Matthew
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
Private OverText >_< Do Not Read!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Burrow on the Stalker card states that if there is no target, change places with a minion. So, if there is no target, this will not trigger during an attack, correct? If so, then when are fate dice rolled? Is it used in place of movement if the Stalker cannot reach its intended target?

2. When a Hero or enemy is frozen, can they not move nor use actions or is it that they simply cannot move? Forgot to look in the status chart.

3. The Avatar of Winter has no Fate dice to roll for an attack, so is its special ability triggered off a successful attack or is it triggered anytime a Hero enters the target range?

4. During a current play session the Apprentice had played Illuminate (Instinct monster suffer +1TN for attacks) and Sphere of Deflection (Heroes in range gain +2TN against all Ranged attacks) while the Acolyte played Armor of Faith (Increase enemy attacks by +1TN per Faith) which raised ranged crawlers TN to 11. In this scenario, do the ranged Crawlers attacks automatically miss?

Bonus question 5. Thought of this while writing the last question. Do ongoing spells, once successfully cast, suffer from movement penalties beyond the HC they were cast? (i.e. Sphere of Deflection cannot be cast if he does an aggressive move, if the Apprentice in a later HC makes an aggressive move, do the benefits of Sphere of Deflection become Null?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Don't have the card, but I think its number of FD is not on the same line as its attack dice, and this seems to indicate that it's disconected from the attack. Also, while not really mentionned anywhere on the card, I think its used instead of normal movement, if no targets would be available through normal movement.

2. I think you simply can't move, but other cards could still be played.

3. Since there is no receipe, I think it's automatic

4. Those buffs do stack, and if a TN reaches 11+ then yes, automatic misses.

5. Only bother about movement modifiers on the cycle you play the cards. Remember that you couldn't move after having played a card that can't be played if you've moved in the same HC. But once the HC is done, don't bother with move modifiers of ongoings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On number 4, I wonder if having natural 1's be a miss no matter what and natural 10's being an automatic hit wouldn't work out better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
As far as I can tell, Frozen only reduces the number of usable action spaces by 1. Where did the cannot move come from?

Also while the 1 being misses and 10s being hits is common in games, I have seen nothing to suggest that that is the case in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Patterson
United States
Calimesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hepcat1 wrote:
On number 4, I wonder if having natural 1's be a miss no matter what and natural 10's being an automatic hit wouldn't work out better?

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.

The TN 11+ question came up because most buffs/debuffs add to or subtract from Target Numbers. A TN 11 is an automatic miss because there is no way to roll an 11 on any of the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadwolf wrote:
As far as I can tell, Frozen only reduces the number of usable action spaces by 1. Where did the cannot move come from?

Yep, this one is properly in the status table and everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um yea, it is there. Forgot about the status chart. I keep look for terms in the glossary in the front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drahken wrote:
Um yea, it is there. Forgot about the status chart. I keep look for terms in the glossary in the front.

If it's not in the glossary, the appendix at the back isn't terrible. Most of the terms are there. One or two we looked up haven't been so far, so it's not perfect, but I'll bet it was in there (maybe).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:
Drahken wrote:

If it's not in the glossary, the appendix at the back isn't terrible. Most of the terms are there. One or two we looked up haven't been so far, so it's not perfect, but I'll bet it was in there (maybe).

The index is usually the second place I look, but frozen is not in the index, none of the status terms are. Though if I had looked under status, I would have seen statue results on pg15 and I would have then discovered the answer to my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fade2Gray wrote:
hepcat1 wrote:

The TN 11+ question came up because most buffs/debuffs add to or subtract from Target Numbers. A TN 11 is an automatic miss because there is no way to roll an 11 on any of the dice.

In many games like this, it's standard to have an element of success and failure at any level. Being completely unable to hit something is something I'm not a big fan of, to be honest (for me or the villainous scum I'm facing). Thus the addition of "always hit on natural 1's" and "always miss on natural 10's" (or something similar, depending on the dice used or whatever) to reflect that.

It wasn't an answer to the person's question, mind you. Just a musing brought about by the question.

In any case, I think I'll house rule in the natural 1/natural 10 thing for my own games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drahken wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:
Drahken wrote:

The index is usually the second place I look, but frozen is not in the index, none of the status terms are. Though if I had looked under status, I would have seen statue results on pg15 and I would have then discovered the answer to my question.

