Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Confreres,

I just finished hand-painting the bases of my minis this weekend with those litte square bottles of Testors enamel.

I think I just ruined my set!

A few days later the figures are still very tacky - to the point that the paint can be rubbed off!

Anyone else experience this?

How long should I wait before scrubbing the stuff off with paint thinner and a toothbrush?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this thread, James, I hope that it's helpful (apparently Testors has stayed tacky for a long time before).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/14113258#14113258

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.
What remains unclear to me after reading this and other post is whether the paint will (1) take a long time to dry or (2) NEVER dry. Two very different things.

I'm wondering how long I should wait with crossed fingers before throwing in the towel and attempting to clean the paint off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never used enamels before, but I feel that there is *something* with the chemistry of this plastic. When I primed my figures for a full paint job (using acrylic paint) the primer did not dry normally either and stayed tacky. This appeared to be a permanent state, but fortunately painting over the primer with the acrylic seems to have solved it.

You could potentially try that as an alternate solution which is less effort than scrubbing off the enamel and if it fails I don't think you're any worse off than you are now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. This wasn't primer though, but I'd be willing to give it a try.

To be clear: try painting over the enamel with an acrylic paint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll answer my own question: I don't think that can be done.

I'm happy to wait a few weeks to see if the stuff fully cures. But if there's no hope, I'd like to fix the problem sooner rather than later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried this same thing, painting just the bases of my WotR set, using the Testors acrylics. While I didn't have the problem with the paint being tacky, after drying the paint just peels right off.

Admittedly, I've never painted minis and haven't done so since nor am I very artistic whatsoever but I really was just trying to give some differentiation on those figures out of necessity for myself.

I've heard and read in many forums that a primer on these is an absolute must so I suppose that's where I may have botched it. And, yeah, the Testors is really shoddy. One step up from a sharpee perhaps. If you have any tips please post them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Testors, the paint might NEVER dry given the type of plastic involved.

They suggested using "ELO Paint & Decal Remover" to strip the paint and to start over.

Live and learn....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so others can learn from my mistake here....

ELO seems very difficult to come by. My Amazon order was canceled (by Amazon) b/c the product ran out of stock.

I've been using the Testor's enamel paint thinner, with cue-tips, to rub the paint off (remember, I only did the bases). I quickly rinse in water, and then soak in soapy water. This works, and I see no damage to the figurines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the sake of posterity:

Using paint thinner to remove the tacky Testor's enamel worked fine.

In fact, I was even able to use a toothbrush dipped in paint thinner, which really made project fly. No visible harm to the models.

I just made sure to rinse in clean water, and thereafter soak in soapy water (with dish detergent).

Each model has been stripped clean of the old Testor's enamel.

To repaint the bases, I've used simple acrylic paint, which you can pick up at Hobby Lobby or Michaels, for 69-cents a bottle. Painted just the bases and rims for purposes of identification. The paint went on great, and dried just fine.

I didn't prime or seal.

Played with the models today, and they held up fantastically.

And the game was more fun than ever - really a lot easier to keep track of the different nations' units.

I imagine over time, the paint might flake off. But it was so easy to apply, I wouldn't mind touching things up again every few months if need be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fenrick
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:

I imagine over time, the paint might flake off. But it was so easy to apply, I wouldn't mind touching things up again every few months if need be.
I just started my painting this weekend. I'm actually painting all the figures of each army solid colors(ie - blue for Gondor, red for Sauron, etc) but wanted to paint all my bases black. Seeing as this is my first paint project, I'm curious how long it took you to paint all your bases only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Taco,

I'd say give yourself an entire day - or a couple of long afternoons.

It goes very quickly (as in one single afternoon) if all you want to do is simply paint a single band/edge around each miniature (in which case legs don't get in the way!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diederik D.
Belgium
Brasschaat
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:

Do you think that using varnish after painting the rims with acrylic paint might give it more durability? I'm also trying all kinds of things at the moment, but I'm trying it on a Descent 2nd Edition miniature. So I guess it's another kind of plastic...
If you thin out the acrylic paint, it seems that it stays on very good. But just not good enough. Has anybody here has experience with using varnish after painting with acrylic? (Haven't used primer, since I only paint the rim of the base)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.