Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Xiangqi» Forums » General

Subject: Do I own this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was on vacation in Missouri a while back, I purchased a wooden Go board that I found in a Chinese market. On the back of that board was what I suspected at the time to be a Xiangqi board. However, I didn't have any pieces, so I never pursued it.



I was in New York in January and was browsing some shops in Chinatown when I found a small plastic box that claimed to be Chinese Chess. See no harm in dropping $2.75 on this regardless of what it was, I bought it. I noticed when I got home that the board (made of a thin plastic film, it seems) looked very similar to the back of my Go board.



The pieces were simply characters, which I'm having problems comparing to many characters I see online.



So, can anyone tell me if these are actually Xiangqi pieces? And a Xiangqi board?

Edit: Why did BGG upload this pictures upside down? Hrmm...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you have Xiangqi
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As the poster above said, these are Xiangqi pieces and you have two boards for it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you just need to learn how to play...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
Now you just need to learn how to play...

True enough.

Can I use these same pieces and boards for Changgi?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the first board you've depicted is a Changgi board. Distinguished by not having a river separating the two sides and the board having a flattened appearance of the grid.
The second set is a Xiangqi set.

My experience is that Changgi pieces and boards can be sold separately, while this is never the case with Xiangqi sets. Which may explain why you have just the board but not the pieces (which are easily distinguishable from Xiangqi pieces, albeit similar).

Of course, you can play both games with either type of set.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Keng Ho wrote:
My experience is that Changgi pieces and boards can be sold separately, while this is never the case with Xiangqi sets. Which may explain why you have just the board but not the pieces (which are easily distinguishable from Xiangqi pieces, albeit similar).

Like I said, I bought the wood board for Go (it's on the reverse, un-pictured). I did have to buy the stones for Go separately, but they were next to each other on the shelf, so it wasn't a hassle.

Keng Ho wrote:
Actually, the first board you've depicted is a Changgi board. Distinguished by not having a river separating the two sides and the board having a flattened appearance of the grid.
The second set is a Xiangqi set.

Does they river have anything other than an aesthetic function? I suppose I could paint my own on there...

Keng Ho wrote:
Of course, you can play both games with either type of set.

And what I needed to know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play Banqi with a Xiangqi set, but not with all Changgi sets - not those with double sided pieces.
I've never figured out why Chaggi pieces are double sided. One would think it would be cheaper to just have them single sided. Perhaps it is just so players never have to turn pieces over when setting up the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Keng Ho wrote:
You can play Banqi with a Xiangqi set, but not with all Changgi sets - not those with double sided pieces.
I've never figured out why Chaggi pieces are double sided. One would think it would be cheaper to just have them single sided. Perhaps it is just so players never have to turn pieces over when setting up the game.

My pieces aren't double-sided--just plain wood on the reverse.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedantically, what you have on the other side is a Baduk board, which is what Koreans call Go.

The river is traditional. There is a function in Xiangqi in that the Xiang (elephant) pieces cannot cross the river and the pawns do not attack/move horizontally till after they cross the river.

In Changgi, the Elephant has a different move and is not restricted to any particular portion of the board. Pawns have the horizontal attack/move right from their starting position. So there's no need for a river to demarcate territory.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The pieces you have are from the Xiangqi set, so they wouldn't be expected to be double sided.

logopolys wrote:
Keng Ho wrote:
You can play Banqi with a Xiangqi set, but not with all Changgi sets - not those with double sided pieces.
I've never figured out why Chaggi pieces are double sided. One would think it would be cheaper to just have them single sided. Perhaps it is just so players never have to turn pieces over when setting up the game.

My pieces aren't double-sided--just plain wood on the reverse.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
Edit: Why did BGG upload this pictures upside down? Hrmm...


If you were holding your camera/cell phone upside down when you actually made the photos, I can answer that question.

Edit: actually that came off entirely wrong and not at all the way I intended.... what I should have said was that if you were holding the camera, or probably cell phone, upside down or at an angle and then rotated the pictures, or the cell phone auto-rotated them, I can answer that question!


meeple

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.