Francesco Neri
Italy
Livorno
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Francesco Neri
mbmbmb
I always considered Himalaya a really good game, and i dislike the missing of availability for a 2 player game.
Please implement it on this "reprint" !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if set in the Seasons world, it's strange that no allowance was made for two players, since Seasons is most often played as a two-player game and Seasons players are surely a target market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I keep seeing this ridiculous argument. Seasons is NOT just a 2 player game and there's no reason this would have to be just because Seasons is playable 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
I keep seeing this ridiculous argument. Seasons is NOT just a 2 player game and there's no reason this would have to be just because Seasons is playable 2 player.

This. I have played a lot of Seasons 2-player, but I've played it even more with 3 and even 4 players.

It's a weird argument that makes no sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeroCool_ITA wrote:
I always considered Himalaya a really good game, and i dislike the missing of availability for a 2 player game.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:
ZeroCool_ITA wrote:

+1

+1!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:

This. I have played a lot of Seasons 2-player, but I've played it even more with 3 and even 4 players.

It's a weird argument that makes no sense.

The game just has too much downtime for a 3/4 player game for me, but some people also commonly play EDH with Magic: The Gathering, which is positively brain-numbing for me waiting for 3 or 4 players to do a bunch of combo-licious stuff before I can take my turn again... at least in that game you can poke into someone else's turn.

Anyway, I can see people playing Seasons 3 or 4 but there are a lot of people that enjoy it primarily as a 2-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
The game just has too much downtime for a 3/4 player game for me, but some people also commonly play EDH with Magic: The Gathering, which is positively brain-numbing for me waiting for 3 or 4 players to do a bunch of combo-licious stuff before I can take my turn again... at least in that game you can poke into someone else's turn.

Anyway, I can see people playing Seasons 3 or 4 but there are a lot of people that enjoy it primarily as a 2-player game.

I guess it depends on who you play with. None of my friends really take very long turns in this game except for one guy, and I've only played this with him a couple of times. The more you play it the quicker turns go, even with 3 or 4.

I'm sure there's lots of players that enjoy it as a 2 player, myself included. But I don't really see what that has to do with Lords of Xidit.

I'm sure Lords of Xidit will be fun, but I could care less if it plays for 2 players or not, nor do I think it *has* to include 2 player just because some people like to play Seasons 2 player.

I mean, I guess I wouldn't have a problem with Xidit having a 2 player mode, but it's game system doesn't seem like it can accommodate that without messing up the game. It would probably be very clunky. And if I really need a game to play with just 2 players there exists a TON of other games I can already grab.

Just a weird argument that I don't understand I guess. *shrug*.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele Castriotta
Germany
flag msg tools
I think it is sad too. Most of the time, i play more complex games just as two-player. :-)

Bit it will noit stop me from getting it ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG rating also says that Seasons is most commonly played (and best with) two players. I would also love if Lords of Xidit had a two player mode, but I guess I can live without it. It's a very different game afterall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeroCool_ITA wrote:

Really? Because 91% of respondents said Himalaya was Not Recommended with 2 players. I can see how many people would get turned off of Himalaya if they tried to play it first at 2 players, a number for which most people think it plays poorly. Eliminating that player count seems really smart if the game plays that poorly at 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mesina
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't they just make a double-sided board with a 2-3 player side and a 4+ side and solve the whole issue? (I've never played the original, so I honestly don't know.) If they can, they should, because it would improve on the original and provide incentive for owner's of the previous edition to buy the newest edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristina Fuentes
Spain
Rubi
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want play it with 2 player too. Please do it available for 2 players .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Neri
Italy
Livorno
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Francesco Neri
mbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:

Really? Because 91% of respondents said Himalaya was Not Recommended with 2 players. I can see how many people would get turned off of Himalaya if they tried to play it first at 2 players, a number for which most people think it plays poorly. Eliminating that player count seems really smart if the game plays that poorly at 2.

I suppose you misunderstanding the real statistic. most of them never tried the game in two players. They simply click on not racommended because it's a game for 3+ players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

Perhaps, but IMHO season is better with two and drags with more. I haven't read the rules but why won't this game work with two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Boyd
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only does Xidit not play 2p, you need a dummy player to play with 3. I'd like to know how it plays with 3 and a dummy. A game that plays only 4-5 players well seems too restrictive. I love the look of this game, but I don't want a game that won't get played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
The dummy player doesn't actually moves around on the board it's represented on the score track for majority. Everytime you get a worker or someting els the dummy player just moves up one on the track representing that recource you took.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Neri
Italy
Livorno
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Francesco Neri
mbmbmb
HopRodRye34 wrote:
Not only does Xidit not play 2p, you need a dummy player to play with 3. I'd like to know how it plays with 3 and a dummy. A game that plays only 4-5 players well seems too restrictive. I love the look of this game, but I don't want a game that won't get played.

This is the real reason why i will continue to prefer play Himalaya ninja, even if Xidit have a better quality components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Boyd
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolverine1977 wrote:
The dummy player doesn't actually moves around on the board it's represented on the score track for majority. Everytime you get a worker or someting els the dummy player just moves up one on the track representing that recource you took.

Thanks, that's good news. I went ahead and ordered the game. I think it'll be a hit with the game group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeroCool_ITA wrote:
HopRodRye34 wrote:

This is the real reason why i will continue to prefer play Himalaya ninja, even if Xidit have a better quality components.

Okay, I will look up the rules for Himalaya.
But it that version has a good 2p variant, can't we use that for Xidit too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob McFadden
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolverine1977 wrote:
The dummy player doesn't actually moves around on the board it's represented on the score track for majority. Every time you get a worker or something else the dummy player just moves up one on the track representing that resource you took.

You actually only move the dummy player forward "whenever a player eliminates a threat" ... otherwise the dummy player would get moved forward too far and would likely win each game ... As it is, the dummy has come VERY close to knocking other players out in the 2 3-player games I have played.

In general, I like the way the dummy player works as you can try to use it to eliminate others with careful advancements.

I do not think the 3-player game works that well otherwise though and certainly does not play as well as 4 or 5 player games ...

The problem is that by the end of the game, every player has placed all their Influence and Reputation tokens leaving gold (and units behind the screen for tie breaking) as being the only important resources ... Therefore, the entire end-game scoring mechanism loses much of it's ingenuity and importance.

I am wondering if, with 3 players, this game should be only played as a "short game" ... which is what we will try next with 3 players.

The other option is to reduce the number of tiles to 3 of each instead of 4 ... although I would be concerned that too much time would be spent travelling then ...

I suspect that a 2-player variant might suffer from the same problem without some significant changes ... I personally have no desire to try this as a 2-player game as I suspect that even with variants, it will miss this game's sweet spot !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.