Yeah, don't have it in front of me, but I was optimistic it might have been there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hepcat1 wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:
hepcat1 wrote:

In many games like this, it's standard to have an element of success and failure at any level. Being completely unable to hit something is something I'm not a big fan of, to be honest (for me or the villainous scum I'm facing). Thus the addition of "always hit on natural 1's" and "always miss on natural 10's" (or something similar, depending on the dice used or whatever) to reflect that.

It wasn't an answer to the person's question, mind you. Just a musing brought about by the question.

In any case, I think I'll house rule in the natural 1/natural 10 thing for my own games.

TBH, it's not that big of a deal to implement in a D10 game anyway. It's less likely to have a major impact compared to a game with D6 checks.

If you bother to send your TN's up past 10, a 1/10 chance of being hit is still reasonable, and success is unlikely enough that that's a livable outcome if you happen to get hit anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hepcat1 wrote:
[q="Fade2Gray"]In many games like this, it's standard to have an element of success and failure at any level. Being completely unable to hit something is something I'm not a big fan of, to be honest (for me or the villainous scum I'm facing). Thus the addition of "always hit on natural 1's" and "always miss on natural 10's" (or something similar, depending on the dice used or whatever) to reflect that.

One of the mini boss have a weak spot, he is strong but if you can manage to hit this "spot" you can defeat him. This Weak spot has a natural TN of 11, so you need a bonus AND luck to defeat him using this.

Allowing you to just defeat him with a 10 on a D10 would not be fun i think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Endevor wrote:
hepcat1 wrote:
[q="Fade2Gray"]In many games like this, it's standard to have an element of success and failure at any level. Being completely unable to hit something is something I'm not a big fan of, to be honest (for me or the villainous scum I'm facing). Thus the addition of "always hit on natural 1's" and "always miss on natural 10's" (or something similar, depending on the dice used or whatever) to reflect that.

One of the mini boss have a weak spot, he is strong but if you can manage to hit this "spot" you can defeat him. This Weak spot has a natural TN of 11, so you need a bonus AND luck to defeat him using this.

Allowing you to just defeat him with a 10 on a D10 would not be fun i think.

Cool concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I hadn't seen that.

And I also hadn't taken into account the ability of players/monsters getting bonuses to their rolls. That would offset my earlier concern.

Thanks for the heads up, Endevor! You've been completely and utterly invaluable when it comes to my enjoyment of this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is really a lot of clever gameplay elements in the SGs boss, mini boss, agents and story elements, this is why i can't stop me from spoiling a little.

Some bosses will make you cry! One of Urulok power in particular
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Picouet
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are making the wait for the additional content excruciatingly difficult Endevor. I love it!

Thanks for the little tidbits and rules clarifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Seale
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
What exactly does Burrow do? I re watched the Boss Fight videos so I know he comes off the board. The first time it happened, Terror appeared to simply pop back up behind the heroes, yet the next time it appeared to wait until the next Darkness Cycle.

Also, what does the 2x fate die on the scorpion card mean? After a success attack I roll 2 fate dice? I roll one fate die per successful attack?

I think thru all of the reading on here plus re watching videos, I think this is about the only rule I don't have fully YET. I know I'll have plenty with wave two as well as when I finally face Yardu or Terror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
rabidroadkill wrote:
What exactly does Burrow do?

The card, as written, simply makes no sense at all, so one has to interpret the original intent of the designer as best one can. I think it's obvious that what's meant is that the scorpion will run up and attack a hero if it can, and if it's can't (either because it's blocked, or because of distance) it will try to burrow underground and suddenly appear next to the hero, pushing minions out of the way. Which is all very cool.

As such, I think the way this card has to be interpreted (until official word) is that

Quote:
When it comes time for the Scorpion to move, it checks to see if it can reach its target with its current movement. If it can't, it rolls 2 Fate Dice. If it gets the burrow result, it will immediately move from it's current position to directly adjacent to its target, moving any present Minions as necessary to make this happen.

If it fails to get the burrow result, it moves following the normal rules towards its target.

That's my best guess anyway. Biggest question is... does burrowing have a distance component, or can a scorpion effectively teleport from one end of a 12x24 tile to another (or from one tile to another in fact) in one movement if it gets a lucky roll? I assume the answer is yes, but I find it harder to intuit the designer's intent here...

Official word will hopefully arrive soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.