Popular Tags: [View All]
Frances McGregor
Canada
The Pas
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I've got the French version of the game, so I don't actually have a copy of the official English rules. One question that came up in one of our games was if the coup (paying 7 coins) is blockable by the Contessa or not. We figured that it wasn't, since if you did actually have the Contessa, you would be the winner of the game, but now I'm thinking not necessarily since you have to draw a new card if you're challenged on it.

What does the Geek say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

No one can block a Coup for any reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Contessa only blocks an Assassination.

Coups cannot be blocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nothing blocks a coup, as several people have noted.

In Coup: Reformation there is a way to hide from a coup. Players have a faction card (Catholic or Protestant). You can only target someone in a different faction. This includes extorting money with the captain, assassinating someone, or launching a coup. You can pay one coin to change your own faction, or two coins to change someone else.

So while you can't block a coup, you can hide from it, at least for a bit.

In addition, someone has recently proposed a variant called Twins. In this variant you can block a coup by claiming to have two identical influence cards (ie: two contessas, two assassins, etc). See the variant forums for details and discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frances McGregor
Canada
The Pas
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thank you very much everybody!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karlfast wrote:
In Coup: Reformation there is a way to hide from a coup. Players have a faction card (Catholic or Protestant). You can only target someone in a different faction. This includes extorting money with the captain, assassinating someone, or launching a coup. You can pay one coin to change your own faction, or two coins to change someone else.

Are you sure about that? I don't have the rules in front of me but I seem to remember that a faction member can't steal, assassinate, or block foreign aid for another faction member. But you can still challenge whether someone in your same faction has a card. And the way I remember it, you could do a coup on anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In Reformation you can challenge anyone regardless of faction. But you can only target people of the opposite faction, and that includes the coup. The exception is if everyone has the same faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
karlfast wrote:

Are you sure about that? I don't have the rules in front of me but I seem to remember that a faction member can't steal, assassinate, or block foreign aid for another faction member. But you can still challenge whether someone in your same faction has a card. And the way I remember it, you could do a coup on anyone.

Just looked at my copy and I was remembering it wrong.
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
was absolutely right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.