Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Zombicide Season 2: Prison Outbreak» Forums » General

Subject: Every mini painted on video rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried an experiment here and made time-lapse videos of the painting process of this game. Each video has two versions: fast and "educational". The fast one is fun to watch, the educational one is longer but gives you a chance to see what is happening in case you want to follow along. Hopefully you will find them interesting and/or educational. Note that my video technique evolved as I worked and I think the beserker videos are the best.

These are quick and dirty paint jobs... and the zombies are very dirty, which is how I wanted them (I almost exclusively watched The Walking Dead while painting these).

Beserker Zombies (Video: Walkers (fast, educational), Runners (fast, educational), Fatties & Abominations (fast, educational)):



Survivors and Zombivors (Video: Kim/Doug/Ned (fast, educational), Belle/Grindhouse (fast, educational), Watts/Shannon (fast, educational), Joshua/Derek (rudimentary trial video), Amy/Josh/Phil/Wanda (fast, educational)):




Regular Zombies (Video: Walkers (fast, educational), Runners (fast, educational), Fatties & Abominations (fast, educational)):

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could paint them at the same speed as the video. It might be a task with an end in sight then... (Did recently get some spray primer though, same amount of time to prime 40 as it used to take for 1 ^^.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
I wish I could paint them at the same speed as the video. It might be a task with an end in sight then... (Did recently get some spray primer though, same amount of time to prime 40 as it used to take for 1 ^^.


I can't even imagine what it would be like trying to prime the mini's in this game using brush on primer! surprise
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spray is definitely the way to go!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
Smoothsmith wrote:
I wish I could paint them at the same speed as the video. It might be a task with an end in sight then... (Did recently get some spray primer though, same amount of time to prime 40 as it used to take for 1 ^^.


I can't even imagine what it would be like trying to prime the mini's in this game using brush on primer! surprise


I only use brush on primer... I have all the zombies to do still, but only 8 survivor/Zombivors left. I have paced myself to finish a survivor and their Zombivor each day. Hopefully I will be done and ready for the next shipment. After that, I should be able to cruise through the Zombies.

Here's a link to my painted models, just for fun.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/63443/goalie4hire
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
Smoothsmith wrote:
I wish I could paint them at the same speed as the video. It might be a task with an end in sight then... (Did recently get some spray primer though, same amount of time to prime 40 as it used to take for 1 ^^.

I can't even imagine what it would be like trying to prime the mini's in this game using brush on primer! surprise


Pretty horrible! But I'd never painted miniatures before and just grabbed a £1.30 little pot of white primer from a FLGS at the time, worked fine for the ones we've done but it's starting to dry up a bit and getting horrible to use, so I thought that seeing as there's 3-5 times as many models left I could try spray.

I won't ever not-spray again! (Well, except the survivors as I don't want to paint the bases for them, unless I gaffa tape them so the spray doesn't hit that bit perhaps ^^).

I actually feel like painting all of Zombicide is a reachable task now =)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
goalie4hire wrote:
I only use brush on primer... I have all the zombies to do still, but only 8 survivor/Zombivors left. I have paced myself to finish a survivor and their Zombivor each day. Hopefully I will be done and ready for the next shipment. After that, I should be able to cruise through the Zombies.


I was doing two survivors and two zombivors in one evening, but was able to do 16-20 walkers in one evening, so that should give you perspective on how much it will speed up.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
goalie4hire wrote:
I only use brush on primer... I have all the zombies to do still, but only 8 survivor/Zombivors left. I have paced myself to finish a survivor and their Zombivor each day. Hopefully I will be done and ready for the next shipment. After that, I should be able to cruise through the Zombies.


I was doing two survivors and two zombivors in one evening, but was able to do 16-20 walkers in one evening, so that should give you perspective on how much it will speed up.


That would be stellar for me to get that many done a day, but sadly, I only paint one way, and that is detail detail detail. Each of my figures will get the same treatment as my survivors. I might be done by Christmas...shake

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
goalie4hire wrote:
That would be stellar for me to get that many done a day, but sadly, I only paint one way, and that is detail detail detail. Each of my figures will get the same treatment as my survivors. I might be done by Christmas...shake


Understood. Most of my painting is not that detailed, pretty much base coat, detail, wash, occasionally dry-brushing. I just have way too many minis I haven't painted yet to spend that much time on one miniature, especially when I have somewhere over 200 minis for S1+S2+extras!

There are a few games I have painted with more care though, and it does look nice!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
goalie4hire wrote:
That would be stellar for me to get that many done a day, but sadly, I only paint one way, and that is detail detail detail. Each of my figures will get the same treatment as my survivors. I might be done by Christmas...shake


Understood. Most of my painting is not that detailed, pretty much base coat, detail, wash, occasionally dry-brushing. I just have way too many minis I haven't painted yet to spend that much time on one miniature, especially when I have somewhere over 200 minis for S1+S2+extras!

There are a few games I have painted with more care though, and it does look nice!


Yes, I agree, your others do look nice, as do all the Zombicide figures as well. I'm not a great painter, but I really enjoy it and the satisfaction I get from painting. Not to mention it has a calming effect on me, so the longer I spend painting, the better I feel. I've done the really quick jobs on some games like Battle Cry, but even then I have to give each figure a different color of hair and facial hair... Static grass, washes with highlights.... Kill me now. I guess I have no idea what a quick job is. modest

Thank you for your videos, I do enjoy watching them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
goalie4hire wrote:
That would be stellar for me to get that many done a day, but sadly, I only paint one way, and that is detail detail detail. Each of my figures will get the same treatment as my survivors. I might be done by Christmas...shake


Understood. Most of my painting is not that detailed, pretty much base coat, detail, wash, occasionally dry-brushing. I just have way too many minis I haven't painted yet to spend that much time on one miniature, especially when I have somewhere over 200 minis for S1+S2+extras!

There are a few games I have painted with more care though, and it does look nice!


Same here. I put a bit more effort into the survivors but the zombies are a straight up basic tabletop quality rush job.

In terms of detail detail detail - I tend to save that effort for miniature wargame style multi-part minis.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.