Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello geeks,

I'm creating an art print that showcases board games A - Z similar to:

I'm looking for some suggestions for each letter entry. The criteria is that the game must have some iconic component or visual identity that will work with silhouettes, vector art, and flat shading. I do not want 100% Euros or Classics, but games that have had an impact on the industry are shoe-ins. I definitely want it to represent modern boardgaming so lets stick to the post '95 era. I reserve the ability to make an executive decision on any of the entries.

Please include an explanation for why you think the game is a good fit (Or why it should replace another.)

I'll edit this as the list builds and make the .pdf available to anyone who helped.

A - Agricola / Uwe Rosenberg / Worker Placement / 2007
B - Battle Line / Reiner Knizia / Hand Management / 2000
C - Carcassonne / Klaus-Jürgen Wrede / Tile Placement / 2000
D - Dominion / Donald X. Vaccarino / Deck-Building / 2008
E - Eclipse / Touko Tahkokallio / 4X / 2011
F - Friday / Friedemann Friese / Solitaire / 2011
G - Galaxy Trucker / Vlaada Chvátil / Deployment / 2007
H - Hanabi / Antoine Bauza / Set Collection / 2010
I - Imperial / Mac Gerts / Economy / 2009
J - Jaipur / Sébastien Pauchon / Trading / 2009
K - King of Tokyo / Richard Garfield / Press-Your-Luck / 2011
L - Love Letter / Seiji Kanai / Deduction / 2012
M - Mage Wars / Pope / Dueling / 2012
N - Nexus Ops? Neuroshima Hex? No Thanks?
O -
P - Pandemic / Matt Leacock / Co-operative / 2008
Q - Qwirkle / Susan McKinley Ross / Patterns / 2006
R - Race for the Galaxy / Thomas Lehmann / Role Selection / 2007
S - Settlers of Catan / Klaus Teuber / Resource Managment / 1995
T - Ticket to Ride / Alan R. Moon / Route Building / 2004
U -
V - Viticulture / Jamey Stegmaier / Worker Placement / 2013
W - Wits & Wagers / Dominic Crapuchettes / Party Trivia / 2005
X - X-Wing Miniatures?
Y - Yedo?
Z - Zooloretto / Michael Schacht / Set Collection / 2007

Much appreciated. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
b - Brass
C - Carcassonne
D - Dominon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
the meeple is undeniable but I really wish I could avoid it ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all my opinion

A - Agricola
B - Boggle
C - Carcassone
D - Dominion
E - El Grande
F - Funkenschlag
G - Go
H - Hare and Tortoise
I - I'm the Boss
J - Java
K - Ker Plunk
L - Liars Dice
M - Magic the Gathering
N - Netrunner
O - Ogre
P - Power Grid
Q - Quo Vadis?
R - Ra!
S - Scrabble
T - Ticket to Ride
U - UNO
V - Vinci
W - Warhammer 40K
X -
Y - Yatzee
Z - Zooretto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerplunk and 40k on the same print! I kinda like it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Schumacher
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly - not the most popular choice but it certainly is an iconic board game and you might want to use Mr monopoly or the hat as silhouette.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Phelps
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
They call me Troll; Gnawer of the Moon, Giant of Gale-blasts, Curse of the Rain-Hall, Companion of the Sibyl, Nightroaming Hellion, Swallower of the Loaf of Heaven. What is a Troll but that?
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you trying to avoid mainstream games (like Monopoly & Trivial Pursuit)? Because there are obvious iconic images to be found there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, avoiding Monopoly and the likes. I like Go, but I should have a cut-off date of '95 or something. Or else this will just be minimalist artwork of Clue, Monopoly, Scrabble- and there plenty of that already out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Phelps
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
They call me Troll; Gnawer of the Moon, Giant of Gale-blasts, Curse of the Rain-Hall, Companion of the Sibyl, Nightroaming Hellion, Swallower of the Loaf of Heaven. What is a Troll but that?
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
Yes, avoiding Monopoly and the likes. I like Go, but I should have a cut-off date of '95 or something. Or else this will just be minimalist artwork of Clue, Monopoly, Scrabble- and there plenty of that already out there.

