Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: What's This Mechanic And Does It Already Exist? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant folks of BGG, I have some geekgold for anyone who can help me out! I have a game born of a burst of inspiration last night, and want to know if my idea has already been done, and how to classify it's mechanic.

The main feature: you have sail boats shipping freight. The twist: ships move forward by having wind (your breath) blown into sails (cards on plastic holders) instead of usual movement mechanics.

I'm thinking it's just a non-typical dexterity game but I feel like there might be a better word to classify it, any ideas? Also, am I actually as original as I thought I am, or has this been done before?

Blow The Man Down (punny right?) has more to it then just blowing ships around, but I wanted these questions answered, if there's interest I can make a WIP thread with more details on the game.

Thanks again for taking time out of your day to read this and respond! I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nathan
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Der schwarze Pirat
3 
 Thumb up
0.06
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been gaming since the sixties, and I've never seen it. But that doesn't mean a whole lot.

The biggest problem I see is tip-over. After all, the board isn't made of water, and you can't have a keel, so isn't blowing on them with enough force to move them going to cause them to tip over?
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Der schwarze Pirat does a blowing ships around thing, though it uses little bellows, which is probably more sanitary! Just because someone has done something similar or the same doesn't mean you can't do something new and interesting with it.

Edit: Ninja'ed! ninja
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
I've been gaming since the sixties, and I've never seen it. But that doesn't mean a whole lot.

The biggest problem I see is tip-over. After all, the board isn't made of water, and you can't have a keel, so isn't blowing on them with enough force to move them going to cause them to tip over?


Oops. Never saw that game in the States, anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xitoliv wrote:


polyobsessive wrote:
Der schwarze Pirat does a blowing ships around thing, though it uses little bellows, which is probably more sanitary! Just because someone has done something similar or the same doesn't mean you can't do something new and interesting with it.


The sanitary thing... I hadn't thought of. That actually presents a bit of a conundrum, think it will turn people off too much? I just liked the idea of a very different kind of tactile feeling in a game and being really interactive, plus the "dexterity" thing.

It's actually in ways cool to see someone else has used something similar. I do bet I can do it very differently. I wont lie though, it'll be helpful to see how others have done it!

DarrellKH wrote:

The biggest problem I see is tip-over. After all, the board isn't made of water, and you can't have a keel, so isn't blowing on them with enough force to move them going to cause them to tip over?


That's why I thought it might kinda be a dexterity game in a way. I'm working on rules involving what happens if a ship tips over, losing cargo, passengers, etc. It should be interesting...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A BGG Classic

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:


...huh

A bit TOO involved
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Capps wrote:
The sanitary thing... I hadn't thought of. That actually presents a bit of a conundrum, think it will turn people off too much? I just liked the idea of a very different kind of tactile feeling in a game and being really interactive, plus the "dexterity" thing.

People are quite happy to eat cake that the birthday person has just forcefully blown over several times, so it probably won't be a big deal.
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
Capps wrote:
The sanitary thing... I hadn't thought of. That actually presents a bit of a conundrum, think it will turn people off too much? I just liked the idea of a very different kind of tactile feeling in a game and being really interactive, plus the "dexterity" thing.

People are quite happy to eat cake that the birthday person has just forcefully blown over several times, so it probably won't be a big deal.


Fair point!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite the same, but Terror in Meeple City does have a mechanic where you try to knock things down by blowing on them. I know that sanitary issues were mentioned as a concern, but I don't know that there's any real fix for that (other than making sure your items can be easily wiped down).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Akaba. Flying carpets, moved by using a little bellow.




Fluss der Drachen. Boats on a river, moved by blowing through a straw.


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you already have something in mind, but...why not combine two dexterity features - have Traders and Pirates. The Traders are trying to blow their ships across the ocean, the Pirates are catapulting things at the ships trying to sink them. Traders get points for making it to shore with cargo intact, Pirates get points for sunken cargo.

I do think for any sort of "wind" mechanic, bellows of some sort would work better. Not from a sanitary point of view, but from a logistics point of view. Trying to bend over the table and get your head where you want it to blow your ship where you want it to go could get pretty tedious. Not to mention that some people are, ahem, windier than others.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ShelbyB wrote:
I do think for any sort of "wind" mechanic, bellows of some sort would work better. Not from a sanitary point of view, but from a logistics point of view. Trying to bend over the table and get your head where you want it to blow your ship where you want it to go could get pretty tedious. Not to mention that some people are, ahem, windier than others.

This. In Terror in Meeple City the blow action often causes the most problems because it requires you to put your chin on your monster which means hair, clothes, and other upper body appendages can cause unintended havoc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nathan
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ShelbyB wrote:
...why not combine two dexterity features - have Traders and Pirates. The Traders are trying to blow their ships across the ocean, the Pirates are catapulting things at the ships trying to sink them...


Der schwarze Pirat: Das Duell
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xitoliv wrote:
ShelbyB wrote:
...why not combine two dexterity features - have Traders and Pirates. The Traders are trying to blow their ships across the ocean, the Pirates are catapulting things at the ships trying to sink them...


Der schwarze Pirat: Das Duell


Oh ok, thanks. I had no idea someone shared my brilliance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ShelbyB wrote:
I do think for any sort of "wind" mechanic, bellows of some sort would work better. Not from a sanitary point of view, but from a logistics point of view. Trying to bend over the table and get your head where you want it to blow your ship where you want it to go could get pretty tedious.

Maybe all you need is a straw.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
Turku, Finland / Boston, MA, USA
flag msg tools
publisher
Avatar
mb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
ShelbyB wrote:
I do think for any sort of "wind" mechanic, bellows of some sort would work better. Not from a sanitary point of view, but from a logistics point of view. Trying to bend over the table and get your head where you want it to blow your ship where you want it to go could get pretty tedious. Not to mention that some people are, ahem, windier than others.

This. In Terror in Meeple City the blow action often causes the most problems because it requires you to put your chin on your monster which means hair, clothes, and other upper body appendages can cause unintended havoc.


GG to the first person that shops Cthulhu playing Rampage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:

Maybe all you need is a straw.


... I'm gonna remember that one. Honestly, that would solve some of the issues of bending over the board for sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hafner
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Directed Aspiration and apparently it exists.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Timothy_Hafner wrote:
Directed Aspiration and apparently it exists.


Yup, Blow Football.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.