Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Heath
Australia
Crafers
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was playing this game again (it is requested about once per week) and my 6 yr old son was playing George (again - his favourite knight).
I had Perceval and my 4 yr old son was Guyon - his favourite.
They were both in rebellious moods and decided to gang up on me.

I as Perceval met the dwarf and gained the armour nearby. Guyon wanted to take it from me and came to joust for it. I warned him that he didn't have much chance (1 V 3 Strength) - of course, wouldn't you know it - he rolled high and I rolled low and bye bye to the armour. A bit peeved at his luck but that's the game, I thought. I wasn't going to assume I could have his luck to gain it back so headed off to see what else I could find elsewhere. Well, Guyon followed me next turn and attacked again to get some Prowess off me - I thought I was done but wouldn't you know it, I rolled high and he rolled low. Yay, I get the armour back.

Well my older son as George decided that he wanted the armour and duly attacked me - only a 50/50 chance as he hadn't increased his strength above his starting 3.
3 v 3 Strength but he rolled higher than I - dammit, lost the armour again. Now, I was tempted to try to take it back but 1 V 5 strength was just pushing the odds too far.
Well the game sauntered on and George found and kept the Holy Grail - Perceval's quest. Perceval had some Prowess gained but couldn't use it to gain the Holy Grail from George. George found and beat the King which made him even more powerful.
Guyon had lost interest and left the game.
Perceval couldn't win and George just wanted to explore the entire map which had some blocked areas. I gave up.

This situation got me thinking about the differences between starting Strength and Prowess for the different characters.
If George, as the Knight with highest starting strength of 3, wants to dominate the game and be a bully, he has an initial advantage if he attacks other knights for their items or Prowess cards. Obviously if he can gain other items which boost his Strength further, he is can dominate even more.
Knights can't attack (Joust) other knights using Prowess - only with Strength.
I realise that this advantage isn't overwhelming but it is significant.

With further games of Mystic Wood, I think I'll return to random Knight selection. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peregrine89 wrote:

This isn't actually true. From the v2 rules which are on this forum:
v2 rules wrote:
A joust is resolved just like a challenge with a Denizen. Both Knights add their total strength and valor to their scores. They may use the aid of Companions.

So Guyon is at a disadvantage in an early joust but everyone else is equal.

peregrine89 wrote:
Well, Guyon followed me next turn and attacked again ...

Unless you had encountered someone else then he shouldn't have been allowed to. Someone tried to do that to me last time I played and I was glad I remembered the following rule:
v2 rules wrote:
After a joust, neither player may challenge the other player to another joust until the would-be challenger has been involved in a joust with a different Knight or a challenge with a Denizen.

Some things have been changed in the v2 rules but I think both these rules are in the original rules too.

The v2 rules also have a power limit - no one can have a total prowess + strength of greater than 10 which should reduce the change of someone being in a position where they can't do anything. We have ended up playing with a hybrid of the original and v2 rules recently, we've not used the power limit but we probably should!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Donnelly
Canada
Comox Valley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Quite right, John. The original rules are exactly the same, with the substitution of "prowess" for "valor" (just a change in terminology). It's dismaying to think that Michael has been playing the game once a week with such a game-altering misunderstanding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarratt Davis
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game I really wish they'd do a reprint of but probably never will. Bit like Vinci which I'd much rather have than Smallworld. Anyway, thanks for your session report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heath
Australia
Crafers
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
peregrine89 wrote:

This isn't actually true. From the v2 rules which are on this forum:
v2 rules wrote:
A joust is resolved just like a challenge with a Denizen. Both Knights add their total strength and valor to their scores. They may use the aid of Companions.

So Guyon is at a disadvantage in an early joust but everyone else is equal.

peregrine89 wrote:
Well, Guyon followed me next turn and attacked again ...

Unless you had encountered someone else then he shouldn't have been allowed to. Someone tried to do that to me last time I played and I was glad I remembered the following rule:
v2 rules wrote:
After a joust, neither player may challenge the other player to another joust until the would-be challenger has been involved in a joust with a different Knight or a challenge with a Denizen.

Some things have been changed in the v2 rules but I think both these rules are in the original rules too.

The v2 rules also have a power limit - no one can have a total prowess + strength of greater than 10 which should reduce the change of someone being in a position where they can't do anything. We have ended up playing with a hybrid of the original and v2 rules recently, we've not used the power limit but we probably should!

And I thought I knew how to play Mystic Wood.. shake
Yes, checked the original rules and they're there - whoops.

We usually play using the power limit - otherwise the powerful just get more so.
Thanks for this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heath
Australia
Crafers
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SkookumPete wrote:
Quite right, John. The original rules are exactly the same, with the substitution of "prowess" for "valor" (just a change in terminology). It's dismaying to think that Michael has been playing the game once a week with such a game-altering misunderstanding!

Thanks Peter - yes, I have been playing it wrong for a couple of years but up till this stage we hardly ever had any jousts so it hasn't really mattered. Now they're starting to think aggressive
And as for playing weekly, I only get asked about weekly - it's often just before dinner or school so I can't actually comply!

For about a year, MW is probably second only in popularity after UNO for my 2 boys.

Without their knowledge, I have recently bought a copy of Sorcerer's Cave which will be easy to teach with the similar rules. I can see that another copy (and the Extension) will come in handy….
With the use they get, I need to order card sleeves for both copies of MW (one with the Extension) and for SC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heath
Australia
Crafers
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatonastick wrote:
This is a game I really wish they'd do a reprint of but probably never will. Bit like Vinci which I'd much rather have than Smallworld. Anyway, thanks for your session report.

It is a great game.
Hey, another Adelaide Mystic Wood player?
That's pretty unlikely!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.