Ok, then here's a few:

B - Betrayal at House on the Hill
G - Galaxy Trucker
H - Heroscape
J - Jamaica
P - Pandemic
S - Settlers of Catan
X - X-Wing Miniatures Game
W - Werewolf (or U - Ultimate Werewolf)
Z - Zombicide

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A - Agricola
B - Brass
C - Chess
D - Downfall of Pompei
E - El Grande
F - For Sale
G - Go
H - Hanabi
I - Indonesia
J - Jaipur
K - Keyflower
L - Lords of Waterdeep
M - Medici
N - No Thanks!
O - Ora et Labora
P - Pandemic
Q - Quandary
R - Race for the Galaxy
S - Stone Age
T - Trajan
U - Ubongo
V - Village
W - Wizard
X - Xanadú
Y - Yedo
Z - Zooloretto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Thiess
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've pretty much just browsed my collection to come up with these. I know not all will necessarily be representative enough for everyone, but maybe there are a few here that will stick.

I tried to stick with mostly newer games, but I know a few of these probably are a bit older than you're looking for. Still, hopefully this helps.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

A - Agricola
B - Battlestar Galactica or Bohnanza
C - Carcassonne
D - Dominion
E - Eclipse
F - Forbidden Island
G - Galaxy Trucker
H - Hive
I - Ingenious
J - Jaipur
K - King of Tokyo
L - Love Letter
M - Mage Knight
N - Neuroshima Hex
O - Ora et Labora
P - Pandemic
Q -
R - Race for the Galaxy
S - Suburbia
T - Ticket to Ride
U - Ubongo
V - Village
W - Wits and Wagers
X -
Y - Yinsh
Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Sundt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
www.fictionontheweb.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be good to make sure you include at least one game from each of the most famous/successful designers (inc Reiner Knizia, Uwe Rosenberg, Klaus Teuber, Martin Wallace, Richard Garfield, Rob Daviau, Donald X Vaccarino, Alan R Moon etc.)

You might have to make a decision (for the sake of balance) about whether you want to include pre-1995 games (i.e. before the Eurogames explosion and the current golden age of boardgaming). If you do, then do you want to include abstracts like chess? I'm guessing not - it seems to me like you want to create a post-1995 golden-age hobby games poster.

A - Agricola
B - Bohnanza maybe? A popular early design by Uwe Rosenburg, arguably the designer of the hour at the moment. But that would mean two Uwe games in a row (Agricola is also his).
C - Carcassonne, the meeple is too iconic to miss
D - Dominion (designed by Donald X Vaccarino)
E - El Grande has stood the test of time with hobbyists, or Eclipse which has been immensely popular
F - It would be a shame not to put a Friedmann Friese game here, since all his games start with F. Power Grid is his most popular (Funkenschlag in German), or Fearsome Floors maybe.
G - Galaxy Trucker, perhaps, as a nod to another very popular designer Vlaada Chvatil?
H - Hive, a tiny game that has proved enduringly popular, and begging to be turned into a silhouette
I
J
K - King of Tokyo is massively popular and easily represented symbolically (a Richard Garfield design), or perhaps Spiel des Jahres winner Kingdom Builder (designed by Donald X Vaccarino)
L - Le Havre perhaps, although we risk going into Uwe Rosenberg overdrive... Maybe Love Letter as the game that sparked a craze for microgames
M - Monopoly is the obvious choice in terms of impact on the industry, and with its iconic pewter tokens and top-hatted banker, easy to silhouette - but pre-1995
N - Notre Dame as a nod to popular hobbyist designer Stefan Feld? Not a particularly iconic game though...
O
P - Pandemic is hugely popular, arguably sparked the current trend for co-op games, and would be great to silhouette; other candidate popular with hobbyists would be Power Grid or Puerto Rico
Q - Quarto! or maybe Quoridor
R - Risk is both very influential and great for a silhouette (but pre-1995)
S - Settlers of Catan or Scrabbl (pre-1995) are are both immensely influential
T - Ticket to Ride or Trivial Pursuit (pre-1995) are both hugely influential
U
V
W - War of the Ring, nicely silhouette-able and popular enough to have spawned a collector's edition that is possibly the most expensive board game ever mass-manufactured
X - Xia: Legends of a Drift System, not released yet but one of the most successful Kickstarters and very highly anticipated
Y - Yinsh or Yedo?
Z - Zombies!!! arguably a significant contributing factor to the proliferation of zombie games

