Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If I think of this game as being somewhere between Gears of Wars (boardgame) and Rainbow Six (video game), would I be setting a reasonable expectation of what the game is?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamshadow wrote:

If I think of this game as being somewhere between Gears of Wars (boardgame) and Rainbow Six (video game), would I be setting a reasonable expectation of what the game is?

Thank you!

I would look more at Incursion and Space Hulk for the board game reference, as the mechanisms seem far more similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamshadow wrote:

Thank you!

Gears of War is similar in a fundamental respect: area-based movement (instead of grids). Both also uses custom dice pools to resolve combat, but Recon doesn't have the limited action selection that Gears does. Instead Recon uses the command point resource.

Also, Recon is a lot easier to manage during solo games, because you don't have several hands of cards for each dude.

But I think if you dug Gears of War and Rainbow Six, you'll definitely be able to really sink your teeth into Recon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I am on the fence, this would be predominantly solo play for me and watching the game-play videos, it seem far more 'random' than strategic. While it looks fun, I wonder how much strategy there is?

Mind you, I do not want a straight forward, one optimum method to win/survive. I very enjoy randomness mixed into games via dice rolls etc. but typically prefer the ability to mitigate the randomness in some manner... so far form the rules and game-play it looks as though randomness out-weighs strategy.. that said, my eye is closely watching what else MERCS posts as I am almost in for the ride....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are shooting videos this week. I hope to have them posted next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B Wumpus wrote:
I very enjoy randomness mixed into games via dice rolls etc. but typically prefer the ability to mitigate the randomness in some manner... so far form the rules and game-play it looks as though randomness out-weighs strategy.. that said, my eye is closely watching what else MERCS posts as I am almost in for the ride....

While I can't speak to the specifics for Recon, I can tell you that as someone that plays the MERCS tabletop game, the thing that really seems to be missing from the pitch is just how different the various factions are. Each squad has such a unique feel with respect to their powers, weapons and/or advantages on the field.

I know from reading the Kickstarter updates that information should hopefully start to make it into the preview videos sooner than later.

There's a great deal of strategy in the tabletop game - at least strategy in doing the most you can to maximize your successes on die rolls based on the squad you're using. If Recon tilts a bit more towards randomness to speed up the play, that's fine with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaru Rainn
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well I feel in that respect Recon will be like Space Hulk. Space Hulk is a chaotically random game, but there will be strategy to help mitigate the risk taken on by the player(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Phantom Load wrote:

While I can't speak to the specifics for Recon, I can tell you that as someone that plays the MERCS tabletop game, the thing that really seems to be missing from the pitch is just how different the various factions are. Each squad has such a unique feel with respect to their powers, weapons and/or advantages on the field.

I hope this element comes out in the new videos that Brian mentioned. I am not a MERCS TT player, so all these factions were foreign to me. I liked what little backstory was in the KS description and found some additional videos on BeastsOfWar that helped me understand a bit more of the backstory. Hope this helps tide people over until those vids are posted.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/mercs/mercs-week/get-into-mercs/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Phantom Load wrote:

I hope this element comes out in the new videos that Brian mentioned. I am not a MERCS TT player, so all these factions were foreign to me. I liked what little backstory was in the KS description and found some additional videos on BeastsOfWar that helped me understand a bit more of the backstory. Hope this helps tide people over until those vids are posted.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/mercs/mercs-week/get-into-mercs/

I've been looking at this KS and thinking about getting in on it, but will have to see a little bit more about how different the factions work.

Questions I have at the moment:

1. While I've seen the "beasts of war" videos and descriptions of some of the different tabletop factions, I didn't know how/if those same differences will translate into MERCS Recon. Are they all going to play as differently as the "beast of war" video interviews suggest for the TT game, or are they going to be more slight and generic differences for the coop game?

2. Adding to #1, when the MERC faction that is not being played by the players and is the level 4 security, do they become more generic like the lower level security, or do they somehow retain their faction uniqueness?

3. While I've seen this can be played solo, are there always going to be 5 MERCS in a game, or does it scale so that if 3 players are playing that only 3 MERCS can be in the game? Or do all 5 MERCS have to be in the game but if fewer than 5 players are playing do you just divide them up somehow between the players?

4. Also, regarding the extra MERCS minis that come as stretch goals, do they include character cards specific to them or are they alternate minis of ones in the base game? In other words, do those stretch goal minis add more diversity in MERCS character abilities that can be used in a game (their own character card), or are they just the same "type" of an existing base game mini and going to just be an alternate mini that can be used just for a different "look"?

Edited to add #4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Reubens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a backer but after struggling with the rules for Myth I just hope that Recon is less... messy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Joe Bauers
United States
flag msg tools
No matter games or life
badge
Honesty over everything
mbmbmb
Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice.. shame on..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Machado
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:

4. Also, regarding the extra MERCS minis that come as stretch goals, do they include character cards specific to them or are they alternate minis of ones in the base game? In other words, do those stretch goal minis add more diversity in MERCS character abilities that can be used in a game (their own character card), or are they just the same "type" of an existing base game mini and going to just be an alternate mini that can be used just for a different "look"?

This one I know... They're different.
Update 16 had all the different roles they have.

I do have some questions to people that know more about this universe (maybe the designers, if they will...).

I would love to be able to use the miniatures for more than the game of MERCS: Recon... And this universe is giving me a feeling of Shadowrun (without the magic).
Is there a chance of we getting some characters that aren't so much "geared up"? They don't even need to be MERCS... Is there something that could pass as a Shadowrunner in this universe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mb
Symmetrical Docking wrote:

Washington D.C.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

Fool me - you can't get fooled again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:

Fool me - you can't get fooled again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Tchuli wrote:

Is there a chance of we getting some characters that aren't so much "geared up"? They don't even need to be MERCS... Is there something that could pass as a Shadowrunner in this universe?

FCC Houses tend to be less geared up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.