Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has really got in my brain. I want it! I want to flip tiles and gather chi!

Lineage is beautifully done component-wise and the game play seems very deep and strategic. The price is not bad. With those points in mind, why is it not succeeding, or at least succeeding faster?

I can only think of two things.

1) People think it sounds confusing and hard. I can see that. It does seem like a lot of content to grasp but I think it would be quickly absorbed and in a few games it would be smooth and quick to play.

2) The $ goal is a bit high. Could be, I don't know costs, etc. I've seen games with more that cost less to produce and games that cost more for less components.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ang
United States
Encino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
With regard to the game being too confusing or hard, for me it was intimidating. But, after one play I understood the game mechanics well enough to concentrate on the different strategies.

As for the price point, I can't speak to that. The components of the demo that I played on seemed to be high quality: plastic tiles and wood carved pieces. But that was the designer's demo copy, and I'm unsure what the final version will be.

One problem for me about this game was that the theme pulled me in to play a martial arts game, but what I played was an abstract game that was only lightly tied to martial arts. While I really like this game, it's not a martial arts game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never really "got" the martial arts connection either other than terminology. Maybe if I was a martial arts guy I could see a tie in but I'm not.

I just liked the game play and look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Robinson
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmb
We got a quote from a manufacturing company - without that admittedly large sum of $, it just can't happen. We'd love to do smaller scale, but it's not a card-based game. A few of the components aren't common - the octogonal tiles and and the smaller square tiles - wooden in the prototype, but bamboo in the finished product also raise the cost and they won't do a run of less than 2,000 copies.

Justin and I ware doing all we can to can to hit that $40k threshold - we just lowered shipping to Europe, we're going to take over the BGG front page for a day, we'll take it anywhere people will let us demo it to show off the gameplay.

I think part of our struggling in meeting our goal is it's hard to describe Lineage in terms of what the game most resembles - it's mechanics are quite different than anything I've played - and my library is pretty big.

Anyway, glad you're a supporter. Kickstarter campaigns can spike at the end, so we have hope that the game bridge that 20k gap in the final 12 days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Stoltzfus
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was personally put off by the lack of reviews. I saw a lot of previews, which to me typically means "paid preview".

For me, and likely many other people who have been burned by kickstarter board game projects, backing a project by an untested designer and an untested publisher is out of the question without a positive review from a reputable reviewer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Robinson
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmb
I understand your reticence about backing games on kickstarter - there's always risk involved and could never blame anyone for spending their money on games from more proven developers. I and a great many others like it because it stimulates the sometimes irrational 'discovering something new' part of the brain while allow new developers to release passion projects.

I will say - none of the posted critical previews were paid for - and they all have positive things to say about the game. There's also a full play through posted on the page now, for you to have a look at how the game plays exactly. I'm not sure it's not for everyone, but we're not hiding anything.

Rick Robinson
Gray Wolf Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I liked the look of the game as soon as it hit kickstarter and was going to back it, but despite checking in every now and then I just could not justify paying shipping that was almost the same as the game itself.
Now it's been lowered I think I'll definetly join in, I just hope it's not too late for other EU people who were put off for the same reason.
I hope the word can get to people who passed first time round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gray Wolf,

It doesn't look good for this go-round but I really hope you do this again. I'm going to be very bummed that I don't have this on my table. I'm going to try the PnP but it won't be the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laporbo wrote:
Gray Wolf,

It doesn't look good for this go-round but I really hope you do this again. I'm going to be very bummed that I don't have this on my table. I'm going to try the PnP but it won't be the same.

don't give up hope yet! Kickstarters can swing heavily in the last few days. For example, I just added my order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.