Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Oneupmanship: Mine's Bigger» Forums » General

Subject: On the hotness list! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For the better or worse, I believe Tom's review has catapulted this game onto the #3 hotness list as of today.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:

I hope we all learned something here today.

Yes, we've learned how big of an impact Tom Vasel has on all boardgaming community. Maybe a little bit too much in some cases, especially, if he doesn't like a game (Hawaii example).
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
painkiller wrote:
colmmccarthy wrote:

I hope we all learned something here today.

Yes, we've learned how big of an impact Tom Vasel has on all boardgaming community. Maybe a little bit too much in some cases, especially, if he doesn't like a game (Hawaii example).


I'm fine, how are you.

That is why I like Zee, Sam, and other reviewers too. I've yet to find 1 reviwer that perfectly matches my taste. And, it is nice when a reviewer gives me enough info to determine if I might like or dislike a game regardless of their ending opinion. I'm much more bothered by an overly enthusiastic 'review' that tempts me to go out and buy a game that turns out to be meh. BGG helps out with many forms of data and rankings.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was disgusted by Ponygeddon because my experience with the adult fandom of My Little Pony has been less than good (and the scars from those experiences are only halfway healed). I bring this up because Oneupmanship has given me a taste of how the participants in Ponygeddon might have felt. I genuinely want to see this game gain notoriety, not as a fan of ponies, but as a fan of bad things. As I've said elsewhere, I'd be highly tempted to buy a copy of this game if the money went to Jack Vasel Memorial Fund, because its ironic value is so incredibly high. It's like the board game equivalent of The Room, or Birdemic, or Troll 2, or Action 52. Whether the creator intended for Oneupmanship to be So Bad It's Good or not, he has managed to create one of the few board games I've ever seen which fits that category. Most bad board games, like Bingo and LCR, don't have the same ironic sweetness that this one does. I'm just stunned, really.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
painkiller wrote:
colmmccarthy wrote:

I hope we all learned something here today.

Yes, we've learned how big of an impact Tom Vasel has on all boardgaming community. Maybe a little bit too much in some cases, especially, if he doesn't like a game (Hawaii example).


I'm fine, how are you.

That is why I like Zee, Sam, and other reviewers too. I've yet to find 1 reviwer that perfectly matches my taste. And, it is nice when a reviewer gives me enough info to determine if I might like or dislike a game regardless of their ending opinion. I'm much more bothered by an overly enthusiastic 'review' that tempts me to go out and buy a game that turns out to be meh. BGG helps out with many forms of data and rankings.


Well, DiceTower are still the best reviewers for me out there. They have found the optimal synergy between opinions, rules and length of their videos. I might prefer Rahdo, but never have enough time to watch the long run throughs, so usually check only 3rd videos.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar

I suspect it’s hot, because everyone was attracted to the “Mine’s Bigger” subtitle.

Me? I wondered if it might be a mining game.



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's RAHDO's obvious passion and unbridled enthusiasm coupled with his obvious deep understanding of each game he explains that makes him tops in my book.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Reznor
msg tools
mb
Has anyone been to the Oneupmanship-website? Pure sadness. The guy with his family, proud of his product, playing it with his kids... and we all know it's a piece of sh*t that's not going to make any money and doesn't deserve to. Just weird. You'd expect some schmuck douchebag, especially because of the really dumb humour of the game and then it's a family father who's actually proud of his accomplishment with this crappy game. Reality's gonna hit him so hard...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
mathgrant wrote:
I'd be highly tempted to buy a copy of this game ...because its ironic value is so incredibly high.


That's what I fear. That people will actually give this guy their money for this garbage due to its perceived "ironic" value. I can't wait for the day when somethings "ironic" value becomes a thing of the distant past.


I can't claim to know whether there will be some day in the future when saying something is "so bad it's good" will be rarer, as the culture's values morph and bad becomes unequivocally bad. For now, though, I can say that movies like The Room, Birdemic, and Troll 2 have tremendous fan followings. Is it good that they have these followings? Is it bad? I don't know. But I know it's a fact.

Also, I'd like to point out that in your quote, you excluded the part where I'd buy the game if the money went to Jack Vasel Memorial Fund. This is not "giv[ing] this guy their money for this garbage", although I suppose it's giving him press.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bayard catron
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mathgrant wrote:
I'd be highly tempted to buy a copy of this game if the money went to Jack Vasel Memorial Fund, because its ironic value is so incredibly high.


If Tom hasn't thrown it away yet (as threatened) maybe you can buy his copy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bayard wrote:
mathgrant wrote:
I'd be highly tempted to buy a copy of this game if the money went to Jack Vasel Memorial Fund, because its ironic value is so incredibly high.


If Tom hasn't thrown it away yet (as threatened) maybe you can buy his copy.


