Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering. When trying to design a game and creating (early) prototypes, you can't be sure if it will ever evolve into a full grown, complete game.

So, it seems a bit crazy to pay an artist before loads of playtesting and feeling very confident about the (future of the) game. But I often see prototypes with quite decent artwork. Do these designers use art from the internet just as a guideline? Do they have the drawing ability themselves? Do they actually hire an artist so soon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason D. Kingsley
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably all of the above. Are you asking because you're wondering when to hire an artist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes indeed, and also if it is ok to use random artwork from te internet only for prototype use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason D. Kingsley
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of thoughts on both topics — maybe someone who's asked before or commented extensively somewhere will be kind enough to link to another thread.

A short answer might be: 1) Don't hire an artist unless you're self-publishing. 2) Always ask for permission if at all possible (because it's the decent thing to do) or use free / public domain / credit-only artwork.

Don't be in a rush to add artwork. It can be a distraction, use up time, hinder exploration, and possibly prevent needed changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an artist, and usually work cheap/free for prototypes, just for the fun of doing it if the game is appealing. I think it may be more people like me around
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll keep that in mind ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Washburn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Until you can play the game several times through and it plays the way you wish it to play and you have the feeling from the theme you wish to have do not worry about art. You might want to get a picture or two to help you set the theme these can be pics off the net for your personal in house use for theme, sometimes it helps if you are stuck. once the game plays the way you want, you should take the next step and consider art for a prototype.

and art can change drastically once you are into the art process. so dont kill yourself on prototype art.

PROTOTYPE

Final
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.