Popular Tags: [View All]
Augusto E. Rodrigues
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The automated quest generator spreadsheet is up.
You can find them in the files section with the lvl 1 test quest Kobold "Kwarri".

Feel free to test it and share your opinions. And if you like the spreadsheet, create your on quests with it to share them with us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beto Francischinelli
Brazil
Itu
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ooohhh!! :3

that's sexy! puts my own version to shame. I had plans to make one like yours, but my spreadsheet has room for only one quest (Troll Lair). Unfortunately, my Office (at work) is a bit old and some of the functions don't translate well. I'll test it at home.

One thing I noticed is your spreadsheet calculates everything at once - including traps and treasure - as soon as you generate the room. I've seen you mention it on the "readme", but I'd like to share my view anyway. I think you could separate the rolls into:

* Room Construction (tile, doors, chests, locks - but not traps! - for each door/chest, encounter/event, monsters, arrangement, awareness)
* Door Trap
* Chest Trap
* Treasure

The first roll has everything that you put on the table, and what is instantly known. The others are only consulted when you inspect the door/chest.

Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Augusto E. Rodrigues
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point.

To be fair, this is the most ambicious project i´ve ever done in excel so i´m still not sure how to do some things (XD) i´ve learned quite a bit while doing it.

I´m not sure if excel can perform separate rolls or update only certain areas, but i can try to reorganize the layout in a way you don´t need to spoil yourself of the nasty suprises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Here's a report on my first session with your dungeon generator.
1. I accidentally overlooked the monster table for about 6 turns. I will get that right next time.
2. Lots of chests but being able to see what's inside is different. I like it when I need to know, and don't like it when I am healthy and doing fine. It's good that you have an option for removing the knowledge of what the chest contains. Generally I'd say that's the better way to go.
3. Felt like a few too many door traps were generated, but it was my first run-through, so you never can tell. Also really got battered by landslide checks (they did more damage to me than anything).
4. I had to backtrack several times because I would run into a door that said Great Key. When I backtrack there is no chance of a random encounter in a previously explored area - is that correct?
5. When a door does say Great Key I take it you mean that is the Great Door and that the Unique Room lies beyond. Is that a correct assumption?
6. I did run into several "Great Key" doors before I managed to get a key. Just saying.
7. How does that 10(6) timespan factor in if my #5 point is true? Do I not need to keep track of timespan?
8. Aside from my Great Key/Door understanding there were a few things that seemed a bit ambiguous. I don't see anything in my notes about it so I will try to remember and report back on it.
9. I generated a hallway with 6 chests. That made them difficult to place and to get around, but I improvised. Besides, the chests were most welcome by that point! Just saying that it was a bit crowded.

Gravity, I'd say it worked quite well. As you might know, I play on a 25mm chart of graph paper so I adjusted the rooms/doors/hallways accordingly but it all seemed to work out.
Once I established my hero order for exploring hallways I rarely worried about actual movement allowances. Movement only seems to be an issue when within a monster-occupied room. Actually, because of the preponderance of trapped doors, it certainly made a difference where heroes were standing there as well.

Otherwise, I think this version could be played without tiles or mini's/markers. Just some 8 1/2 x 11 graph paper might do the trick. If you had a 6x6 homogenous room drawn out and your hero & monster markers you could just whip those out when a melee begins. In fact, perhaps for my next playthough I will try things that way.

Kudos to you, Gravity. It looks like a LOT of work you have done here. I really enjoyed it and will report on my second go at it to see if there are any consistencies with what I mention above or if the random generator spits out a completely different canter to things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Just played my second game of XL generated "Kobold'Kwarri'" and it was spot on.
Some of the notation I did not get. Example: what is meant by Noxious Mist (RES dif 2 - Else-1DEF until healed(min1)?
I think it means if I fail the RES2 check then my DEF is played at -1. What is the "min 1"?
There are lots of encounters so my heroes took a good beating. I made it to two Great Doors but was so beaten up that I wandered about looking for healing first. Couldn't find any healing potions so I never really went through the Great Door because I would be severely beaten! So I just kind of gave up cry

I encountered some sleeping monsters so I opted not to engage. But I was forced to return so what I did was "roll" for a new room until I got the same number of monsters (although their precise make-up was different, this seemed fair). Once I defeated them I did the same thing for chests and ignored the monsters. I think that works fine. What do you think?

One other question. If you get that writing on the wall that allows for a +1 on Door Trapped Detection is that a permanent bonus or just once for the next door?

It's hard, but good. I will go at it once more and then attempt to create my own dungeon. We need more quests for this game and I feel this spreadsheet generator allows for quick generation and subsequent playtests. A few playtests should allow me(anyone) to achieve a quicker balance since the spreadsheet makes for easy adjustments. Then we can all start spitting out awesome quests.

I see the need to get special rooms in there as soon as possible, but other than that ... YAHOO meeplemeeplelaughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Augusto E. Rodrigues
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilson, thanks for the feedback. It already showed some things i hadn´t noticed. I was so eager to receive feedback on the excel that i forgot to test the quest that much.

