Subject: Do Arkham Horror lovers like Android? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to post this in the Android and/or the Arkham Horror forums but I thought the results might be swayed so, hopefully, here is best.

I'm thinking of getting Android but the reviews are divisive, shall we say. Some say it's incredibly immersive, some say it's just too convoluted. Now, I'm a real Arkham Horror fan and can see that there are similarities there, so I'm assuming I'm going to like the game. It would be interesting to know, though, what fellow AH fans think of Android.

If you own both, or have at least played both a number of times, help a poor indecisive Englishman out here please!

Poll
You own Arkham Horror and Android. Is one better than the other?
Android is much better
Android is a little better
They're about the same, both OK
They're both the same, both AMAZING
Arkham Horror is a little better
Arkham Horror is a lot better
      25 answers
Poll created by Fruit Eating Bear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played with Innsmouth Horror's Personal Story cards? Android takes that idea and runs with it, building the entire game around the 5 detectives available for play. There aren't a lot of other similarities, aside from Kevin Wilson's involvement...I started with Android, then bought Arkham Horror thinking I'd love it just as much, but Android is the clear winner for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
Have you played with Innsmouth Horror's Personal Story cards? Android takes that idea and runs with it, building the entire game around the 5 detectives available for play. There aren't a lot of other similarities, aside from Kevin Wilson's involvement...I started with Android, then bought Arkham Horror thinking I'd love it just as much, but Android is the clear winner for me.

Thanks for replying, Byron, I own Innsmouth and have played with the personal stories. I understand that Android isn't 'Clue in space', and if the reviews weren't so polarised I'm certain I would have snapped Android up already. I guess the vote and the comments here will help. There's a good chance that if x number of people say that Android is at least on a par with the mighty Arkham, then I'm in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Android, and I really really like Arkham Horror, but I've only managed to get Android played three times, and two of those times we didn't finish it. Because of that, I have trouble getting it on the table even with my Arkham Horror friends, because it "takes too long" and it's "fiddly."

Yeah, people who'll play Arkham Horror with all the expansions don't want to commit the time and effort to Android. I don't think it's actually that much worse than a typical game of Arkham Horror, but unfortunately that's the perception it's gotten with my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
parkrrrr wrote:
I really like Android, and I really really like Arkham Horror, but I've only managed to get Android played three times, and two of those times we didn't finish it. Because of that, I have trouble getting it on the table even with my Arkham Horror friends, because it "takes too long" and it's "fiddly."

Yeah, people who'll play Arkham Horror with all the expansions don't want to commit the time and effort to Android. I don't think it's actually that much worse than a typical game of Arkham Horror, but unfortunately that's the perception it's gotten with my group.

Cheers Ron. I guess I'm leaning more towards waiting, then. Base game Arkham's not a huge amount of fun, so maybe an Android expansion might fix a few things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:

Cheers Ron. I guess I'm leaning more towards waiting, then. Base game Arkham's not a huge amount of fun, so maybe an Android expansion might fix a few things.

If you're waiting for an Android expansion, prepare to wait a long, long time. The game's just begging for some PoD expansions, if nothing else, but I doubt there'll ever be any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games are awesome, and in my top 10. Android is definitely the more fiddly one, but it has just as much atmosphere as AH, if not more. It's also a little more open-ended than AH, where you can focus on what you want to do rather than what needs to be done. My only complaint about it is that it's not one I get to play all the time. Whenever I do though, it's always a memorable event.

You should try and pick it up to give it a try. I'm not sure how expensive it is in England, but in the states it's dirt cheap for the quality and all the components you get. It really pushes the limits of board gaming, IMO, almost to the point that this should have been a video game. I may be building it up a lot, but if you go into it with the mindset that it's an experience more than a game that you should be trying to win, it's a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To revisit the question, my take on it (and what seems to be indicated by the poll) is that there is no clear correlation between loving Arkham and loving Android. What they have in common is A) a designer and publisher, B) lots of cards, bits and flavor text, C) the personal story/plot mechanic, and D) a reputation for being fiddly and time-consuming, with multiple disparate game elements slotting together like clockwork.

Maybe people expecting Android to be like AH and Descent is part of the reason it gets such mixed reviews? Maybe it just reached the wrong audience? For me, it is like an intricate Euro game that is overflowing with chrome and bits, where AH feels more traditionally Ameritrashy, albeit with some really creative elements. I got into Stefan Feld only recently, but there is definitely a similar element as seen in some of his games of juggling multiple relatively simple minigames simultaneously with another element constraining your actions--in this case, movement on the board. The element of luck in Android is minimal, or to put it differently, the only thing unpredictable is the behavior of your opponents, but it can feel very swingy when you lose your entire turn because you stopped in the bar as Raymond and someone happened to be holding the "Just One More Drink" card. I have not gotten to play it enough with the same group to judge, but after a few plays, I got the feeling that the advanced game, i.e. when everybody knows the various decks inside and out, could get very cerebral and doublethinky, a chess-like battle of wits with a lot of theme poured on.

+1 to the idea of trying to pick it up cheaply and just trying it. I've seen it for as low as $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.