Jason McMahon
United States
Circle Pines
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am entering my first tournament this Saturday and am still kinda new to the game. I only have about 5 or 6 plays under my belt. Can anyone recommend a good fleet to fly that isn't too challenging? Not ready to fly a swarm.

I have 3 core sets, and 2 or 3 of most of the expansions to work with. I only have one Lamda, HWK, and YT, but multiples of everything else.

I am hoping to get some games in over the next couple of days to play with some ideas.

Thanks for any advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My version of Han Shoots First is pretty forgiving and fun to fly:
- Han Solo + MF + Chewie + Luke + Engine Upg + Exp Handling
- Wedge + Marksmanship + R2D2

I /think/ that's 100 pts (maybe need to tweak a bit). Having Han with Exp Han and Engine Upg gives a lot a maneuvering options and Wedge packs a good punch.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Han Solo + 2 X-Wings or B-Wings with some upgrades. This seems to be a popular build and with the turret, the Falcon is easier to fly than most powerful ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
What faction are you more interested in playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McMahon
United States
Circle Pines
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am open to either faction. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add, for new players, the fewer the ships the easier it is to fly. And with turrets, it's very forgiving. That's why I like the Han + Wedge (or even Han + Biggs) combo for new players. A nice and forgiving set to start with.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's go-to tournament squad is 4 Rookies with Shield Upgrades because she can move them in any order and doesn't have to remember any special rules about her pilots' abilities. She won't play the Falcon because she feels like it's cheating (too easy / takes the maneuvering out of the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jamcrmm wrote:
I am open to either faction. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Then I agree with a couple of the previous posters. Here are two lists that have worked well for me in the past, both of which should be fairly friendly to new players:

* Han Solo + Chewbacca + Luke Skywalker + Millennium Falcon
* Rookie Pilot
* Rookie Pilot

* Chewbacca + Expert Handling + Luke Skywalker + Millennium Falcon
* Blue Squadron Pilot + Fire Control System
* Blue Squadron Pilot + Fire Control System

EDIT:

4x Rookie Pilot + Shield Upgrade is also a fairly friendly list, but you've got one Falcon and, IIRC, that means only two Shield Upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McMahon
United States
Circle Pines
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I should add, for new players, the fewer the ships the easier it is to fly. And with turrets, it's very forgiving. That's why I like the Han + Wedge (or even Han + Biggs) combo for new players. A nice and forgiving set to start with.

-shnar

I am going to head over to http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build and play with some Han MF and X-Wing builds now. Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jamcrmm wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

I am going to head over to http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build and play with some Han MF and X-Wing builds now. Thanks for the help.

I'm also a big fan of this builder: http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest a mini-swarm, on the Imperial side. Something like
Krassis+HLC+Seismic+Rebel Captive
Dark Curse
Academy Pilot x 3

You will have three different PS to handle, but a block of 4 TIEs shouldnt be too hard to control and you can always split off Dark Curse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McMahon
United States
Circle Pines
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I just printed out 5 builds based off of them and I am heading to the FFG event center to try them out.

Please keep them coming if you've got them! I appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just recently I participated too in my first tournament. I wanted 3 ships that could also fly on themselves and I had a reasonable succes with this squad (became 2nd):

- Jan Ors with Swarm Tactics, Ion Turret and Nien Nunb
- Horton Salm with R2-Astromech, Ion Turret and 2x proton torpedoes
- Garven Dreis with R2-Astromech

Garven focus's and fires first due to Jan's Swarm Tactics, passes focus to Horton. Horton Target Locks and fires his proton torpedo (this time Jan stresses for an extra attack die), Horton has 5 dice, can reroll and has focus. In range 1 Horton can use his Ion Turret, and so does Jan with her Ion Turret. Jan can clear stress and get away faster due to green straights (Nien Nunb). Jan focusses mainly (to be able to land a hit with the Ion Turret or defend herself)

But the ships also will function on their own (Jan has a range 1-3 for her ability, so use it when possible). Horton will be shot down first: just get the protons fired. After that Jan and Garven will help each other (2 focusses for Jan and an extra attack die for Garven).

Have fun with whatever you choose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This just won the most recent tournament I attended. Packs a punch and easy to fly:

Chewbacca
Blue Squadron Pilot + HLC [x2]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also had a lot of luck with Chewie and 2 b-wings. Various combinations based on your preference. But Push the Limit and the Millennium Falcon card on Chewie are a must for me. It makes him really hard to kill and if you can get a still in good condition Falcon into the later stages of the game I don't think there really are any ships that can go 1 on 1 against the Falcon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Han Solo (46) + Falcon (1) + Luke Skywalker (7) [54]
Gold Squadron Y-Wing (18) + Ion Turret (5) [23]

Three turrets takes a lot of pressure off of your maneuvers. Ion Turrets will disrupt enemy Rebel fighters, and all of your ships can weather some damage.

Every turn have Han take the Evade action, unless he is safe from enemy fire (in which case you can Focus or Target Lock). Remember to use Han's ability to re-roll bad attack rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:

Three turrets takes a lot of pressure off of your maneuvers. Ion Turrets will disrupt enemy Rebel fighters, and all of your ships can weather some damage.

Every turn have Han take the Evade action, unless he is safe from enemy fire (in which case you can Focus or Target Lock). Remember to use Han's ability to re-roll bad attack rolls.

That's the exact squad I took to the last two tournaments and it's won 6 out of 7 matches (only losing out to Biggs Walks the Dogs). The squad builder calls it "Scruffy Looking Nerf Herders". My only reason for not suggesting it is that it takes a little experience in maneuvering to use the Y-Wings efficiently (and spotting where the enemy would fly asteroid wise). But it's a fun trio to fly.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McMahon
United States
Circle Pines
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:

I flew this twice last night and really liked it. I lost both, but almost took the last game. If I could have it with my Ion Turret I would have sent his last ship right off the board. The dice just weren't rolling in my favor. A little more practice and I might have my favorite.

I also really like flying Bloody Daggers.

2 Dagger Squadron Pilots and 2 Red Squadron Pilots.

I just can't decide if I like Advanced Sensors (I have a buddy that will borrow me the extra card I need) or Ion Cannons on the Daggers more. I am going to go with one of these builds on Saturday I think.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McMahon
United States
Circle Pines
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Menghini wrote:
Just recently I participated too in my first tournament. I wanted 3 ships that could also fly on themselves and I had a reasonable succes with this squad (became 2nd):

- Jan Ors with Swarm Tactics, Ion Turret and Nien Nunb
- Horton Salm with R2-Astromech, Ion Turret and 2x proton torpedoes
- Garven Dreis with R2-Astromech

Garven focus's and fires first due to Jan's Swarm Tactics, passes focus to Horton. Horton Target Locks and fires his proton torpedo (this time Jan stresses for an extra attack die), Horton has 5 dice, can reroll and has focus. In range 1 Horton can use his Ion Turret, and so does Jan with her Ion Turret. Jan can clear stress and get away faster due to green straights (Nien Nunb). Jan focusses mainly (to be able to land a hit with the Ion Turret or defend herself)

But the ships also will function on their own (Jan has a range 1-3 for her ability, so use it when possible). Horton will be shot down first: just get the protons fired. After that Jan and Garven will help each other (2 focusses for Jan and an extra attack die for Garven).

Have fun with whatever you choose!

I like this one a lot too, but feel I need to work myself up to it. There is a lot of stuff to remember in order to pull it off correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.