtime for this game to begin with. 1-3 only for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Artdicted
Greece
Athens
Kallithea
flag msg tools
badge
ΓΙΑ ΤΑ ΚΑΣΚΟΛ ΠΟΥ ΕΧΟΥΝ ΠΑΛΙΩΣΕΙ...ΚΑΙ ΓΙΑ ΤΗΝ ΤΡΕΛΑ ΠΟΥ ΠΟΤΕ ΔΕΝ ΘΑ ΤΕΛΕΙΩΣΕΙ
mbmbmbmbmb
Confirmed. 5 player games increase the difficulty in extremely high levels, especially with specific combinations of villains and schemes it's nearly impossible to win.

2-3 is definately the sweet spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree , I was not very fond of the game and now I realize that's because I only played 4-5 player games. On Sunday I got to play a couple 3 player games and it was so much better. Decks actually get to pull off combos and downtime is drastically reduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanner
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like playing with 5 at all. You likely have 2 - 5 villains escaping before you get the chance to shuffle and see any of the cards you have bought in the first two rounds. Even 4 is pushing it. I like 1 - 3 the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muffin B
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5 players is indeed a lot more difficult. Even so, my friends and I we're almost always 5 to play. That's why we've decided that in a 5 players game, each players has a hand size of 7. It really balances the game. And it's not too overpowered, since games still last from 45 min to an hour. Accordingly, I find that a 2 players game is too easy so we play it with a hand size of 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Diehl
United States
Junction City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
The eerie war chant emanating from the morning fog set chills down every spine. "Lah, lah, la lah, lah, lah."
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever we play 5 player at my house (which isn't often anymore) we always take 2 free turns before starting the villain deck. This allows us to buy a couple cards before having to face the sped up villain deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5 players is incredibly difficult. I don't think I've ever won a 5 player game actually, I've probably only played around 15 of them total. It becomes especially impossible if you're playing against Apocalypse or Galactus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Papasmerv wrote:
Whenever we play 5 player at my house (which isn't often anymore) we always take 2 free turns before starting the villain deck. This allows us to buy a couple cards before having to face the sped up villain deck.

To some extent, the same issue happens with 4 player games. It's rare that either of your first 2 hands will have 3-4 damage, so you're looking at 8 Villian draws before any purchased cards come into your hand. For easy scenarios this is still manageable (take the lumps early and battle back later), but for scenarios where escape villians are a Losing Condition of the scheme, your set-up makes a lot of sense. I may implement 1 free turn before starting the villian deck for 4 players (4 total, might bump this to 6 total?), and 2 free turns for 5 players (10 total).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look around in the forum here, about a year ago, someone did a bunch of math and determined that, for the game to be balanced at all player counts, the number City spaces should equal the number of players plus 2. With 5 players, there should be 7 City places.

Therefore, one possible solution is to add 1 or 2 spaces to the City for 4-5 players. You might call these spaces the Skyscraper (it should come before the Bridge) and the Warehouse (which should come between the Sewers and the Bank). Unfortunately, the board isn't expandable. You could put these spaces above the current spaces on the board, perhaps. With two players, you might eliminate the Rooftops space instead and have villains then progress straight from the Bank to the Streets.

Relevant threads/articles:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/892523/improving-scaling-wit...
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10722351#10722351

The other solution, as noted above for 5 players, is to do 2 rounds of recruiting before turning over the first Villain card. For 4 players, do 1 round of recruiting. If you think about it, the number of turns before the first villain escapes turns out the same, so this latter solution is probably easier to implement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Herandez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played 5 players, it's a drag,and painful but my team won one(out of like 10). It's a relief winning one let me tell ya lol.
If you look at it we are heroes, so the more of us, the more villains we fight against. My friends like a challenge any way!
Stop complaining! Recruit them heroes and for your life, everyone's life!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 5 is harder, but not that impossible...

The only reason I play with 5 is when I have people come over for dinner and we end up playing a game... Since these are not always veteran gamers (most of them haven't played a card game with text on the cards...), not big fans of Marvel, leading to a very narrow knowledge of characters I tend to handpick the heroes in this case.

I ask: "What do you like, the Avengers or X-men movies?" based on that I have them choose a couple of heroes they know. This handpicking does take down the difficulty a lot. We only lost 1 5- player game out of 8 games played that way.

When I DO get veterans, I still stick to handpicking (ensuring some combo's I know of), but also add more cross-affiliation cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derare wrote:
This handpicking does take down the difficulty a lot.

That's a good point.

Do you also handpick the scheme? If so, which schemes work best with 5 players and which ones do you avoid with 5 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember the exact schemes of all games we played, but I tend to select schemes I haven't played for a while. Only played the "rescue Hope" once so far. That was in a 5 player game with Stryfe (hadn't played against him for a while) and a complete X-men team. I house-ruled that X-men worked for the X-force trigger. It was a tight game, especially since I also included the Marauders and we were facing off against 10\\\ villains all the time, but in the end we won.

I guess you always have to try something at least once...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patspats
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mb
We have a House Rule when we're 5. We don't flip cards from the Villain deck on everyone's 1st and 2nd turn. It gives you the chance to buy up some cards without flooding the city with villains/bad effects.

We don't ALWAYS use this rule, we play it by ear depending how difficult the current matchup is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Boren
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Apocalypse Dude wrote:
Decks actually get to pull off combos and downtime is drastically reduced.

I play a lot of 5 player games, because at my FLGS once I whip this game out everyone wants to play. That being said, I still see people pull off combos regularly. Every game I get the Rare Angel, I manage to combo off my entire deck. I'll definitely agree on the less downtime though. I've had people take entire bathroom breaks during one of my combos. We win about 60-70% of our five player games.

The game is definitely really hard at 5 players, but the only time I've seen an unwinnable scenario at 5 players was running Apocalypse and the X-Cutioner's Song scheme. Fighting Death K.O.'s 4 heroes and letting him escape K.O.'s 5. If he shows up twice, you lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.