BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: One of the worst Kickstarters I have seen to date rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver Edleston
msg tools
mb
I just had to share this one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508548237/bubbles-and-s...

It's not the worst I've seen, but still. Seriously? Why in the world should this be backed? It basically seems to be a Kickstarter to fund someone buying a game and then writing their thoughts about it.

Maybe I should start a Kickstarter to provide a review of Space Hulk (3rd edition). Only £200! For £5 I'll say thank you (in an auto-generated email). For £10 (+£3 shipping worldwide) I'll send you a printed thank you card. For £25 (+£3 shipping again) I'll send a hand-written thank you card and a link to the website I'm going to write my thoughts on. Any takers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, are you Bubbles or Smiley?

It certainly looks like a joke. I see two backers. Fully expect those to be Bubbles and Smiley. Again, which one are you? hehehe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevashim wrote:
Maybe I should start a Kickstarter to provide a review of Space Hulk (3rd edition). Only £200! For £5 I'll say thank you (in an auto-generated email). For £10 (+£3 shipping worldwide) I'll send you a printed thank you card. For £25 (+£3 shipping again) I'll send a hand-written thank you card and a link to the website I'm going to write my thoughts on. Any takers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kursplat2 wrote:

It certainly looks like a joke. I see two backers. Fully expect those to be Bubbles and Smiley. Again, which one are you? hehehe

Aren't projects supposed to go through a screening process? If joke projects like this are allowed through wouldn't Kickstarter bog down into a muddy mess pretty fast?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree. And they have a stretch goal at $1000 to do a 'comprehensive' review. Do they just phone it in if it comes in less?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't seem much different than any of the video reviewers on this site that used Kickstarter so they could buy games and make video reviews/playthroughs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
This doesn't seem much different than any of the video reviewers on this site that used Kickstarter so they could buy games and make video reviews/playthroughs.

Although if they get enough backing they are willing to design a game better than Eldritch Horror. shake But a KS to do a review? I don't see what is so terrible about it with all the KS projects for video reviewers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Green
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I admire their creativity, but there are plenty of video reviews, play through's, and podcast's already.

Just my luck, their Kickstarter will get funded and mine won't. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the two red flags I see with this:

"there is basically zero risk of the article not being written."
So the article will be written whether or not they are funded? This basically says, "We don't need your money."

"Years of experience with tabletop game design and playtesting allow Bubbles and Smiley"
Prove it. Come off anon and let us look you up on BGG to verify your claim.
Also they backed NetGain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:

Difference is most of those were long running reviewers who simply did it not to so much get money to buy a new game, but more for equipment and resource upgrades, pay for trips to the cons to do coverage, etc. Don't get me wrong I am sure they did use any left over to buy new games but I at least never felt that was the point. These two however are basically saying "give us $99 so we can review Eldritch Horror" which means they must:

a. already have the camera equipment as no decent camera is $99
b. already have decent sound equipment for same reason as A
c. hosting of video files is 'free'

So basically they just want us to buy the game for them or pay them to review this single game when we know nothing about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that really grates on me are videos where people are obviously reading from a script(badly). Judging by the popularity of the reviewers I watch, I'd think it's required nowadays to speak naturally. It just comes off as that much more honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lindvall
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has to be a joke project, but if they were serious in using crowd funding to keep their review writing going, patreon would be the model that would fit that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
50K to design a boardgame thats better (=more components as we all know) seems awfully cheap lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to launch a kickstarter that will review all reviews done by Bubbles and Smiley. $1000.

Strech Goals
$5 - If I think of it I'll thank you
$10 - More likely I'll think about it
$100 - I claim it was all your idea
$1000 - I will use your name and give you all the credit for each review of a review I do

Risks - I may get tired and forget to review anything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Green
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Pouvla wrote:
50K to design a boardgame thats better (=more components as we all know) seems awfully cheap lol

Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jesper, your avatar is terrifying. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading it a few times I'm deciding to presume that it's a poke at the culture of board game pocasts and video reviewers who run Kickstart campaigns for their show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.