Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Blue Max: World War I Air Combat» Forums » General

Subject: Good materiel but... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
...I'm disappointed by the rules (2013 edition).
I don't like the secrecy rules, and other several things.

I played X-wing : for me X-wing is modern and Blue max rules are old fashionned.

But I want to play with these beautiful planes, and with the beautiful hexboard.


What rules do you recommend me?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebeard
United States
Joshua
Texas
flag msg tools
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
badge
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Canvas Eagles is a print and play version of Blue Max. I would start by looking at these rules and see if they are more to your liking.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity, do you also dislike the secrecy in X-Wing?

I was actually surprised at the similarities between the two with Blue Max providing more in the way of detail to movement, damage and resource management that doesn't exist in X-Wing. The only things that I really miss from X-Wing when playing Blue Max is the ability to customize my units.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pilum2008 wrote:
...I'm disappointed by the rules (2013 edition).
I don't like the secrecy rules, and other several things.

I played X-wing : for me X-wing is modern and Blue max rules are old fashionned.

But I want to play with these beautiful planes, and with the beautiful hexboard.

What rules do you recommend me?

You can take the first edition rules and use them, you can even by play them on-line on YouPlay.It. For the second edition you should look around or download them from the net in French.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
JayAdan wrote:
Just out of curiosity, do you also dislike the secrecy in X-Wing?

I was actually surprised at the similarities between the two with Blue Max providing more in the way of detail to movement, damage and resource management that doesn't exist in X-Wing. The only things that I really miss from X-Wing when playing Blue Max is the ability to customize my units.




Sorry, but there are no secrecy rules in X-wing :

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support...

Canvas eagles contains secrecy rules as 1st edition rules of Blue max : this is not for me.

Perhaps I will adapt Angel 20 rules for my WW1 planes...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pilum2008 wrote:
JayAdan wrote:
Just out of curiosity, do you also dislike the secrecy in X-Wing?

I was actually surprised at the similarities between the two with Blue Max providing more in the way of detail to movement, damage and resource management that doesn't exist in X-Wing. The only things that I really miss from X-Wing when playing Blue Max is the ability to customize my units.




Sorry, but there are no secrecy rules in X-wing :

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support...

...



Quote:
1. Planning Phase:
Each player secretly chooses
one maneuver for each of his ships by using its
maneuver dial.


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
saxophone wrote:
pilum2008 wrote:
JayAdan wrote:
Just out of curiosity, do you also dislike the secrecy in X-Wing?

I was actually surprised at the similarities between the two with Blue Max providing more in the way of detail to movement, damage and resource management that doesn't exist in X-Wing. The only things that I really miss from X-Wing when playing Blue Max is the ability to customize my units.




Sorry, but there are no secrecy rules in X-wing :

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support...

...



Quote:
1. Planning Phase:
Each player secretly chooses
one maneuver for each of his ships by using its
maneuver dial.


:what:



No, no, no !
I speak about secrecy rules about DAMAGES !
Secrecy rules about maneuver is a good thing for me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wasson
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play with damage revealed, then do so. There is no reason to play Blue Max any other way than how it suits you, as long as all players agree.

I play Blue Max with phased movement and combat, which is very different from any rules set of Blue Max or Canvas Eagles. I have all of my own custom maneuver charts for each aircraft. But, it is still pretty much Blue Max. Play it how you like, have fun!

As an aside, damage has always been secret in Blue Max. The reason for damage to be secret, is that in actual combat, there was no way for a pilot to know how exactly much damage has been inflicted on an enemy aircraft.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nothing says "I love you" like a new dice bag
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Blue Max: World War I Air Combat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.