Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm asking this from memory, so bear with me:

Simon Bolivar allows a player to get VP for getting rid of Colonies. Our question was this:

Do you get the points if you simply buy a new colony if that means you're replacing an old one because your colony spaces are already full? Or, alternately, do you need to remove a colony (getting the points) and let that space remain empty until it's your turn again, i.e. on your next action?

We played it that the player had to remove the colony as an action, getting his point, but allowing an additional turn to pass before he could buy his next colony. This works, but it's much more risky...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. IMO, you get points for Bolivar if you empty your colony slot and remove the card. Buying a new colony and discarding an old one is not removing a colony for me. Bolivar is a good advisor if you still hold ancient (0 VP) colony but you don't have enough military to buy a new one that is worth more VPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason it was a question is because, if your slots are already full, you have to remove a card when you buy a new one. So it's sort of built in...

Sort of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Directly from the rulebook section about buying progress cards, emphasis mine:

If you have no free spaces for that type of
card remove an old card from play to make room for the
new card.

Seems pretty simple to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it the same way you did. However, I was just looking at the rules, and in the description of the board where it talks about the colony, it says:

Quote:
These two slots are reserved for the Colonies you conquer. As a general rule, you may have two Colonies at a time. When you acquire a third, you must remove either of the previous ones at your choice.

Based on that, I think we played it wrong since it says you can remove a colony when you acquire a new one. Bolivar's benefit triggers with the removal. So, I guess it isn't necessary to treat his ability like a special action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asbjørn Lie Parmer
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question, I've been wondering about this too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the exact text on the Simon Bolivar card?

If it says "Action: Remove 1 colony to gain X" then you must spend your entire turn to just remove the colony and get X.

If it says "Remove a Colony: X" then you get X any time you remove a colony. This would also mean that you can't voluntarily throw away a Colony - basically the only way he helps you is when you are maxed on on Colony slots and acquire a new one.

I don't recall off-hand what the actual text is, but I think I played it the first way (use you turn to discard a colony).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:

If it says "Action: Remove 1 colony to gain X" then you must spend your entire turn to just remove the colony and get X.

If it says "Remove a Colony: X" then you get X any time you remove a colony. This would also mean that you can't voluntarily throw away a Colony - basically the only way he helps you is when you are maxed on on Colony slots and acquire a new one.

I don't recall off-hand what the actual text is, but I think I played it the first way (use you turn to discard a colony).

You're correct. It does say Action: remove a colony...

That's why I always used an action, because it is a special action. Thanks Jeff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:

I was just thinking the same thing...I wish I had the exact text of the card on hand.

I even scanned the images section of Nations, just in case S.B. was one of the leaders shown. No dice. Also, I don't own a copy of the game. Thus the 'from memory' part of my original post...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kamarainen wrote:
You're correct. It does say Action: remove a colony...

That's why I always used an action, because it is a special action. Thanks Jeff!

There's still some room for quibbling, thanks to the colony rules mentioned above... but I think this is probably going to be the consensus, and (as a bonus!) the correct interpretation.

As an action = use entire turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arnaud roussel
Canada
st Leonard
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
What is before column (: ) is the requirement to what follows.
Something written like X:Y clearly means:
If X, then Y.

So if an action is required in X, the only way to get Y is to spend an action (not buying a new colony then).

The only way for the colony rules to apply here and give you point when you replace is if Remove is the only condition. But it appears not (I don't remeber the exact card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. I didn't know the exact text said an action was required. Yeah, then you need to use an action. Buying a colony alone won't cut it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confirm this, yes, removing a colony with Simon Bolivar is a separate action. You do not get the bonus when replacing a colony. Added to FAQ, and uploaded new FAQ file to BGG (awaiting approval).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeroZilla wrote:

Simon Bolivar allows a player to get VP for getting rid of Colonies. Our question was this:

Get a VP?

My version of the game says that Simon Bolivar gives you 4 gold and 4 rocks for setting free a colony, not a VP.

It seemed extremely strong in a game last night. I had 30+ military and no one else had enough to buy the age 4 colonies, so every colony that came out in age 4 resulted in me freeing a colony to gain 4 gold and 4 rocks, followed by buying a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
ZeroZilla wrote:

Get a VP?

My version of the game says that Simon Bolivar gives you 4 gold and 4 rocks for setting free a colony, not a VP.

It seemed extremely strong in a game last night. I had 30+ military and no one else had enough to buy the age 4 colonies, so every colony that came out in age 4 resulted in me freeing a colony to gain 4 gold and 4 rocks, followed by buying a new one.

You're correct on the reward. And I would say it's thematically accurate that you could leverage your military strength to continually conquer new colonies as well. Simon's leadership style of giving them the boot just after he took them under his wing seems rather rude. But hey, who said all leaders need to be nice. Conquer, pillage, and move on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you remove enemy colonies with Simon Bolivar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
Luisjoey wrote:
Can you remove enemy colonies with Simon Bolivar?

Answered here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.