Subject: Well Obama has one thing going for him... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's never boring...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/03/russian-deputy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Which is...?

I said, looking above, It's never boring...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those looks like Russians to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Which is...?

I said, looking above, It's never boring...

I was bored and missed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me guess. You think that if a Russian official laughs about sanctions then this is evidence that Obama's sanction regime is laughable?

As a thought experiment, imagine two worlds. In one, Russian officials think that the sanctions won't hurt them. In the other, they think they will. In which world do they make public statements that the sanctions won't hurt them?

I'd guess both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Let me guess. You think that if a Russian official laughs about sanctions then this is evidence that Obama's sanction regime is laughable?

As a thought experiment, imagine two worlds. In one, Russian officials think that the sanctions won't hurt them. In the other, they think they will. In which world do they make public statements that the sanctions won't hurt them?

I'd guess both.

If you don't get it, that is fine. I do not need to spend 1000 pages trying to explain it to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point, I am curious to see if the folks still think that Obama/the US is handling this correctly/well.

From my perspective, the answer is no - but in many ways, there is very little that can be done because of decisions made over the course of the last 12-13 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

I'd guess both.

If you don't get it, that is fine. I do not need to spend 1000 pages trying to explain it to you.

The point is clear: argle bargle Obama bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

I'd guess both.

The point is clear: argle bargle Obama bad.

Ok - lets turn it around then - do you think Obama is doing well in the Crimea crisis? Do you think that American Interests are being advanced there?

Because thus far based on everything that is public - it really seems like they are not - and like it or hate it - Obama gets the credit when things go well (Osama) and the blame when they go bad - and to be blunt, not seeing a whole lot of good so far - just a lot of talk and meaningless threats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
What real interests does America have in the Crimea, either way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
Ok - lets turn it around then - do you think Obama is doing well in the Crimea crisis? Do you think that American Interests are being advanced there?

I think he's doing about as well as one could hope given the realities of the situation. But I'm game. Tell me what he could do better that would actually help the people of Ukraine.

Quote:
Because thus far based on everything that is public - it really seems like they are not - and like it or hate it - Obama gets the credit when things go well (Osama) and the blame when they go bad - and to be blunt, not seeing a whole lot of good so far - just a lot of talk and meaningless threats.

This is just hogwash without any foundation. The President has been taken to task over Egypt, Libya, Syria, Tunisia, Afghanistan, etc. by both liberals and conservatives. Sometimes with merit, sometimes without.

Why anybody thinks he's somehow coated in Teflon is beyond me. His approval numbers simply don't bear that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:

Exactly.

Americans as a "public opinion" has very little interest in the Crimea.

I see the Crimea as an area that is ethnic Russian who has during a time of chaotic government turnover decided it wants its controlled interest in another government. Formally Illegal or not. And the U.S. government trying to propagandize it to fit their narrative is just not working.

The whole evil empire thing is passe'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

It is odd how much is being made of it. It's not like there is ethnic cleansing going on. There aren't any human rights abuses at all that I know of, other than maybe the right to protest. It is solely people worried about Russian expansion. In fact, the worry over this is affecting real issues like the conflict in the Central African Republic.
http://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-crisis-hampers-eus-central-afr...

Some argue that Obama hasn't done enough in this crisis (CAR) and actual innocent people are being killed quite regularly.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-central-african-r...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:

Exactly.

I see the Crimea as an area that is ethnic Russian who has during a time of chaotic government turnover decided it wants its controlled interest in another government. Formally Illegal or not. And the U.S. government trying to propagandize it to fit their narrative is just not working.

It's nothing but politics. If Obama did something, it would be the wrong something. Since he's doing little, he needs to be doing something. And if it was a GOPer in office, the Dems would be playing the same game. But in this instance, there doesn't seem to be anything that needs to be done. We do not need to get involved in every single civil war that exists on the planet. Sometimes, we can let other people sort stuff out for themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

It's nothing but politics. If Obama did something, it would be the wrong something. Since he's doing little, he needs to be doing something. And if it was a GOPer in office, the Dems would be playing the same game. But in this instance, there doesn't seem to be anything that needs to be done. We do not need to get involved in every single civil war that exists on the planet. Sometimes, we can let other people sort stuff out for themselves.

The only way I see this being something we need to get involved in is if there is a clear and present danger to our Allies in NATO. We can support the U.N. condemning sham elections 100%, but doing anything outside of U.N. action suggests a personal stake that we don't really have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

I'd guess both.

My guess is that if you had anything worth explaining you could do it in less than 1000 words and probably in 1000 characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:

Exactly.

Thats all well and good, but history shows that these wars, when no one intervenes, generally devolve into a massive slaughter of innocent people. Maybe this time it'll be different.

I agree though, the US should not be the world police.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:

Exactly.

Thats all well and good, but history shows that these wars, when no one intervenes, generally devolve into a massive slaughter of innocent people. Maybe this time it'll be different.

But that is because these types of wars are generally ethnic in nature. One group has spent decades being oppressed, they finally get in power, and the come-uppance arrives with a side order of blood. That doesn't look like what's going on here. There's not the ethnic element to it. There's no "we've been oppressed and now it's time to eradicate our oppressors." It's a massive contract dispute among nations. It just feels like all the elements that lend themselves to wholesale slaughter simply aren't there. I admit, I may be wrong, but that's the feeling I get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be ethnic violence down the road. The Tartar minority and Russia have a *thing*

As for serving American interests, there are no distinctly American interests at stake. What is at stake is global interests. It is in the interest of the global community to come down hard and in a unified way when an influential country goes rogue and behaves like a banana republic. As this is a problem being addressed in a new manner(previously we just had wars) it is going to be slow forming and make missteps. What I think Obama has done well is to not grandstand be sure it is not simply a US/Russia thing. I am waiting to see how it plays out, but in the end this will be a shared global result not an Obama one no matter how it settles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
...and then he will be doing bad things in Chicago.

This statement is redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:

The mindset from the Cold War that the US needs to get involved in everything really needs to die, and die soon. I'd go so far as to argue that attitude was what caused the Cold War in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:

Exactly.

When has intervention done anything except delay the inevitable, though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:

Exactly.

I think it TheDashi's world, if Prez Obama is doing something, it's gotta be BADDDDDDDDDDD. He could be inventing Cold Fusion, the cure for cancer, anything, it would be BAD, BAD, BAD. Nothing will be good about Obama until he's out of the White House, and then he will be doing bad things in Chicago.

Negative Sir, you are WWWRRRRRRRROOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When he first got elected, he promised no lobbyists.... I thought that was a good idea, but he didnt do it. Does that count? I supported what he lied about? If he had actually done it, I dont know if the Dems would have gotten mad at him.
This is what I remember from 2008, so it has been pretty much downhill since then.
I am trying to think of something else that has actually happened, not a hypothetical.
He supported the defense of marriage act, until he changed his mind about that. Does that count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.