Myth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cautious Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Smith
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
This may have been answered before by the developers somewhere else but I am wondering why there is such a thing as cautious movement? The movement rules just seem overly complicated instead of just saying 'ok if i move this happens' if i dont move this happens. Just like to know the thoughts on this. I'm assuming some may be b/c of future hero's having certain contingencies on various movements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mastandrea
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The attack cards can give bonuses for certain movement and some attacks cannot be used when a certain movement is used.

I don't have it with me, so I can't give examples, but I remember that if a hero is stationary, they may get to roll 2 bonus fate dice. Another would be you can't use a certain attack unless you move aggressively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
Cards have different bonuses or can only be used with certain types of movement (There are 4, Stationary, Cautious, Standard, and Aggressive)

So by default you have 2 MP, so a cautious movement would be if you only move 1 MP in the cycle. There are items that give MP, so its possible to have 4 MP per cycle so a cautious movement would be 2 MP. (Im not sure offhand during any cases where you have to round)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Patterson
United States
Calimesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Every hero card has four circles on the left side. From top to bottom; open circle is no movement, half circle is cautious movement (half base movement), full circle is full movement, full circle with crecents is aggressive movement (movement increase by cards). Each one will list a bonus/penalty or if the card many be used with that movement type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
oh i know how the movement rules work and the bonuses/penalties that can be used for each its just that i dont see the point of putting in a whole bogged down system that could easily be achieved by just saying you either move or you dont.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Suarez
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Cautious movement is a concept used in a lot of games, mot just this one.

My question about Cautious Movement involves the Brigand. Pg 17 of the rule book states"In certain cases, like the Brigand's Shadows card, it is the maximum movement type allowed."

However, Suicide Run can be combo'd with Shadows according to the deck guide. Is this just an exception to the normal rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunter Hawk wrote:
Cautious movement is a concept used in a lot of games, mot just this one.

My question about Cautious Movement involves the Brigand. Pg 17 of the rule book states"In certain cases, like the Brigand's Shadows card, it is the maximum movement type allowed."

However, Suicide Run can be combo'd with Shadows according to the deck guide. Is this just an exception to the normal rule?

First of all, thanks for the reference for cautious movement in Shadows, I remembered it but couldn't find it in the rules, I thought they had scraped it.

The way they explained it in the KS was, if you move more than Cautious, you're out of Shadows.

So with Suicide Run is, since the card is both an agressive move and an attack, you'll be out of Shadows for 2 reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Suarez
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks Remi. So the Brigand is out of Shadow T the end of the run, but I am assuming he gets the Shadow Bonus for the Suicide Run attack if he started in shadow, since is listed as a combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunter Hawk wrote:
Thanks Remi. So the Brigand is out of Shadow T the end of the run, but I am assuming he gets the Shadow Bonus for the Suicide Run attack if he started in shadow, since is listed as a combo.

Exactly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone tell me where you're seeing the "In Shadows" bonus. Is it on the card somewhere? I'm playing this with a couple friends tonight and one wants to play the Brigand. This is the only hero I'm not 100% certain on how his mechanics play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
hatchhermit wrote:
Can someone tell me where you're seeing the "In Shadows" bonus. Is it on the card somewhere? I'm playing this with a couple friends tonight and one wants to play the Brigand. This is the only hero I'm not 100% certain on how his mechanics play.

At the top of any card that puts you in the shadows it should say:
Combo: +2FD

Or similar.

It's probably the deck that took the longest to get my mind around. We'll try him this weekend, but I no longer have any questions just based on reading through his cards now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:
hatchhermit wrote:

At the top of any card that puts you in the shadows it should say:
Combo: +2FD

Or similar.

It's probably the deck that took the longest to get my mind around. We'll try him this weekend, but I no longer have any questions just based on reading through his cards now.

Thanks! I'm so used to all card effects being in the bottom half of the card that I forget to check that top section sometimes. It's like my eyes don't even see it. Seeing what I expect to see instead of what is actually there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lecanz wrote:
oh i know how the movement rules work and the bonuses/penalties that can be used for each its just that i dont see the point of putting in a whole bogged down system that could easily be achieved by just saying you either move or you dont.

It adds tactical depth. Moving vs. not moving is a binary system that limits depth. Moving, not moving, moving a little, or moving a lot is a far more robust system that allows for scaling bonuses.

Stationary - +1 blood.
Cautious - +2 to your roll.
Standard - no bonus.
Aggressive - -2 to your roll.

Suddenly you have to weigh the pros and cons of getting where you want to go vs. a successful, or extra damaging, attack. Perhaps you're content to move one spot and have more chance at success but gamble on getting a movement card next HC to finish getting where you want to be. The system provides an array of choices instead of one choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.