Ran out of time for I, J, O, U and V! Ingenious (a Knizia design)? Jenga? Ouija board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I want Hive in there too but I like Hanabi and its a SDJ winner.

I am purposely leaning away from licensed games.

I might also make these fit for cards, then provide 28 "comparison cards" so you can play a game similar to The Metagame.

So I'll also take suggestions for cards like:

"Has a stronger theme"
"Has better components"
"We'll be playing it 20 years from now"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
Of those you haven't yet picked:

B - Bohnanza - classic among the classics and the Bohns are probably good fits for a silhouette. Problem is that it's also Uwe Rosenberg's, much like Agricola. And a solution would be using Alhambra for the A, which is another veritable classic.
G - Glory to Rome. The artwork on the new edition would fit perfectly. Or, cheating a bit, Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery, although I don't see it as very easy to synthetize.
I - Ingenious. Classic design of one of the masters, and easy to abstract away.
J - I second Jaipur, the camels are pretty characteristic. And I can't really come up with anything else
M - I also second Magic: The Gathering (but lawyers will come a'knocking with this one).
N - Nations is kind of a new sensation and the compass in the logo would fit well.
O - Ora et Labora (again, seconded). Yet another Rosenberg, but the specific rondel it uses is pretty characteristic of this one.
Q - Quarriors! dice seem like a good fit. The Qin pagodas also look awesome.
U - Again, I agree with Brian on Ubongo.
V - Village is neat (and a numbered meeple is both a good stilistic fit and easily identifiable), but I'm going to suggest Viticulture and its awesome custom bits as another option.
W - As you don't have a numbers entry I think I can slip 7 Wonders in here. Also a classic, although you already have Bauza in here with Hanabi.

I'm drawing blanks on X and Y (no direct experience with games involving either). Some game slots I'd contest would be The Castles of Burgundy (the great Feld classic - it's unfortunate that it shares a letter with Carcassonne), Keyflower (Richard Garfield can get Magic), and for the T, Tobago (the statues!) or Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar (the gears!)

Edit - I began writing when the last reply was Brian's, any repeats with posts within that one and mine is purely coincidental
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you guys think about Battle Line for B? Covers Knizia.

Glory to Rome seems good too. I have never played it, so I would be basing that on everyone else.

I knew Q was going to be tough with Quarriors a high contender. The thing is, I don't want too many repeats or similarities among each letter. I don't want too many dice, too many wooden tokens (meeples and meeple-likes), or too close in themes (KoT will be the giant monster one)

V for Viticulture is a great idea. I think it also encompasses Kickstarter.

Ideally, someone showing the poster would be able to tell an interesting story about the game.

I imagine Hanabi is good because you can talk about how its a SDJ co-op game where cards face away from you, set in a Japanese theme.

Battle Line is kinda of like- This is a Knizia game so the theme is "pasted on" and its suits and strings of numbers which is basically his trademark, being a mathematician.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't do Ubongo without a thousand Tetris remarks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If I open up 1 - 9 as entries, would we be able to fill them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Wolosky
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M - Munchkin
Q - Qwirkle!
S - Settlers of Catan (I think it's more recognizable than Small World)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
QuackFu wrote:

You are right here, but a lot of people refer to it simply as Catan. My option for the artwork is a hexagonal tile, which I was afraid there would be too many on the print already.

