Subject: Every mini painted on video rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried an experiment here and made time-lapse videos of the painting process of this game. Each video has two versions: fast and "educational". The fast one is fun to watch, the educational one is longer but gives you a chance to see what is happening in case you want to follow along. Hopefully you will find them interesting and/or educational. Note that my video technique evolved as I worked and I think the beserker videos are the best.

These are quick and dirty paint jobs... and the zombies are very dirty, which is how I wanted them (I almost exclusively watched The Walking Dead while painting these).

Beserker Zombies (Video: Walkers (fast, educational), Runners (fast, educational), Fatties & Abominations (fast, educational)):

Survivors and Zombivors (Video: Kim/Doug/Ned (fast, educational), Belle/Grindhouse (fast, educational), Watts/Shannon (fast, educational), Joshua/Derek (rudimentary trial video), Amy/Josh/Phil/Wanda (fast, educational)):

Regular Zombies (Video: Walkers (fast, educational), Runners (fast, educational), Fatties & Abominations (fast, educational)):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could paint them at the same speed as the video. It might be a task with an end in sight then... (Did recently get some spray primer though, same amount of time to prime 40 as it used to take for 1 ^^.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
I wish I could paint them at the same speed as the video. It might be a task with an end in sight then... (Did recently get some spray primer though, same amount of time to prime 40 as it used to take for 1 ^^.

I can't even imagine what it would be like trying to prime the mini's in this game using brush on primer! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spray is definitely the way to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
Smoothsmith wrote:

I can't even imagine what it would be like trying to prime the mini's in this game using brush on primer! surprise

I only use brush on primer... I have all the zombies to do still, but only 8 survivor/Zombivors left. I have paced myself to finish a survivor and their Zombivor each day. Hopefully I will be done and ready for the next shipment. After that, I should be able to cruise through the Zombies.

Here's a link to my painted models, just for fun.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/63443/goalie4hire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
Smoothsmith wrote:

Pretty horrible! But I'd never painted miniatures before and just grabbed a £1.30 little pot of white primer from a FLGS at the time, worked fine for the ones we've done but it's starting to dry up a bit and getting horrible to use, so I thought that seeing as there's 3-5 times as many models left I could try spray.

I won't ever not-spray again! (Well, except the survivors as I don't want to paint the bases for them, unless I gaffa tape them so the spray doesn't hit that bit perhaps ^^).

I actually feel like painting all of Zombicide is a reachable task now =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goalie4hire wrote:
I only use brush on primer... I have all the zombies to do still, but only 8 survivor/Zombivors left. I have paced myself to finish a survivor and their Zombivor each day. Hopefully I will be done and ready for the next shipment. After that, I should be able to cruise through the Zombies.

I was doing two survivors and two zombivors in one evening, but was able to do 16-20 walkers in one evening, so that should give you perspective on how much it will speed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
goalie4hire wrote:

I was doing two survivors and two zombivors in one evening, but was able to do 16-20 walkers in one evening, so that should give you perspective on how much it will speed up.

That would be stellar for me to get that many done a day, but sadly, I only paint one way, and that is detail detail detail. Each of my figures will get the same treatment as my survivors. I might be done by Christmas...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goalie4hire wrote:
That would be stellar for me to get that many done a day, but sadly, I only paint one way, and that is detail detail detail. Each of my figures will get the same treatment as my survivors. I might be done by Christmas...shake

Understood. Most of my painting is not that detailed, pretty much base coat, detail, wash, occasionally dry-brushing. I just have way too many minis I haven't painted yet to spend that much time on one miniature, especially when I have somewhere over 200 minis for S1+S2+extras!

There are a few games I have painted with more care though, and it does look nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
goalie4hire wrote:

Understood. Most of my painting is not that detailed, pretty much base coat, detail, wash, occasionally dry-brushing. I just have way too many minis I haven't painted yet to spend that much time on one miniature, especially when I have somewhere over 200 minis for S1+S2+extras!

There are a few games I have painted with more care though, and it does look nice!

Yes, I agree, your others do look nice, as do all the Zombicide figures as well. I'm not a great painter, but I really enjoy it and the satisfaction I get from painting. Not to mention it has a calming effect on me, so the longer I spend painting, the better I feel. I've done the really quick jobs on some games like Battle Cry, but even then I have to give each figure a different color of hair and facial hair... Static grass, washes with highlights.... Kill me now. I guess I have no idea what a quick job is. modest

Thank you for your videos, I do enjoy watching them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
goalie4hire wrote:

Same here. I put a bit more effort into the survivors but the zombies are a straight up basic tabletop quality rush job.

In terms of detail detail detail - I tend to save that effort for miniature wargame style multi-part minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.