I'd buy the box inserts for a few dollars. I hope he kept those, if nothing else.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferox Arcanum
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
9inchnail wrote:
Has anyone been to the Oneupmanship-website? Pure sadness. The guy with his family, proud of his product, playing it with his kids... and we all know it's a piece of sh*t that's not going to make any money and doesn't deserve to. Just weird. You'd expect some schmuck douchebag, especially because of the really dumb humour of the game and then it's a family father who's actually proud of his accomplishment with this crappy game. Reality's gonna hit him so hard...


It really is weird. Some of what I read on there make me think the same as you, but the other half makes me think this is a massive joke he is playing on everyone.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My theory is he played Cards Against Humanity once, and was one of those people who said, "Hey, this is easy. Let's make a game." and then proceeded to do what he thought was his funny, minimalist version of Monopoly.

Part of it is that he probably DOES think everyone here is beneath him and that he's so smart that he'll come up with a game that all of us losers will snap up and he'll make a killing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
I refuse to believe the guy really believes in the game. There are o many things that point yo thus being on purpose. I feel like he is attempting to ridicule and show up the kickstarter method of marketing games, though I don't agree with the sentiment if that is the case.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether he is some sad, delusional, right wing city boy or he is being sardonic it'll never change the fact that the game is shit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder who submitted this game onto BGG and who sent it to Tom. Was it really the designer himself? Or someone who was helping him.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
9inchnail wrote:
Reality's gonna hit him so hard...


Seeing what I have of the "designer," I'm not so sure reality will hit him at all. He seems inoculated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
9inchnail wrote:
Has anyone been to the Oneupmanship-website? Pure sadness. The guy with his family, proud of his product, playing it with his kids... and we all know it's a piece of **** that's not going to make any money and doesn't deserve to. Just weird. You'd expect some schmuck douchebag, especially because of the really dumb humour of the game and then it's a family father who's actually proud of his accomplishment with this crappy game. Reality's gonna hit him so hard...

He and his kids may really enjoy it.

No, I'm not being sarcastic. I watched the review. I agree that it's not a game that I would have any interest in, and most of the people here wouldn't, either. But a lot of the issues that Tom had with the game is that it's not a strategy game; it's a party game masquerading as a strategy game. You would have to play it with a "Who gives a damn, we're playing to have fun and make dumb jokes with each other" attitude. IE, play it like a party game. At the end of the day, it's all about the bravado. Sorta fitting the theme, actually.

No, I'm not going to buy it. I like strategy games, I dislike most party games, and I really, really hate games where winning or losing is purely up to the dice. That's the reason I never got CandyLand for my kids. But there are people who would actually enjoy the "take that" approach to the game. Those people are not common to the Geek, of course; most people here are fully in Tom's "must have strategy" camp.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No f*****g way my kids are swallowing unknown pills as part of the game. The graphic design is terrible even for a party game. I actually find the theme quite distasteful as well, not the capitalist theme itself but the preppy frat humour unfunny sardonic money evangelising. It's like a game a strongly right wing hedge fund manager would make thinking it's really ironic. Yuk..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
I watched the review. I agree that it's not a game that I would have any interest in, and most of the people here wouldn't, either. But a lot of the issues that Tom had with the game is that it's not a strategy game; it's a party game masquerading as a strategy game. You would have to play it with a "Who gives a damn, we're playing to have fun and make dumb jokes with each other" attitude. IE, play it like a party game. At the end of the day, it's all about the bravado. Sorta fitting the theme, actually.


Except that Tom also complained about the humor being forced and unfunny, making this a bad party game, as well. Plus, people like party games to actually terminate!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NeoGenesisX wrote:
For the better or worse, I believe Tom's review has catapulted this game onto the #3 hotness list as of today.


Wow, talk about 15 minutes of fame. It got higher than my W.W.B game, but seems to have dropped faster. How long was it up there?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It disappeared before the weekend, I believe on Friday.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mathgrant wrote:
Xelto wrote:
I watched the review. I agree that it's not a game that I would have any interest in, and most of the people here wouldn't, either. But a lot of the issues that Tom had with the game is that it's not a strategy game; it's a party game masquerading as a strategy game. You would have to play it with a "Who gives a damn, we're playing to have fun and make dumb jokes with each other" attitude. IE, play it like a party game. At the end of the day, it's all about the bravado. Sorta fitting the theme, actually.

Except that Tom also complained about the humor being forced and unfunny, making this a bad party game, as well. Plus, people like party games to actually terminate!

I didn't say I would enjoy it. I didn't say you would enjoy it. I sure as hell know that Tom didn't enjoy it. I said that he and his kids might do so. Some people actually like that type of dumb humor, and the gameplay fits in with it perfectly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mathgrant wrote:


Also, I'd like to point out that in your quote, you excluded the part where I'd buy the game if the money went to Jack Vasel Memorial Fund. This is not "giv[ing] this guy their money for this garbage", although I suppose it's giving him press.


If anyone wants to help out, I am willing to have my W.W.B game sold, with all profits on my end going to the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund, or Child's Play, or any other suitable charity. I need help here to get this to work. Please drop me a line if you see this, and have ideas how to help.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.