Variety in designers is definitely a must. Also variety in mechanic. We need a trick taking game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Tempted to replace Dominion with Dixit and find another deck builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Working off what you already have listed, the following either fills in a whole or represents a game worth considering for replacing your current option:

I - Innovation
N - No Thanks!
O - Ora et Labora
Q - Qin
W - Wits & Wagers
Y - Yspahan (more camels!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Sundt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:

A - Agricola / Uwe Rosenberg / Worker Placement / 2007
B - Battle Line / Reiner Knizia / Hand Management / 2000
C - Carcassonne / Klaus-Jürgen Wrede / Tile Placement / 2000
D - Dominion / Donald X. Vaccarino / Deck-Building / 2008
E - Eclipse / Touko Tahkokallio / 4X / 2011
F - Friedemann Friese / Solitaire
G - Galaxy Trucker / Vlaada Chvátil / Deployment / 2007
H - Hanabi / Antoine Bauza / Set Collection / 2010
I
J - Jaipur / Sébastien Pauchon / Trading / 2009
K - King of Tokyo / Richard Garfield / Press-Your-Luck / 2011
L - Love Letter / Seiji Kanai / Deduction / 2012
M - Mage Wars / Pope / Dueling / 2012
N
O
P - Pandemic / Matt Leacock / Co-operative / 2008
Q
R - Race for the Galaxy / Thomas Lehmann / Role Selection / 2007
S - Small World / Philippe Keyaerts / Area Control / 2009
T - Ticket to Ride / Alan R. Moon / Route Building / 2004
U
V - Viticulture / Jamey Stegmaier / Worker Placement / 2013
W
X
Y
Z - Zooloretto / Michael Schacht / Set Collection / 2007

Which Friedemann Friese are you going for? Fearsome Floors?

I think it's very hard to argue with the choices and balance you've got going so far.

With one exception - I think Settlers of Catan is such an influential and important game (it introduced America to eurogames!) that it would have to trump Small World. I hear your complaint that your image choice would be a boring old hex, but hey, hexagons are partly so popular because of that game. Any ode to modern board gaming without the holy triumvirate of Carc, TtR and Settlers is incomplete.

I assume you are wanting to try to represent each of the biggest designers, preferably not more than once each.

I - Ingenious is the "obvious" choice, but you've already got a Knizia (you could replace Battle Line with Bohnanza but then you have two Uwes). Frankly, if you're going to represent any designer twice Knizia would be it - he's got to be one of the most prolific and successful. Or maybe Imperial, an SdJ nominee? Innovation? In the Year of the Dragon? Incan Gold?

N - Navegador? Neuroshima Hex? Nexus Ops?

O - You might have to go with Ora et Labora for lack of other decent options. Two Uwe games is acceptable given that he's such an influential designer!

Q - Qwirkle is both graphically distinctive and a Spiel des Jahres winner. You might, like me, find it underwhelming as a game, but if you want to represent the hobby I think it's a better choice than the rest of the field. Quarriors! would be a reasonable alternative.

U - Ubongo? Pattern recognition mechanic.

W - you are missing a party game, and Wits & Wagers is one of the most awarded. Alternatively I liked the suggestion above of using 7 Wonders - another classic - and then bumping Hanabi for Hive to avoid having two Bauza games. Or War of the Rings as previously suggested.

X - Be bold! Go with a soon-to-be released game! Xia: Legend of a Drift System! Sandbox 4X mechanic, with miniatures.

Y - Yinsh as a nod to the admirably ambitious GIPF project that sought to make under-loved abstracts cool again with the hobbyist community, with a remarkable degree of success. Also would be very awesome as a silhouette with its distinctive ring pieces.

Z - Gotta be Zombies!!! or maybe Zombicide. Something with zombies, anyway! I hate zombie games, but they're hugely popular and undeniably a fair part of modern board gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Sundt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
QuackFu wrote:

You are right here, but a lot of people refer to it simply as Catan. My option for the artwork is a hexagonal tile, which I was afraid there would be too many on the print already.

Variety in designers is definitely a must. Also variety in mechanic. We need a trick taking game!

A lot of people refer to it as "Settlers" too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Sundt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An X alternative: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
F - Formula D - the little Indy car would look great in silhouette

X - X Wing miniatures - same as above for the ships

L - Le Havre - same as above for boat meeple

S - Suburbia - same as above for the building artwork on tiles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.