8 Posts

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Communication aspect rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomorrow i want buy this game, i had already readied the rules, but cant understand a communication aspect between players. What a point to play with closed cards if i can talk about them? And in other way, after 1st playing card into game, all other players will see that card and can memorize it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, the point is that you choose which of your cards to play, instead of showing your hand to another player who will choose among them. You can ask for help deciding, but only to the extent that you can understand your cards well enough to communicate the relevant features to your fellow player.

For an even harder game with experienced players, ban talk about your cards altogether. (Comlinks between marines are down!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Carthoris pointed out, the limited communication rules are what I call an "anti-alpha" rules. It's meant to discourage more overbearing players from bossing other players around, which is a frequent complaint about cooperative games. I started a Geeklist of such games, but haven't really kept up with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also worth note, when the active player is handling an "instinct" on an event card, I don't think there is any discussion allowed. I could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wwalker98 wrote:
Also worth note, when the active player is handling an "instinct" on an event card, I don't think there is any discussion allowed. I could be wrong.
yea, no discussion allowed, it is right and it is have a point.

Anyway, dont fully understand that communication system beetwen players and closed cards in game. What difference between:
a) More expirienced player choosing yours "attack" card in this round
And
b) More expirienced player just saying that you need to attack in this round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daimond wrote:
wwalker98 wrote:
yea, no discussion allowed, it is right and it is have a point.

Anyway, dont fully understand that communication system beetwen players and closed cards in game. What difference between:
a) More expirienced player choosing yours "attack" card in this round
And
b) More expirienced player just saying that you need to attack in this round?

I'd say it's your game, and if you want to play open hand, go for it. The communication rules are meant to deter bossier players, it's not meant to be a foolproof system. It gives something explicit that another player can appeal to. Obviously, someone wildly overbearing can still make an ass of himself. In those cases, flip the table and walk out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Daimond"]Tomorrow i want buy this game, i had already readied the rules, but cant understand a communication aspect between players. What a point to play with closed cards if i can talk about them? And in other way, after 1st playing card into game, all other players will see that card and can memorize it? [/q

I was puzzled by this at well, but the gist is that if you are in a hostile group of players that are trying to force you to make decisions that might eliminate your marines (because player elimination is bad mmkay) you have a backup in the rules that allows you to make decisions without the bias of other players.

I could not imagine being in the above situation, but I am glad they included it regardless. We play with our cards face up on the table and use the team counters to mark our action choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook96 wrote:
Daimond wrote:
Tomorrow i want buy this game, i had already readied the rules, but cant understand a communication aspect between players. What a point to play with closed cards if i can talk about them? And in other way, after 1st playing card into game, all other players will see that card and can memorize it?

I was puzzled by this at well, but the gist is that if you are in a hostile group of players that are trying to force you to make decisions that might eliminate your marines (because player elimination is bad mmkay) you have a backup in the rules that allows you to make decisions without the bias of other players.

I could not imagine being in the above situation, but I am glad they included it regardless. We play with our cards face up on the table and use the team counters to mark our action choices.

They won't try to eliminate your marines unless they are deliberately trying to lose.

If they are trying to win they would tell you what you have to do on your turn instead.

The rule is supposed to make that a bit more difficult: if they don't know the cards by heart* you can withold information, making it extremely clear that you do not like how the team is playing.

It is not very effective.
As Scottgun said, it is not foolproof. It is a tiny leverage. But if they are not dumb or too competitive, maybe they will get the drift.

* that means, like, 4 or 5 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.