Lorenzo Pacq
Italy
Novara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My Tequila glass is half empty on the table while I’m waiting for the last participant of this evening meeting in Sonora,
Pascual Orozco is nervous sitting in front of me, keeping tightly in his hands the latest paper of “Quien Sabe?” the anarchist revolution bulletin shut down by the federal troop.
His dreams of revolution are almost vanished, adding to it the latest news received of local militia crashing the insurgency revolution of Yaqui indian in Chihuaha.
The third hacendados at the table is Boss Shephered, he cracks a smile, letting me suspect it could be involved to what happened at the Yaqui Plantation and I’m quite sure his wallet is also well full considering that he’s keeping the complete control of the gun stores up north near the US border.
I’m not concerned too much, I know very well his contacts with Gringos increased lately but I have a couple of surprises which will crash his plan, the Mexican people will not easily accept a US intervention…
Ranchos and mines are now working again at full capacity, the depression lasted more than expected and left me almost empty handed but anyway I succeded to improve my loyalist contacts.
It’s just a matter of time and I’m pretty sure that my efforts will be awarded, considering also that the health of Presidentissimo is slowly worsening and he’ll not stay with us any much longer…
Suddenly the door of the bar slam open and a running Fabjoski, the russian revolutionary which has been a constant presence in the last years move toward us.
- The troops took control of Parliament! It’s a military putsch!-
Mierda! My dreams of glory are abruptly fading away…
- Not everything is lost, I’m sure Porfirio will soon react and everything will be ok - immediately says Orozco, now even Porfirio solution looks to him better than the impending martial law.
Guns shot out of the bar are indicating that the situation is quickly collapsing.
Orozco is right, Porfirio has always be able to guide us during this dark time and he’ll always be there to lead Mexico out of these chaotic years.
- How can’t you know?? Three hours ago El Presidente has been shot! Porfirio is dead!- tells us Fabjoski with a cold voice.
All pieces now are going in the right place, I understand why Venusiano Carrazco has not come to the meeting, his plan had already started and took us by surprise.
- My dear hacendados, all is lost. Paris should be very nice in this season…- I added spitting on the ground the Weyman & Bros I was chewing during this last evening in Mexico…

Pax Porfirian is all this and a lot more, a tiny box with inside 220 cards, 75 cubes, a bunch of discs and more importantly a great simulation of the chaotic times in Mexico during the regime of Porfirio Diaz (1880-1911).
Pax P. eludes the standard classification eurogame-ameritrash and it represent for Sierra Madre Games of Phil Eklund a modern version of their games, or better simulation, able to concentrate in 2 hours 30 years of history.
For us Italian players the setting is almost unknown and could be not too much fascinating, unless (as me) you grow with breads and mexican spaghetti western movies.
Another difficulty is coming from the abundant english text on card and from rules that even not being difficult as other games from S.M.G. it’s nonetheless quite tough, a great help is coming from the living rules which can clear up some points that could lead to confusion.
Having said this Pax in my opinion is a great card game, it is possible to have up to 6 players (just adding another set of 15 cubes) and it’s just enough to have the wish to be taken in a cutthroat and chaotic Mexico, pacifist are better to stay away 

And now I’ll just have to eagerly waiting for the new game “Pax Renaissance” with Doge and Italian city-states!

P.S. To be even more deeply involved with the mood I add a couple of movies suggestion: “Duck, you suckers” by Sergio Leone, “Quien Sabe?” By Damiano Damiani (also known as “A bullet for the General”) and “Vamos a matar compañeros” by Sergio Corbucci. I suggest also two books of the Mexican Revolution written by Valerio Evangelisti (more known for the Nicolas Eymerich’s inquisitor cycle) Il collare di fuoco e Il collare spezzato (unfortunately only available in Italian and Spanish edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagato Fujibayashi

Athens
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lollosven wrote:
And now I’ll just have to eagerly waiting for the new game “Pax Renaissance” with Doge and Italian city-states!

Don't joke about this- if I remember well Phil Eklund writes somewhere in the Pax rulebook that if someone has a good suggestion for a theme for a similar game he can propose it and he will take it seriously. Do it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Pacq
Italy
Novara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No joke Nagato... it's in development. Ciao!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
shinobu wrote:
Lollosven wrote:

Don't joke about this- if I remember well Phil Eklund writes somewhere in the Pax rulebook that if someone has a good suggestion for a theme for a similar game he can propose it and he will take it seriously. Do it!

Why joking? Phil is in fact working on that title. It is only on hold because Greenland has priority at the moment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for the review, Lorenzo! The review title alone has made my day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
shinobu wrote:
Lollosven wrote:

He's not joking, just mentioning that Pax Renaissance is already in development. See here for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Pax Pamir.

Nice review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Pacq
Italy
Novara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Martin, I was in doubt if posting as a review or a session, I tried to gave the readers the feeling the game gave me during the play.

By the way, below the picture of the russian anarchist Fabjoski (in the centre) taken during his Ekaterniburg visit in 1905, playing Russian Railroads with other revolutionaries.

Nice information indeed, I'll be looking to get more news about Pax Pamir, really loved the Pax mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Bird
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lollosven wrote:

P.S. To be even more deeply involved with the mood I add a couple of movies suggestion: “Duck, you suckers” by Sergio Leone, “Quien Sabe?” By Damiano Damiani (also known as “A bullet for the General”) and “Vamos a matar compañeros” by Sergio Corbucci. I suggest also two books of the Mexican Revolution written by Valerio Evangelisti (more known for the Nicolas Eymerich’s inquisitor cycle) Il collare di fuoco e Il collare spezzato (unfortunately only available in Italian and Spanish edition).

Late to this party, but yes, 'Duck You Suckers' is an outstanding film and for me, though flawed, is probably the best of the 'Once Upon A Time...' series or, if not the best, then the one I have the greatest fondness for. ('Once Upon A Time In America' is superb, but so bloody depressing.) Incidentally, I can also highly recommend 'Facia a Facia', although I suspect you've already seen it!

Oh, also love Pax Porforiana!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Riley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ingulphus wrote:
Late to this party, but yes, 'Duck You Suckers' is an outstanding film and for me, though flawed, is probably the best of the 'Once Upon A Time...' series or, if not the best, then the one I have the greatest fondness for.

Seconded! I can also highly recommend Quien Sabe?, and while we're on the subject I might as well mention the original Django, which is an absolutely brilliant film.

Speaking of Italian cinema, I've recently got into the poliziotteschi genre of films. Check out Napoli Violenta (Violent Naples) for a rollercoaster ride of non-stop action. It's nowhere near as lyrical as Leone (it's hardly lyrical at all to be honest) but it's a huge amount of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.