♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
--post a normal "One does not simply" meme photo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:

But they used Apple Maps instead...so they had to walk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oi_you_nutter wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

But they used Apple Maps instead...so they had to walk :D
Are the new iShallnotpass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaky Ulnas
Canada
Steinbach
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Yet feet that wandering have gone
badge
Turn at last to home afar
mbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:

Be it as it may, it's probably still easier to take this scene seriously than "They're taking the hobbits to Isengard" now, at least for me:

(Same with the "Tell me where is Gandalf" line)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:

Anymore?

Jackson's travesty was a joke through and through even from the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
I got all excited and thought I would see if my iPhone GPS would give me a route to mordor. It came up with the motor vehicle administration. Sounds about right.

I tried google maps and google thinks Mordor is in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
jeffwiles wrote:

Anymore?

Comments like this make the baby Sauron cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Green
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb

The first "One does not simply..." images I saw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so glad that the "One does not simply walk into Mordor" line is only from the movie as it would make no sense in the book anyway-- not that the movies make any sense after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
jeffwiles wrote:

Anymore?

really? I mean, if there was ever a set of movies that 90% of people could agree were at the minimum DECENT at best epic it would be the LOTR trilogy. Or are you hates stuff guy? Its cool if you are, I am just asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
whac3 wrote:
jeffwiles wrote:

Anymore?

really? I mean, if there was ever a set of movies that 90% of people could agree were at the minimum DECENT at best epic it would be the LOTR trilogy. Or are you hates stuff guy? Its cool if you are, I am just asking.

PJ's LOTR was an atrocity.

Christopher Tolkien agrees:
http://badassdigest.com/2013/01/09/why-jrr-tolkiens-son-hate...

QED

Though the memes are quite funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to the second and third movies just to get out of the house and take a nap. Couldn't stand them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
whac3 wrote:
jeffwiles wrote:

Anymore?

BS

Jackson changed things for the worse when there was no need to do so. He made Pippin and Merry out to be idiots, fundamentally changed the actions and character of both Faramir and Gollum, added stuff for which there was no need and got lots of details just wrong. For example he used D&D style orcs instead of going back to Tolkien's idea of orcs as twisted elves.

Jackson could have done a fantastic job. It was easily within his reach to do it but he chose not to. As for the 90% crack, please-- not even close.

If you ask me, a few years will pass and then (like with Dune) someone will make a lower budget production as a mini-series (or in this case, more likely either 3 or better 6) that is both truer to the the story told in the book and more interesting as a film but it won't quite have the professional polish of the Jackson films.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
I mean, if there was ever a set of movies that 90% of people could agree were at the minimum DECENT at best epic it would be the LOTR trilogy.

Too many people have no critical sense, and got wowed by all the big fight scenes (though cavalry charging down that steep hill is laughable). Jackson introduced some serious structural problems (such as the whole Osgiliath fiasco and throwing away the cliffhanger end of The Two Towers - and don't even let me get started on falling off a cliff), but his biggest problem was distorting characters. I could quote numerous examples (Faramir and Elrond in particular) but I'll use Denethor. Denethor is a great man who has been corrupted in the standard model of a Shakespearean villain (though he isn't quite a villain) by turning a virtue (his strong leadership) into a vice. Or at least that's Tolkien. Jackson's Denethor is a weasel. Beregond would defend Tolkien's Denethor to the death, but Jackson's?

There are things Jackson did I'm fine with - replacing Glorfindel with Arwen worked for one. And on balance The Fellowship of the Ring mostly worked (though the Moria collapsing stuff was silly). But overall, could have been better - while still keeping much that people liked. But Jackson had bad director's arrogance - thinking he could do better than the original. Of course he needed to cut a lot, and make things visual. But it's where he added he went wrong.

Edit: That was written before reading Moshe's, or anyone else's, specific comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
But it's where he added he went wrong.

QFT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
riddlen wrote:
I mean, if there was ever a set of movies that 90% of people could agree were at the minimum DECENT at best epic it would be the LOTR trilogy.

Too many people have no critical sense, and got wowed by all the big fight scenes (though cavalry charging down that steep hill is laughable). Jackson introduced some serious structural problems (such as the whole Osgiliath fiasco and throwing away the cliffhanger end of The Two Towers - and don' even let me get started on falling off a cliff), but his biggest problem was distorting characters. I could quote numerous examples (Faramir and Elrond in particular) but I'll use Denethor. Denethor is a great man who has been corrupted in the standard model of a Shakespearean villain (though he isn't quite a villain) by turning a virtue (his strong leadership) into a vice. Or at least that's Tolkien. Jackson's Denethor is a weasel. Beregond would defend Tolkien's Denethor to the death, but Jackson's?

There are things Jackson did I'm fine with - replacing Glorfindel with Arwen worked for one. And on balance The Fellowship of the Ring mostly worked (though the Moria collapsing stuff was silly). But overall, could have been better - while still keeping much that people liked. But Jackson had bad director's arrogance - thinking he could do better than the original. Of course he needed to cut a lot, and make things visual. But it's where he added he went wrong.

Edit: That was written before reading Moshe's, or anyone else's, specific comments.

I think it said what I wanted to say better than I did although it did not mention at all the same details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Green
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
CrankyPants wrote:
riddlen wrote:
whac3 wrote:
jeffwiles wrote:

Anymore?

PJ's LOTR was an atrocity.

Christopher Tolkien agrees:
http://badassdigest.com/2013/01/09/why-jrr-tolkiens-son-hate...

QED

Though the memes are quite funny.

This one made me lol! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are they great films? Yes. 11 Oscars are testament to that.

Are they great films of the books? That is more debatable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:

Are they great films of the books? That is more debatable.

Except those re for effects, etc. and not the essence of the movie, unless I'm mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
"A lot of people like them and they made a lot of money" is how I would oh-so-scientifically gauge success of a movie, and it seems like they did just that. For people like myself that have never read the books, the movies are entertaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:

The Oscars, an infallible test of the quality of a film. I did consider listing some of the great films that Oscar has overlooked but instead I thought I'd just say Titanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:

The Oscars, an infallible test of the quality of a film. I did consider listing some of the great films that Oscar has overlooked but instead I thought I'd just say Titanic.

Titanic pushed the bounds of what cinematography could do. Even if it's crap as a story or just mental candy floss, it advanced what one can do on screen as I understand.

Surely th acting and writing didn't win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.