Some comments:
- Chests generated on hallways. That´s an error on my part. Chest should only be generated in rooms (when encounters happen).

- Noxious Mist - Yeah i noted down the effect and i later forgot to detail it. If you fail the RES check (dif 2) you get a -1 DEF penalizer but you can never drop below DEF 1.

- Wall Writings give you bonus only on next door detection (it´s written, you should have missed)

- Landslides where made to punish parties who focus too much on ATK/DEF and do not invest points in their secondary attributes. But maybe they do too much damage, i think I should reduce it to 1 damage regardless of the check.

- Doors had a 33% chance of being trapped right now. You might just have been unlucky. (XD)

- Yeah, a door requiring a Great Key leads to the Unique Room.

- I might need to check how Great Doors are generated, maybe i didn´t get it right. I think you are right and i messed up with the timespan because right now it´s not being taken in account. I will correct that in the next revision.

I´d say that maybe the quest is a bit hard for a lvl 1 party, because the final boss is kinda ruthless. I tested some times without loot but with a full life party and it was a tough fight even then.

I will try to revise these things during this week.

By the way, just as a reference, what was yout party compositions, and how did you feel about the regular kobold encounters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
gravitypool wrote:
Wilson, thanks for the feedback. It already showed some things i hadn´t noticed. I was so eager to receive feedback on the excel that i forgot to test the quest that much.

Some comments:
- Chests generated on hallways. That´s an error on my part. Chest should only be generated in rooms (when encounters happen).

- Noxious Mist - Yeah i noted down the effect and i later forgot to detail it. If you fail the RES check (dif 2) you get a -1 DEF penalizer but you can never drop below DEF 1.

- Wall Writings give you bonus only on next door detection (it´s written, you should have missed)

- Landslides where made to punish parties who focus too much on ATK/DEF and do not invest points in their secondary attributes. But maybe they do too much damage, i think I should reduce it to 1 damage regardless of the check.

- Doors had a 33% chance of being trapped right now. You might just have been unlucky. (XD)

- Yeah, a door requiring a Great Key leads to the Unique Room.

- I might need to check how Great Doors are generated, maybe i didn´t get it right. I think you are right and i messed up with the timespan because right now it´s not being taken in account. I will correct that in the next revision.

I´d say that maybe the quest is a bit hard for a lvl 1 party, because the final boss is kinda ruthless. I tested some times without loot but with a full life party and it was a tough fight even then.

I will try to revise these things during this week.

By the way, just as a reference, what was yout party compositions, and how did you feel about the regular kobold encounters?

That's how I played the Noxious Mist. It just took some figuring to understand the notation. Btw, really creative things you have come up with in this quest.
I'm also right with you when you want a means to emphasize attributes other than attack and defend. It's important to make good use of the stats available. In fact I think I saw one of the quests (not yours I don't think) that penalized WIT or something like that. I think that's precisely the right direction for things. That's why I am also a fan of "team" efforts in my house rules. I do things like "searches" together. In other words they are all looking for stuff. They either succeed as a team or fail as a team. It requires them to add a bunch of their stats together and succeed with a check of 8 or 9. Anyhow, I digress.
I was tempted to play with my 3.1 heroes because 3.1 makes stronger characters. Alas, I did not...I used my 3.8 set up of 2 fighters, a thief and a magic user. FYI my magic user cannot afford magic school at level one so she uses a manna wand (which is plenty powerful on its own anyhow). My 3.1 set up includes a priest/cleric but other than healing, I didn't see a need for him (no undead to take care of). Unless I see an undead factor in a quest I may never bring him back at all.

I am now creating quests too. The one I am working on right now is married to my own mechanic (basically the same but uses fewer stat categories). I will be sending you a pm about that within a week or so.

Oh, and the Kobolds seemed overwhelming at first but in the end I felt it was fair. And the Great Door generation wasn't bad either, it just popped up so early I wasn't sure of it. Just one of those random things that will likely be totally different next play through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Augusto E. Rodrigues
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, working on the XL i'm pleased to say that it now supports the plot counter and the chests are gone from corridors. Also fine tuned some errors so i might upload a revised version later this week.

I was thinkin on the team tests just about now and then i remember that on my first play i lost my Rogue on the very first room so i had to make it to the end with a party of three. Team tests can be severely hindered if one or more party members croaked.

If they are tied to a trap, they can even worsen the situation of the group.

Maybe it will be cool to create events that use this "team check" but only to give bonuses (like the Writings on the Wall event on Kobold "Kwarri"). For example, make a Library room, the team makea a collective WIT test and if they pass the target, find a scroll with a 1 use spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I realize that rolling as a team has liabilities, as you describe, but I like that. It seems realistic to me. If 4 heroes search then their chances are better, whereas if there are fewer heroes searching then the chances decrease. I use the same concept for "smashing" items.
I like your idea of using it when a bonus is attached, perhaps even only in that instance. Perhaps I will try something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.