Subject: Solitaire AI? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Katsoulis
Greece
Petroupoli,Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this one play as solitaire? Is there an AI system or do you take turns playing both sides (which is a major turn off for me)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Fish
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick, I play solitaire and I know of no "ai" to run the opposing side. Having said that, I find the game plays well solitaire besides this issue. The Somali mobs add a random factor and I see myself as the U.S. forces when I play, making the most common sense moves for the Somali's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Katsoulis
Greece
Petroupoli,Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your reply. Playing both sides never was my cup of tea. It robs me of the thrill of unpredictable enemy tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
the mobs move in random directions, and this means you have less control over the Somalis. As a solo game it works well even without this.

I dont understand your 'robbing statement'
In these level games you have a limited choices dictated by VP conditions, forces available and terrain. This is one of my favorite systems and favorite game for solo or face to face play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Nastyface
Canada
Tsawwassen
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
@Nick,
I recently designed two scenarios for Line of Fire Magazine (issue 14) that (IMtrulyHO) play very well as solo games because they introduce an element of hidden objectives / randomness (basically a search and destroy or search and rescue mission). Playing the Somalis is therefore fairly straight-forward: defend the objectives.

My greatest challenge in playing solo is resisting the urge to "mulligan" terrible dice rolls. Since this game does not use Hero cards, I sometimes invoke the "lucky rabbit's foot" rule and allow myself one re-roll per game. Okay...maybe two. But that's ALL...I swear whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
TheStrontiumDog wrote:
@Nick,
I recently designed two scenarios for Line of Fire Magazine (issue 14) that (IMtrulyHO) play very well as solo games because they introduce an element of hidden objectives / randomness (basically a search and destroy or search and rescue mission). Playing the Somalis is therefore fairly straight-forward: defend the objectives.

My greatest challenge in playing solo is resisting the urge to "mulligan" terrible dice rolls. Since this game does not use Hero cards, I sometimes invoke the "lucky rabbit's foot" rule and allow myself one re-roll per game. Okay...maybe two. But that's ALL...I swear whistle

her I was thinking I was the only one.
Jack did you do the convoy scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Katsoulis
Greece
Petroupoli,Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I should give it a try then! Thank you all for the replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickkat1985 wrote:
Maybe I should give it a try then! Thank you all for the replies!

If you do, let me give you some quick hints that will ease your introduction to the system, and ADOH. This was my first LnL system game, and I let it set for a while after first opening the game, because it seemed a little complex. It portrays the most modern setting in the system (1993) and includes almost all aspects of the system, specially helicopters. Some of this will make more sense when you unbox the game and dig into the game system.

The map looks stunning but primitive at first, it uses squares instead of hexes. Turns out, squares better portray the nature of street fighting in Mogadisu's Bakara Market. And, the map is really well drawn, it's my favorite Lnl map.

The counters are nice. But, the difference in the counters between Rangers, Delta-force, and 10th Mountain troops is subtle. Look for a different badge icon in the corner. Each organization has different rules.

The Somali's have radically different rules. It's easier to understand the standard rules, and then learn how the Somali's break every standard rule. Not the other way around.

Oh, speaking of counters, in this game system there are Multi-Man counters (MMC's) and Single-Man Counters (SMC's). An MMC is a squad. The MMC full squad counter will have two soldier icons. The MMC half-squad will have one soldier icon. The SMC represents a single guy or gal. Leader counters have a "face" icons. Heroes, medics, etc. counters have single soldier icons. It's not hard to tell them apart, but the convention is not intuitive.

Spotting is probably the most unique rule in the game system. It's kind of logical, but also kind of gamey. It makes the game work, just accept it. The easiest way to understand spotting in the game is that at the beginning of each turn, ALL units are NOT spotted, unless they are. Does not matter if any unit is in any enemy unit's Line of Sight. What matters is if any of the different spotting conditions in the rules apply. So, a unit in a clear hex is spotted, as is a unit that fired or moved, or one that is adjacent to an enemy unit. And, if one unit in a hex is spotted, then all units in the hex are spotted. And, if Spotted, the unit can be seen by ALL enemy units. This resets at the beginning of each turn.

Helicopters are another complicated concept, if you over think them. The way to think about helicopters (and to an extent, vehicles) is that they both operate in a different time frame. In the time it takes for a squad on foot to sneak across an open street (about 5 minutes), a vehicle can zip halfway across the map (notice it costs vehicles 2MP to move into a clear square), and a helicopter can move clear across the map, fire, move anywhere on the map, hover, and pickup or drop off troops, etc. Helicopters can do any number of things in a turn, including doing some things more than once. BUT, can only do some things once in a turn. If you understand what they can only do once, you understand helicopters.

Hover is a helicopter mode. It is just like Flying, except the helicopter is stationary (so can't move unless it changes mode), and Hover allows the helicopter to do some extra stuff, but makes the helicopter more vulnerable. Helicopters can only change modes once in a turn, changing from Flying to Hover, or vice-versa. That significantly defines the helicopter's actions. Flying helicopters can move, and/or also remain in place. But, can only Hover if they change modes.

Finally, there is NO rooftop level in Lnl. A unit in the top (or only) level of a building can fire "up" at helicopters or units at a higher level, and helicopters and units in a higher level can fire "down" on the unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Katsoulis
Greece
Petroupoli,Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really appreciate your time Mark. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnston
msg tools
mbmbmb
stop press ! Mark Walker working on a solo system for lock n load,asof Nov 2014.from what little i could glean from the lock n load forum,it is card driven and MAY operate in a similar manner to the ATS solo module.hope this helps !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Katsoulis
Greece
Petroupoli,Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update Paul!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I doubt the solo AI will see light of day. But it is nice to know they want to try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geromino Pares
msg tools
mbmbmb
Any update on this???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc ?????????
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo AI is out and has been out for a little while. I just received my copy yesterday, along with Heroes of Normandy. The solo AI works for all of the games in the tactical series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Katsoulis
Greece
Petroupoli,Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to reply here! And thanks for the head's up (display!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.